skkindred Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2008, 10:15 PM
    Federal grants for felons
    How do I get funding for college as a felon
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2008, 11:53 PM

Hi, skkindred!

Has someone told you that you aren't going to be able to get a scholarship or financial aid of some kind because you have a felony on your record? There most likely will be some kind of financial aid available, depending on your grades and income of yourself and/or parents, through whatever college it is to which you apply. Much of that information might be readily available online on the website of the particular institution.

I have heard something about the possibility of grants and scholarships being available through FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) for those who have been convicted of a felony. However, it would depend on what the conviction was for and an applicant's compliance with certain stipulations in order to be eligible. For more information, please visit FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid

Once a person has done their time been on probation or parole, basically paid their debt to society, then they are free to apply for monies just like anyone else does in the form of loans or financial aid from educational institutions, banks, municipalities and others.

But, like I said above earlier, in order to be eligible for grants or scholarships from certain programs that are designed to help those who have been convicted of a felony, then it might depend on what the conviction was for and that certain conditions must be met.

Thanks!
    cmckean1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2009, 01:06 AM
    I received a few different types of grants through the state and federal government. I end up with about $1500 a term after the cost of books and tuition. With an unemployment check of $664 monthly I can survive while attending school.
    I have been attending college long before I was off probation so that doesn't eliminate your chances. I am pretty certain that you can have the same opportunities to apply for the same scholarships as everyone else as long as you meet the academic standards.
    cmckean1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 3

I received a few different types of grants through the state and federal government. I end up with about $1500 a term after the cost of books and tuition. With an unemployment check of $664 monthly I can survive while attending school.
    I have been attending college long before I was off probation so that doesn't eliminate your chances. I am pretty certain that you can have the same opportunities to apply for the same scholarships as everyone else as long as you meet the academic standards.

cmckean1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 3

Aug 18, 2009, 01:08 AM

Colleges have an open door policy. As long as you don't have a drug charge you can go to college.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grants for felons [ 3 Answers ]

I am a 50 year old professional who has a 10 year old drug possession felony On my record--my skills qualify me to become a small business consultant Helping small businesses use proven business practices and modern technology To grow and prosper. I would like to start my own small business...

Grants for felons [ 4 Answers ]

HI. I'm interested in finding information about grants available for released prison inmates. This information would need to be useful in assisting them in starting businesses, buying a home or just anything in general in helping them and their families getting back on their feet.

Is there any free small business grants or grants for felons [ 3 Answers ]

I'm an ex-felon trying to get on with my life and become a possitive person for myself and my children and for the comity that I live in is there any kind of grants I can get to open up a business I would only need about 10,000 to have everything up and going

Grants for EX-Felons [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to find information on how Ex-Felons can get State and Federal Grants when they get out of prison.:confused: :o

Grants for felons [ 1 Answers ]

Are there grants for convicted felons.

View more questions Search