Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    k5r Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 01:55 PM
    Looking for a good / affordable handheld gps
    Hi,

I am looking for a solid, high performing, yet affordable handheld gps for hiking, geocaching, etc. I'd like one with very good accuracy, yet not off the wall expensive. Any suggestions or ideas? I've done a little research, but I'd like to know the qualities of Garmin, Magellan, DeLorme, or Lowrance. Are there better brands? What's your experience? Please help.
    DanielF Posts: 158, Reputation: 14

Nov 27, 2008, 05:15 PM

I've owned a few different models in the Garmin eTrex range, and found them all good value-for-money, and excellent for the purposes you propose.
    But I have no experience with other brands, so can't give an unbiased comparison. And one of my eTrex units died after a few years (out of warranty), so there may be reliability issues.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2008, 07:00 AM

Magellan and Garnin are Great, Have had both, but Love My Delorme PN-20, Expensive, but worth it, They now have a PN-40, that is even better.
    You can have Street, Topo, Nautical or Aviation loaded and select which to view.
    You can even load a photo with 2 known points, It will orientate and make to scale by the 2 reference points. For $30, you can have a subscription to thei downloads, including 7.5 Minute, and NOAA Charts.
    Look around:
    DeLorme GPS, Maps & Data: NEW! PN-40 GPS - Blazing-fast handheld GPS, with dual-core processor & high-sensitivity Cartesio chipset. Also offering XMap 6 GIS with database synchronization, powerful LT-40 GPS, Street Atlas USA 2009 8 the State Atlas &
    Take Care
    It is slightly complicated, and extremely capable.
    Love it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where should I go for an affordable vacation with my man [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone I wanted to know if anyone knew any nice resorts or vacations spots for couples that are affordable and nice:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused:

Replacing handheld showerhead [ 2 Answers ]

Can I use "any" handheld shower head on an existing Kohler shower ensemble? There is a diverter on the main shower head "neck" and it sits on a slide bar.

Affordable Invitro [ 1 Answers ]

:) Do you all know where I can get affordable IVF treatments and a health insurance provider that will help cover the cost?T

Wireless Handheld Devices [ 1 Answers ]

Please give me the List of Wireless Handheld Devices

Where can I buy a good clarinet at affordable price [ 3 Answers ]

Happy Holidays! My 5th grader daughter newly started clarinet in her school. As she shows great interest in it, I'm thinking of buying her one, instead of renting. Problem is, it's too expensive for us to afford it. Is there anywhere or any way I can buy a good clarinet at as low price as...

View more questions Search