Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grams4ever Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Law requiring school attendance
    I have a grandson that will probably not go to school. His mom said there is such a thing as UNSCHOOLING in Indiana. Has any one ever heard of such a thing?

Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 28, 2008, 12:00 PM

Home schooling has become increasing popular in recent years. Most states have truancy laws that require a student go to some school until a certain age. Home schoolers still have to meet requirements for curricuulum and metrics.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2008, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by grams4ever View Post
    I have a grandson that will probably not go to school. His mom said there is such a thing as UNSCHOOLING in Indiana. Has any one ever heard of such a thing?

Thanks
    I've heard the term "unschooling" before. It is a sort of ironic jab at the public schools. If I understand the concept, it is the idea that education does not need to be structured.

Unschooling

The idea has some merit. People learn 100% of the time. Whether you are teaching them or not. But I don't quite know how it applies to homeschoolers.

In our homeschool, we believe in structure. We have regular hours of study and we lecture. The main difference between a homeschool and public school in my opinion, is that our children are not divvied up with 40 other children in the class. Each of our children gets 100% attention.

How do we do that with four children that we are teaching at the same time? Its easy. Each child gets the attention he needs. We aren't constrained by school schedules. If a child has trouble with a concept, we can linger on that concept until he gets it.

Whether "unschooling" is supposed to be synonymous with "homeschooling", I don't know. I don't think it is so in my house.

Sincerely,

De Maria

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probability of getting a warning due to non attendance [ 3 Answers ]

I work 250 days / year my average off sick is 5 days /year (mean Imay be off sick 5 days/year) if I am off sick 2 days within 13 weeks, I willget a warning what's the probability of having a warning? any help will be appreciated

Why is attendance important in work and school [ 7 Answers ]

Why is your attendance at work and school important to your success? Focus on how good attendance can really help you succeed.

Requiring judgement [ 2 Answers ]

Last year there was a judgement granted against me for a credit card debt, I made arrangements to make payments with the lawyer handeling the judgement. I was making monthly pmts when they garnished my bank accts (I understand they can do that) they were able to get 5000.00 of the 8000.00...

Church attendance [ 5 Answers ]

I know when it comes to issues between myself and the Lord, it is only up to myself to make everything right. However, I am guilty of hardly attending mass on a regular basis. I managed to attend for Easter last year, but cannot find myself to attend on a regular basis. By the end of the work...

View more questions Search