Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2008, 12:41 PM
    What should we do?
    I have posted on here before about our husky who always wants to be outside, no matter what the weather, he just likes to be outdoors. Well we moved into a house the first week in October and when we were refinishing the floors (loud noises and lots of dust) my brother and my cousin thought it would be best to have him outside. He was out there under 45 minutes and yes it was raining but it wasn't pouring. He had his food, water and toys all underneath the overhang on the garage. Anyway, one of the neighbors called animal services because he was outside in the rain. After talking to the guy with animal services I did learn that the dog needs to have shelter. That's fine, but Feivel doesn't use a dog house. He's had one before, never touched it. So the animal services guy said just to make it look good to whichever neighbors called we should leave the side garage door open if he's outside. That way he can go in the garage if he wants. Ok fine, so we started doing that. Pointless, but whatever.

So last week my husband let the dog out and was watching him from the kitchen while he did dishes and ate lunch and whatever. He went into the living room for a little bit and when he was headed outside to get the dog, one of the neighbors said that he saw Feivel out on the main street down from our house. Very odd considering when we let Feivel in, whether we have him on a leash, he heads right for the door to come inside. The gate was wide open to the backyard, and on top of that, it was pushed in. When we unlock the gate to bring him in, he pushes the gate out. So if by some reason he opened the gate himself we figured he would push the gate out the way he always does. Anyway, I went down to the neighbors house when I got home from work because my husband had already gone out looking for him. I asked where he saw the dog so I knew where to start looking and he seemed REALLY callous. Like he didn't care at all. We found him at LubePro's so that was a relief. I was so worried that he would get hit by a car or
    Something being out on the busy street.

Now yesterday I had both of our dogs outside. Our puppy and Feivel and I was in the garage, just right around the corner cleaning. I was just going through boxes from the move to see if any of them were worth keeping- that kind of thing. Well Zoe and Feivel are running around and having fun but then it started to get windy and when I walked around the front of the garage to bring them in, there's the neighbor standing in the middle of his backyard staring at our dogs, looking ultra creepy if I may add. As soon as he sees me he runs in the house, almost like I caught him doing something he shouldn't be type of thing. Our other neighbors have warned us that he's psycho and now we can't help but wonder if he's the one that called animal services and possibly let Feivel out of the backyard.

Just for clarification, when we let the dogs out, we don't like to leave them out there without watching them or being outside with them. I usually sit out on the patio with them and bring treats out and play with them. I don't know how else to make it clear that we love our puppies. If Feivel is out there for a while (like an hour or so) it's not because we neglect him, but because he shows no interest in coming inside when we call him. Is there anything we can do besides put up a privacy fence?
    aaj2008 Posts: 139, Reputation: 7

Oct 27, 2008, 12:52 PM

You can buy a shock collar.. some say its cruel... ok... well you can get eltrical fencing which is a good idea... my uncle had a husky that jumped the fence... went out in the street, a little girl started playing with him, the dog being playful... playful mind you... ripped off her face... the dog was put down and they had to pay medical expenses to the family.
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2008, 12:58 PM

Not really what I had in mind. We have no reason to get a shock collar. There is nowhere that the husky would be able to jump the fence. He's 11 and doesn't jump period. Lol. I appreciate your suggestion, but I'm more worried about the neighbors being nosy because both dogs when unleashed and I open the gate, run right for the door to come inside. They're not very adventurous. Even when I let Zoe out and she was still really tiny she crawled under the fence when I turned around to go inside and when I got to the house to look out the window and I didn't see her, she was sitting on the patio pawing at the door to come in. so she basically just ran after me but I didn't see her because I had my back to her. I didn't know she was there until I turned around.

Oct 27, 2008, 01:02 PM

Well you can put harassment charges on your neighbors for untrue accusations which won't make it far at all in court... you can ignore them... you can't get your dogs taken away just from being accused.. there has to be proof that your dogs are out running around... or you can move and get away from your neighbors... but since they are not harming you in anyway.. not much you can really do except take it or move or ignore them
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2008, 01:06 PM

We can get our dogs taken away from being accused of what?

Oct 27, 2008, 01:08 PM

I'm sure your state has laws and regulations saying that your dog must be on a leash when not inside a fence, right? So they say your dog is running around down town... a police officer sees that it is indeed your dog... your probably going to get a slap on the wrist... if its not your dog... the police officer is going to go.. oh its not their dogs their neighbors are just upset about something. It'll blow over... end of story
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2008, 01:12 PM

Do I need to call the police then and tell them what's been happening? I'm really worried the neighbors might try something
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2008, 01:13 PM

I'm sorry, I just don't want anything to happen to our dogs. We love our dogs.

Oct 27, 2008, 01:16 PM

They can't do anything to your dogs... I mean if it really worries you that bad you can call make a complaint... but I mean that's just going to "agg" on your neighbors.. I would just leave it alone and ignore them
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2008, 01:23 PM

Well my whole concern is that I have a gut feeling that this neighbor let our dog out. (so yes, they could do something to our dogs). There is no other way we can imagine him getting out. And if something happens again, I want there to be some kind of record that I am concerned. It's gotten to the point where we don't let them out of our site for anything.

Oct 27, 2008, 01:28 PM

If them being let out is the concern... get a lock... if the lock magically gets cut by bolt cutters... Then you have a reason to be informing police.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search