Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srgindersr Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2008, 09:01 PM
    Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
    I was recently diagnosed with IBS and was wandering want a good treatment plan might be or any good home remedies. Any thoughts?
    boron Posts: 38, Reputation: 5

Oct 28, 2008, 12:33 AM
    What are your current symptoms (diarrhea, constipation, bloating... )? Try to be as specific as possible.
    What is your history regarding your digestive problems, when did all start, which tests and treatment you've tried so far?
    Do you have any other health problem, and does any of your relatives have any digestive or other chronic disease (celiac duisease, lactose intolerance... )?
    Are there any foods, or food groups (diary, fruits/vegetables, wheat... ) which worsen your symptoms?
    Anything you noticed that helps?

After answering this, further suggestions can be made.

Oct 29, 2008, 08:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by boron View Post
    What are your current symptoms (diarrhea, constipation, bloating...)? Try to be as specific as possible.
    What is your history regarding your digestive problems, when did all start, which tests and treatment you've tried so far?
    Do you have any other health problem, and does any of your relatives have any digestive or other chronic disease (celiac duisease, lactose intolerance....)?
    Are there any foods, or food groups (diary, fruits/vegetables, wheat...) which worsen your symptoms?
    Anything you noticed that helps?

After answering this, further suggestions can be made.
    Bloating and constipation are the most common symptoms. I've had this disorder for quite some time. As far as past treatments, I've taken a nutrirional suppliment designed for IBS where I purchase at Wal-Mart. It provised little relief. I'm not allergic to any foods nor can I notice if a particular food group affects my condition.

Tell me what you think.
    boron Posts: 38, Reputation: 5

Oct 30, 2008, 01:52 AM
    How often can you go /week? Is the stool hard, contains mucus?
    Bloating is in upper abdomen (any stomach burning, burping)... or in lower (probably lower left) abdomen (with gas problems)?

The following is needed for regular bowel movements:
    1. Regular eating, food contains some fibers (cereals, fruits or vegetables)
    2. Enough fluid drunk
    3. Being physically and psychically active

Constipation may be due to:
    1. Non regular eating, eating mostly heavy food like meat, eggs, suggary food, alcohol
    2. Not getting enough fluid
    3. Inactivity, not coping with stress, depression
    4. Bowel, hormonal (thyroxine) disorder, or irritation by some food

Bloating probably arises from constipation.

Your comments - you think anything listed above may be a problem?

Nov 9, 2008, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by boron View Post
    How often can you go /week? Is the stool hard, contains mucus?
    Bloating is in upper abdomen (any stomach burning, burping)...or in lower (probably lower left) abdomen (with gas problems)?

The following is needed for regular bowel movements:
    1. Regular eating, food contains some fibers (cereals, fruits or vegetables)
    2. Enough fluid drunk
    3. Being physically and psychically active

Constipation may be due to:
    1. Non regular eating, eating mostly heavy food like meat, eggs, suggary food, alcohol
    2. Not getting enough fluid
    3. Inactivity, not coping with stress, depression
    4. Bowel, hormonal (thyroxine) disorder, or irritation by some food

Bloating probably arises from constipation.

Your comments - you think anything listed above may be a problem?
    Hello. Here's some additional medical history: I eat fairly regularly and I consider myself to be active. I am taking 30mg Cymbalta for depression, daily, 40mg Protonix daily for acid control and 200mg Provigil daily for fatigue because of the depression and side effect of the Cymbalta.

If I had to pick just one symptom that bothers me it would have to be the constant pressure I feel in my central lower intestine. Any advise?
    lauren6318 Posts: 36, Reputation: -3

Nov 11, 2008, 12:50 PM
    Are you taking any stool softeners or fiber?

Consider testing different foods. First, avoid anything spicy. Then go a week or 2 without dairy , see if you improve. If not, try going a week or 2 without acidic foods like tomatoes, oj, pasta sauce... do one food at a time. Oddly, onions give me pain for 24 - 48 hours... acid occasionally too.
    faith_hope_love Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2009, 09:07 AM
    I was diagnosed with IBS last year. It is hard to find the right foods to eat, its going to be lots of trial and error.

- your best bet would be to keep a food diary and write down everything you eat and what happens after eating. Once you do that, you should have a good idea about what foods you can eat.
    -Also bland foods are easier for your body to digest and pass, so if you don't feel good, I would recommend the B.R.A.T diet.
    B-banana
    R-rice
    A-apple sauce
    T-toast
    Baked potatoes are also easy to digest

- For me, getting lots of fiber a day will help because it helps food pass through easier, so I use benfiber and put it in my food and you can't even tell, and I also use mirlax which keeps me regualated and having less pains.

I hope it all goes well!! Wish you the best of luck :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Noisy bowel in cat [ 9 Answers ]

Does anyone know if cat can have irritable bowel syndrom? My cat was throwing up, became a very picky eater and has lost quite a bit of weight. He often has a noisy stomach with loud gurgling sounds and has made him a very timit eater. He eats small amounts of wet food and I wonder what could be...

Irritable bowel yeah it is hell [ 12 Answers ]

I'm planning a huge move 12 hrs away I have never been lived anywhere else my panic attacks are real bad but now? OMG I have diahreah they call it nervous stomach well for 4 weeks now I gave up on eating its not worth the misery I leave next week. I lost like 10 lbs and can't afford to lose one! I...

Re I have irritable bowel disease and am concerned if you know if it is advisable to [ 2 Answers ]

I have irritable bowel disease and like to know if it is advisable to be taking a calicum supplement >Moved from Forum Help<

Irritable lips [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I take two micronor tablets each night (as I had frequent breakthrough bleeding when taking only one) and also take endep. Recently, after increasing the endep from 20 to 25 mg per evening, I woke with swollen and irritable lips. I've reduced the dose, the lip problem eased, but recurred some...

Fever/Mucus poop/ Irritable 5 month old [ 1 Answers ]

My son who is 5 months old on Friday is very irritable, has mucus poop and has been running a fever for the last four days. Fever is around 99.5. What do you think this could be? There is really no sign of teething, but heck you never know!

View more questions Search