Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    violet0019 Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Jun 7, 2006, 10:39 AM
    Why Is A Mask Imperative For Autobody Rust Sanding Work
    I bought body filler and sand-paper to repair rust around the wheelwells of my 13 year old Eagle Summit Wagon.I would greatly appreciate some support on the following matter. My Son is going to try and repair the rust on my car. He has allergies, has nosebleeds very often (had one today) and also, still coughing up the remains of flem, from a type of cold/flu which is dragging on for several weeks now (many people here in Montreal have it). I would like for him to wear a mask when sanding the rust, paint, filler etc. on my car. I have not mentioned this to him yet because, if I suggest this, I know 110%, he will say NO! Leave me alone! I don't need to! If I could receive some replies on the reasons WEARING A MASK IS IMPERATIVE, when doing autobody rust sanding work, I would be very GRATEFUL! I know that he will look at it another way if he hears it from experts and not from his Mother! THANK YOU! (would appreciate any replies asap so that I can go and get mask(s) today before he starts! ):rolleyes:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2006, 10:49 AM
    It's quite simple - bits of metal and delicate lung tissue do not mix. No reason to get any more complicated than that.

Btw - I'm originally a Montrealer (West Island)
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2006, 11:55 AM
    First of all, any allergy sufferer should take extra precautions to protect their lungs.

That said, ANYONE who voluntarily breathes in chemicals and particles from sanding dust is increasing the liklihood of damage to the lungs, including increased liklihood of lung cancer and obstructive pulmonary disease. How about lung disease is the number three killer in america, granted smoking is the big culprit here, but it is a killer. And if he needs to talk to someone about how lung cancer feels he can talk to my aunt, diagnosed a year ago, nonsmoker. She has perhaps a year to live a life in pain.

If he refuses ask him why the pros use a mask. People who do this for a living take these precautions... why should he think he's any better than the pros.
    violet0019 Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Jun 7, 2006, 02:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    first of all, any allergy sufferer should take extra precautions to protect their lungs.
    that said, ANYONE who voluntarily breathes in chemicals and particles from sanding dust is increasing the liklihood of damage to the lungs, including increased liklihood of lung cancer and obstructive pulmonary disease. how about lung disease is the number three killer in america, granted smoking is the big culprit here, but it is a killer. and if he needs to talk to someone about how lung cancer feels he can talk to my aunt, diagnosed a year ago, nonsmoker. she has perhaps a year to live a life in pain.
    if he refuses ask him why the pros use a mask. people who do this for a living take these precautions... why should he think hes any better than the pros.
    THANK YOU FOR ALL THIS INFO!! I know it sounds unusual as to WHY?? Someone who has allergies, and nosebleeds nearly everyday would not wish to wear a mask... DUH?? Well, if I attempt to "psychoanalyze" him these would be my findings: #1: he is a TEENAGER!! #2. His character type is a strong one: very OPPOSITIONAL, DEFIANT, DISAGREEABLE... #3. He wants to be in control of his decisions, partly because he is a teenager, and very sadly and unfortunately, partly because he recently developed Diabetes 1, and has lost control of a big part of his life and #4. partly because the male role model in his life is my exhusband, his Father, whose character is very very BIG: assertive, controlling, abusive, OPPOSITIONAL, DEFIANT, DISAGREEABLE (and when they are together... OUCH! - it is very very difficult.

I see you have a little sweet baby. I remember those days... just like yesterday. I used to kiss his little fat feet... but now, those hairy legs coming out of his stinky sneakers... Pooh! But, through all the difficulties, and although I feel like sometimes running away, I LOVE MY SON!! Enjoy your little one! :)
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Jun 8, 2006, 06:44 AM
    Sorry, I see your son's point. If he is working outside, and has proper technique, there is no need to wear a mask.

Even tiny bits of metal will not float. Wearing a mask gets in the way of doing a good job- and is tough to drink that beer on a hot day.

Take away his beer and you can bet the work will come to a hault!
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Jun 8, 2006, 06:58 AM
    However, painting is a different story. He should know better not to paint or if he does paint, to use a cartridge mask when doing so. Those dusks masks are no protection from toxic and carcinogenic paint fumes!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finish Sanding Drywall Installation [ 5 Answers ]

I have a small bathroom and a kitchen alcove I'm getting ready to slop compound on the drywall. Trying to save my arms and back- does anyone have a suggestion for using a small power sander? Type (vibration, belt), any tips, etc... Finish look will be slop and go, so the finish coat will just...

Alternative to sanding drywall joints? [ 13 Answers ]

I'm gettin' pressured to put up another wall in my basement, and my wife says she saw on diynetwork (TV show) a guy showing that you can mud the seams as you normally would, then let it dry only 1-2 hours then come back with a wet blade and skim them... instead of sanding them: No sanding...

Should I buy a wire brush for Car Rust work? [ 2 Answers ]

Someone told me that I should get a wire brush to remove the rust on my car to get it ready for rust stop, body filler etc... any of your opinions would be appreciated, as usual?! THANKS.:confused:

Using Tape To Hold Newspaper On Car While Spraying Products Etc> Re: Rust Work [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to save some money, and would like to know if I need to purchase a "specific tape" or can I use any type of tape? It would be used to hold newspaper on my car, to cover up the places that I do not want my Son to get any Rust stop product, primer, body filler etc. on by accident. I...

Name-type Of Mask?to Use-rust Removal/painting Etc. [ 3 Answers ]

Any suggestions, advice, experiences with mask(s) to purchase for my teenage son to use when he is going to work on my car? I want to have a mask(s)ready and available immediately when he begins. Thank you - I appreciate all the replies I receive! Someone mentioned a "cartridge" type of mask.....

View more questions Search