Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    feder Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 10:09 AM
    How to stop leak in Moen single lever shower faucet by changing cartridge
    How do you pull the cartridge out to change it?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 28, 2008, 10:20 AM

That cartridge is warranteed for life but sometimes a quick application of silcone jel or plumbers grease will stop the leak. Do you need instruictions of how to pull the acrtridge, be sure to close the stop under the sink first.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 28, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by feder View Post
    How do you pull the cartridge out to change it?
    Your in luck. My company installed nothing but Moen valves in their new construction. First turn off the water under the sink, then pry off the metal plate directly on top of the handle. You will find a screw underneath, remove that and pull out and up at the samre time on the handle. Work it around a bit and it should come free. You will see a brass clip holding in the cartridge. Before you pull that clip, PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION AS TO HOW THE CARTRIDGE AND THE CLIP ARE POSITIONED IN THE VALVE BODY, yOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO INSTALL IT THE SAME WAY. Pull the clip and take the white nylon tool that came with the new cartridge and try to break the cartridge free. If you can turn the cartridge pull up on the stem to remove the cartridge. For those'hard to remove cartridges' Moen makes a cartridge puller,(see image) that can be purchased at your local plumbing supply house. Don't forget to coat the new cartridge with the silicon lube that came with the new cartridge. Never use grease or oil on neoprene "O" rings. Now just put everything back the opposite way you took it apart. Just follow those directions and you ought to be just fine. Good luck. TOM
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2008, 10:31 PM

Feder,

Like Tom says you are in luck, he is the expert I will also add the following links click on them and will help you too, good luck.

John

http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/L82691pt.pdf

Installation Help / Animated Tutorial - Installing the Moen 1225 / 1200 Cartridge

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moen cartridge- bad leak from shower head [ 13 Answers ]

I have a Moen in my shower and a spout with a diverter. When I run the water with the diverter open, there is still a lot of water coming from the shower head. The only thing I can think of is that the water pressure is so strong that the water just gradually builds up and comes out of the head.?...

Taking out a stuck moen single handle shower cartridge [ 15 Answers ]

This shower cartridge is stuck. The house was sitting for 2 years without water pressure. I have taken out other moen cartridges but this one is again stuck. Help!

Installing cartridge in single handle moen faucet for shower [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a trick to this - I cannot get the cartridge all the way in

Moen single lever shower handle hard to push/pull open/close [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Moen single lever shower handle that is very hard to push/pull open or close. The fixture is approx. 15 years old. I replaced the plastic handle (it was broken inside) and tried to squirt penetrating oil in the valve which had no effect. If I take off the plate can I access and...

Install Single Lever Shower Faucet [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for information on installing a single lever shower faucet. This will need conversion from the existing 2-faucet that is there now.

View more questions Search