Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clink Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2008, 06:47 AM
    Friends husband is abusive
    I've recently found out that one of my best friends husband has pushed her around in the past, this all came to head a few weekends ago when he was very absuse and the police caught him strangling her.

The police have put a restraining order on him, however she's such a good and sensible person and is thinking of possibly going back to him.

Their relationship has been a mess for at least 18 months and he has issues with drinking. Unfortunately their businesses depend on each other and I think this is the only reason keeping them together. They aren't to talk to each other until the court case etc but I just don't know what advice to give her. Any ideas? I really don't want her to get back together with him but it has to be her decision.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Oct 27, 2008, 07:23 AM

You're a good friend for wanting to help. The only way to truly help is to be there for her no matter what she chooses. Your correct in stating that it is her decision and she may decide that she isn't finished yet. The hardest part of the situation is knowing that she may be making a mistake and having to stand by her while she makes it. Be there for her and be a friend, listen, love and never judge. PRAY
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2008, 07:53 AM

If you really want to help your friend, get her out of this abusive situation before her husband goes to jail for murder. He has already proven capable of trying to kill her, what part of this do people not understand. GET OUT!! Get as far away from him as possible. Until he can learn to control his drinking and what ever else he is doing she is in mortal danger.
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2008, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    If you really want to help your friend, get her out of this abusive situation before her husband goes to jail for murder. He has already proven capable of trying to kill her, what part of this do people not understand. GET OUT!!! Get as far away from him as possible. Until he can learn to control his drinking and what ever else he is doing she is in mortal danger.

Yes. 15 more seconds of strangling could have ended in murder. A push can lead to someone's neck being broken. You never know how the situation will end. I see no problem with him getting help. He has to prove it and stay away from her in the process.
    lady_rose Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Oct 28, 2008, 03:04 PM

I have to agree, she doesn't need to go back to him. Take her to a Battered Woman's shelter, they have the means to help her understand that she doesn't need to go back to him...
    Absolute Posts: 50, Reputation: 5

Oct 28, 2008, 03:11 PM

Well, I think that this man sounds like he has major issues. He needs to go to counseling and maybe even a alcoholics anonymous. Make sure your friend gets him help. Give her numbers and ideas of how to help him and her have a better relationship. He needs anger management and they need to go to couples counseling too. This needs to be well thought out. On his side and her side.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 28, 2008, 05:56 PM

She needs to get out, but sadly most abused women go back again and again and again,
    Kati-Katt Posts: 77, Reputation: -2

Oct 28, 2008, 06:06 PM

If she is really determined to go back with him you can encourage her all you want but although it sounds stupid to let her but if she's sure that's what she wants just be happy for her and when it does happen get her out of there as fast as you can and be there to catch her when she falls.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 28, 2008, 09:13 PM

You can only tell her to get rid of this abuse by leaving, and support her after that. Her choice to make unfortunately.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2008, 09:28 PM

Give her information about abusive partners so that she understands he's likely to become more abusive, that she is in danger, that even if he stops being violent, he will be emotionally abusive (e.g. humiliating her and tearing her down, isolating her) and economically abusive. She needs to separate her business from him. She should have a good lawyer.

There is so much help these days--battered women's shelters, websites with information about the cycle of abuse, books such as those by Patricia Evans and Lundy Bancroft; groups that meet and talk about abuse.

Persuade her to stay away from him. Of course, you can't physically restrain her from going back to him (at least not legally), but don't say nothing. If she was stepping in front of a train in her sleep, would you do nothing? Of course not! She is under his influence and it's legitimate to try to persuade her to stay away from her. I feel we all have an obligation to urge our friends to stay away from such people.
    Clink Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2008, 01:20 AM

Thank you all so much for this advice, let's hope it works!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my husband abusive? [ 13 Answers ]

My husband constantly puts me down. Not just name calling (example: hoe, *****) but also personal insults like stupid, lazy, fat, and makes me feel bad for not working. I only have a high school diploma and can't afford child-care. We have three kids, and I am pregnant again. I got pregnant on the...

Is my husband abusive? [ 23 Answers ]

My husband and I recently got back together after a 6 month separation. He begged me to come back and so I did. I've loved him most of my life. We have been together for 9years and we have 3 small children together ages 1-8. I love him dearly but here lately it seems like we are getting back to...

Abusive husband asking for custody [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Georgia and I have filed for a divorce from my verbally and abusive husband. He has countered by asking for custody of our 8 yr old daughter which he cursed out on a daily basis until I got a restraining order and had him removed from the house. He is also asking for the house which is...

Verbally abusive husband [ 4 Answers ]

Hi this is a first time for me . I need some help I have been married for 13 years to a man who loves his children and wife. But is so verbal abusive that my son is now verbal to me like my husband treats me. He can be the most loving husband and dad that you could ever ask for and the next...

Girlfriend and her abusive husband [ 11 Answers ]

Hello... I am not sure what to do here but was hoping I could get some sort of advise, guidance, or help for my girlfriend and myself. My girlfriend is once again staying with me after leaving her abusive husband for the 4th time now.. she had lived with me before but after talking with her husband...

View more questions Search