Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    josihair Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Janitrol Heater will not come on in Auto Mode, But comes on in Manual ON
    I have a Janitrol Heater/AC Model GU075-3 Serial Number 870707668
    When I switch the Thermostat to Auto and Heat mode the Flame in the heater ignites and about 30 to 45 sec later goes out, The blower fan never comes on. However if I switch the Thermostat from Fan Auto to Fan on The Heater Flame ignites and the Blower comes on immediately. The Heater runs until reaching the selected Thermostat range and flame goes off and blower stays on. What could be the problem??
    The Heater worked just fine last season, During the Summer the Blower motor went out and was replaced.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 28, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Sounds like you have a defective fan and limit control OR someone wired the motor incorrectly when it was replaced.

Oct 28, 2008, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    Sounds like you have a defective fan and limit control OR someone wired the motor incorrectly when it was replaced.
    The blower motor was replaced this summer
    When in Cool and Auto mode worked just fine
    Does the Fan and limit control only work in Heat Mode??
    I watched the cycle this morning when in Auto and Heat mode
    When switched to Auto Mode, the Flame lites and I watch the wheel rotate through 140 and hear a audble click but blower does not start, when the wheel continues higher and reaches 170 the flame shuts off...

Oct 28, 2008, 05:44 PM
    Does the Fan and limit control only work in Heat Mode

Yes. When it clicks the first time the blower motor should work in the heat mode. The second click is when it locks off the burner from overheating. This is the safety part of the control.Since the motor was replaced it could have been miswired and that could show up in the heat mode now since you want heat.

It is also possible the fan and limit control is defective. You will need to test the fan and limit and if it is OK I suspect the wiring. There should be a wiring diagram on the back side of the blower door that you can use to track down the problem.

If you do not know what you are doing and since this is a safety device I suggest you contact a local HVAC professional and have them do a ON SITE inspection and repair. You do not want to miswire the fan control if it needs to be replaced. A serious hazzard will exist if the wiring is not done correctly since this is a safety device.

Oct 29, 2008, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    Does the Fan and limit control only work in Heat Mode

Yes. when it clicks the first time the blower motor should work in the heat mode. The second click is when it locks off the burner from overheating. This is the safety part of the control.Since the motor was replaced it could have been miswired and that could show up in the heat mode now since you want heat.

It is also possible the fan and limit control is defective. You will need to test the fan and limit and if it is OK I suspect the wiring. There should be a wiring diagram on the back side of the blower door that you can use to track down the problem.

If you do not know what you are doing and since this is a safety device I suggest you contact a local HVAC professional and have them do a ON SITE inspection and repair. You do not want to miswire the fan control if it needs to be replaced. A serious hazzard will exist if the wiring is not done correctly since this is a safety device.
    Went back and looked at the wiring
    The Blower Motor was a replacement motor the factory original is no longer made...
    The wiring on the old motor had wiring for LO /Med Lo /Med Hi and HI
    The new motor had only wiring for LO / Med Hi and Hi
    I hooked up red = LO Black = Hi and Blue = Med Hi and capped Orange which did not have a coresponding wire to hook up to motor

Today I moved the Red on the Motor to the Orange on the Furnace and the fan now works... Only thing I can figure is the voltage was too low for the fan to turn on the Low input but works fine on the next input up...

Oct 29, 2008, 07:44 AM
    Glad you got it fixed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No auto fan in heat mode [ 8 Answers ]

Have a carrier outdoor package unit A/C and electric heat. Recently changed from the carrier programmable to a standard heat/cool stat. original stat had a light that would indicate when the filter needed changed, assume this was the blue wire that we did not connect when installing the new...

Furnace fan goes on when in manual mode but won't work on auto [ 1 Answers ]

This is a 15 old unit I checked it yesterday and everything seems to work all right on manual mode but when turned on auto it fallows all steps but when it sends signal for fan to go on it does not work

Air Conditioner - Auto Mode [ 3 Answers ]

When I select Auto on the thermostat for the air conditioning, the unit continues to run and does not shutdown once the home as reached a certain temperature.

Furnace turns off at 'ON' mode and will not operate at 'AUTO' mode [ 6 Answers ]

The furnace will not turns on at "ON' mode. After some reading, I thought it would be the pilot light that has gone out. I re-lighted the pilot light to see blue-red flame, but the furnace will turn off AGAIN after 3-4 hrs. Replaced a new Honeywell non-programmable thermostat today with the...

Furnace turns off at 'ON' mode and will not operate at 'AUTO' mode [ 2 Answers ]

The furnace will not turns on at "ON' mode. After some reading, I thought it would be the pilot light that has gone out. I re-lighted the pilot light to see blue-red flame, but the furnace will turn off AGAIN after 3-4 hrs. Replaced a new Honeywell non-programmable thermostat today with the...

View more questions Search