Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spyyder Posts: 35, Reputation: -2

Jun 7, 2006, 07:01 AM
    Property Tax Issue - I might have to move out!
    My grandmother died about a month ago. I am now to inherit her house (more like mansion) in Houston, Texas (I live in the UK, btw). I'm very grateful however there is a large issue with the property taxes on the house, its $30950/yr! (not a mistake, I still think that they are joking). Over here in England, property tax rates are pretty much nothing (although there are high income taxes unlike Texas, which has none). The property tax to be paid on my inherited house is quite close to the actual salary I can earn - so I literally can't pay it.

I love the house and I will definitely live in it till I die. Is there a way to dramatically depreciate the house value so that I can afford to pay the property taxes (and therefore live in it) - I know that it sounds ridiculous but since I plan to live the rest of my life in the house, I don't mind doing this.
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 7, 2006, 05:07 PM
    If you don't have the means to pay this every year (and expect it to rise, not fall) a short term solution would be a home equity loan but I would not advise that.
    Selling may be the only option.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 7, 2006, 06:24 PM
    Have you got any worthwhile cause you'd like to pursue?

The only means I can conjure up at this point is to start a tax exempt non-profit organization and donate the house to it. Then perhaps you could lease the house from it. Lots of paperwork and legal stuff and it better be a real honest do-gooder deal since the mishandling of funds and property by not so up-and-up charities is calling for tighter scrutiny in this country. And I certainly am not advocating you be one of those either. But it is a thought and could make several cool things happen, a new place to live and a new career, and some good from it too?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 9, 2006, 10:32 PM
    The advice offered seems solid. I can offer no practical solution to your problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What should be my next move? [ 14 Answers ]

What should be my next move? Hey all! This is my first post and I just want to say that this seems to be a great forum! :) Anyway here is my problem. This is going to be a looooong post so if you want a shorter version, please tell me. Even though I think its best if you know the...

I can't seem to move on. [ 20 Answers ]

This is my first time posting here so apologies if this is too long winded but I really need impartial advice over something that is ruining my life. Myboyfriend and I broke up over two years ago after dating for 7 years. We were friends for a long time before we started dating so I have spent...

Property taxes/lien on property [ 2 Answers ]

We have been taking care of the rental properties across the street from us for many years as the landlord lives in Arkansas. We have never been paid for these services. We repair and maintain these properties, and the last tenants we even collected the rent and deposited into the landlord’s...

To move or not to move - Tub Drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I am installing a 72" soaker tub into a properly roughed in basement bathroom. The soaker tub's drain is not in the traditional spot and is positioned in the middle of the length of the bath. I have a 2" snub up located about 24-30" from where my tub drain will sit. Do I have to cut up...

I need to move on... help [ 9 Answers ]

I have never posted anything on the website before, but for a while now I have been looking through the internet to see if anyone has shared a similar situation to myself. I found this website really helpful to read through other people problems and the sound advice that was given, I'm hoping there...

View more questions Search