Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melanie42276 Posts: 56, Reputation: 0

Oct 27, 2008, 12:32 PM
    Bipoler teachers
    My child's teacher is bipoler. I didn't think that you could be a teacher if your bipoler. I had my child moved out of her class because the teacher had no control of her class room but I didn't know at the time that she is bipoler. Should I report it to the school bord? Or is it allowed?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2008, 02:18 PM

What makes you think the teacher is bipolar? As long as a teacher is doing their job appropriately, being bipolar is not an issue as far as employment.
    If you have concerns about something you directly saw or heard that you feel was inappropriate, speak to the principal. They of course would not be at liberty to discuss with you whether the teacher has bipolar disorder.

Oct 27, 2008, 02:34 PM

She told me herself that she was bipolar.
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2008, 02:43 PM

Was it then just classroom management that was an issue? Or was there something actually inappropriate that occurred?

Classroom management, may or may not have anything to do with her being bipolar... it can be rough for many teachers, especially depending on some of the kids you happen to have in the class... (parents would be amazed at some of behaviors teachers have to sometimes deal with everyday). If it was something truly inappropriate, bring it up to the principal.

Oct 27, 2008, 04:47 PM

What if the principal pushes this under the rug?
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2008, 02:14 AM

I guess it depends on what the issue was. They may have already addressed the issue with the teacher and you just aren't aware of it. The teacher still teaching does not mean the principal didn't deal with it or isn't continuing to deal with it. Poor classroom management would not necessarily cost someone their job.
    mosag330 Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Oct 30, 2008, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by melanie42276 View Post
    I didnt think that you could be a teacher if your bipoler.
    Discriminating against mental disorder is unacceptable. If her disorder inhibited her ability to do her job, fair enough, but I don't see anything that proves that to be the case.

Are you seriously suggesting this woman does not deserve her job based on a mental condition? You've already moved your child out of her class-- and this decision was not related to the knowledge of her bipolarity you gained afterward. You no longer have to deal with this woman. Leave it alone.

I'm fairly certain that having this woman teaching your child is better than choosing home schooling as an alternative.
    homebirthmom Posts: 160, Reputation: 15

Oct 30, 2008, 11:56 AM

Bipolar disorder has many different degrees. And for most people, they are medicated, (personal experience). As long as the dosage and medications are working correctly, there is no reason at all that being bipolar would disable someone bad enough not to be able to do their job. If and when it does interfere with job performance, normally, the person will get their doctor to check their meds, or take a few personal days to cope through.
    As for classroom management, it takes one heck of a person to manage 20+ kids all the time to the point that every parent is happy. If one child is having an off day, that can have a domino effect in the classroom, causing more than just that child to act out.
    Keep in mind that the teacher might also have had an "off" day. Unless there was stuff happening that is damaging to the children, I'm sure the teacher, possibly with help, is doing her job just fine.
    You did what you felt appropriate by removing your child from her care, and hopefully, if you think about it enough, you will realize that this solution was the only thing that really could be done. (assuming there was no damaging acts happening).
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2008, 05:32 PM

If you feel that the principal of the school has pushed this "under the rug" as you say may I suggest that you make an appointment with the School Superindent instead and discuss this with him/her in person? It all depends on what the behavior of the teacher in the classroom was/is that is the determining factor in their case if the teacher needs to be retrained or placed elsewhere.

Don't be afraid of going to the top of the heap with your concerns because these are our children at risk here. I would happily park my behind at the Board of Education all the time and discuss my concerns with them such as no hot lunches (food stone cold), warm milk served at lunchtime. You know, stupid stuff like that. I paid good money for a hot lunch and cold mild for my son and he got neither. Going in person really makes them sit up and take notice versus call them on the phone and make a nuisance of yourself over the phone and talk with the wrong person or get a brush off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Former Teachers? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been teaching for nearly four years now, and I have got to say I really don't enjoy it. It's not the subject matter (Chemistry, Science and Math) that bothers me, or the students. I love interacting with them. I just don't enjoy the politics of teaching. I wonder if there are any former...

Bipoler meds [ 3 Answers ]

I have been bipoler for 8 years now. I have been on lots of meds but none of them seem to really work eather I'm sleeping a lot or I see no change at all. When I go to another DR. they want to know how the meds are working my answer is always no. How do I deal with it? I have been on a large list...

For current teachers! [ 6 Answers ]

Since I was a kid, I wanted to become a teacher and if there are some teachers on this forum, I would like to hear from you. :) Your general opinion/thoughts about your job as a teacher. Thank you!

Divorce, Abuse Bipoler [ 2 Answers ]

[ My name is Liz and I was wanting someone to tell me what to do about an abuseive lover that I'm getting ready to divorce. In 6 months I'll be getting my divorce and I'm not sure what to do I've only been married 6 months. Should I go back and try to work it all out, and try to understand why he...

View more questions Search