Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clink Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2008, 03:45 AM
    My staff member is an alcoholic.
    I am really unsure of what to do. One of my staff members is an alcoholic and I want to help them however I am unsure from a professional stance how to do this.

I have spoken to them directly before and threatened to send them home if they come to work drunk / hungover or smelling of booze. However, they have recently lost a parent and I've noticed the drinking starting again.

What is the best way to approach this? He is a lovely guy but needs help.
    Synntiera00 Posts: 19, Reputation: 4

Oct 27, 2008, 05:12 AM

Is there a company therapist he can speak to or hotline to call? I found that threatening employees may be a rather harsh thing to do in some certain situations, rather try to be sympathetic towards him and explain your concerns to him, but at the same time try to fit in there that it's unacceptable and unprofessional to show up at work like that. Since he has recently lost a parent, you don't want to be too harsh, as that has a slight chance of increasing the alcoholism. Good luck to you, and hopefully this good man can get through this!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 27, 2008, 05:17 AM

A drunk will always have an excuse, this is one to be upset but not to be unprofessional at work. If they are in a public area, this would not be acceptable at all. Larger companies would have or require the person to do counseling or attend AA meetings with proof of this provided,

And after they start, would still send them home if they came in like that.

In business while you do care about the person, you also have to care about the business.

For example if you have bosses over you, they would not think twice at firing you for allowing this, esp if something was done wrong by this person
    Clink Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2008, 05:19 AM
    Thanks Synntiera00. I have just spoken to them and suggested a visit to the GP for advice and help and said I'd be there to help with either meetings / tablets or whatever they need.

Unfortunately there is no access to counselors etc as we are a small company. I hear what you are saying with threatening etc but this had such a positive impact for 9 weeks.

I just don't know the next step from talking...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2008, 05:25 AM
    Hello Clink:

As cold as it might sound, you have to decide whether you're running a business or a social organization.

Lovely or not, if he shows up drunk or stinkin, out the door he goes.

excon
    Synntiera00 Posts: 19, Reputation: 4

Oct 27, 2008, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clink View Post
    Thanks Synntiera00. I have just spoken to them and suggested a visit to the GP for advice and help and said I'd be there to help with either meetings / tablets or whatever they need.

Unfortunately there is no access to councellors etc as we are a small company. I hear what you are saying with threatening etc but this had such a positive impact for 9 weeks.

I just don't know the next step from talking...
    The next step depends on how everything goes from now on. If he starts to improve, keep an eye on him see how it goes. But unfortunately if it keeps up you do have to look out for yourself and the business as well and that sort of behavior is not going to take you or the company very far. Three strike rule... that's how it is in my world of business... let's just hope it doesn't come to that!
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2008, 10:51 AM

Being overly solicitous is the worst thing you can do to an alcoholic.

Whenever he comes in smelling of booze, obviously intoxicated, inappropriate, just write him up for being drunk, have him sign the reprimand, and send him home.

Support your business and treat employees like adults. Leave social work to social workers.

Bet wishes, :)
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Nov 5, 2008, 10:36 PM

The previous advice is bang on. I understand your good intentions, and he's probably a great guy (most alcoholics are very smart and charming) and you don't want him to lose his job.

The problem is, that most alcoholics will not seek help until they have hit bottom. Now that bottom differs from drinker to drinker. For the blessed, it's something minor. For most, they have to lose their job, or their family (divorce, etc.), or their health before they will consider help. Even then, some will never seek help.

The bang on advice you've previously received has to do with NOT enabling his behavior. As long as there are no consequences, a drinker will continue to drink. He has to fear losing his job, which if he does he will fear losing his home, then his family. If he's one of the lucky ones, he will get help as soon as he knows his job is on the line. If not, you have to do what is right for your organization and in turn, it is what is right for him in the long run.

The first step of Aloholics Anonymous is -

"We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable."

Until that unmanageability becomes a reality in his life (fear of losing his job, or actually losing it) why would he change; he can have his job and drink to.

----------------------

Now the above advice is the "don't enable" part it, and it's the most important. However, most of us are compassionate people and want to help in some way.

If you want help in a hands off way, get some AA literature and simply leave it on his desk.

Here is the "Is AA for you?" Pamphlet. It has 12 questions that help you determine whether you are an alcoholic or not. Most drinkers will answer yes to more than one, and all it takes is one for you to examine whether you have a problem with alcohol. The problem is that most drinkers are in denial, and will not see the truth even with the facts in front of them. All you can do is plant the seed. He may never come to you for help, or he may call AA right away, or years from now; at this point you put in God's hands.

Here is the link for the pamphlet:

http://www.aa.org/pdf/products/p-3_isaaforyou.pdf

Alcoholics Anonymous's link is:

Alcoholics Anonymous :

I found this on another thread and it's worth repeating:

Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie View Post

Alcoholics are very smart, many are gifted. Their bodies handle booze in a totally different way than the average person. Not only can they handle large amounts, they are smart enough to lead a functional life in spite of high intake. But alcohol is a liar, who wants you dead, make no mistake about it.

It's a start, hopefully for him it is his start on a journey of recovery.

Good luck and God Bless to both of you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Work permit for a non-EU member in Spain while my spouse(EU member) will stay in UK [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I live in the UK with my wife. She is an EU member and I am non-EU member. I am moving first to Spain for work reasons there but my wife will stay in UK for at least 4 months then she will join me. The Spanish company does not sponsor me to get a work permit so I need to apply for...

Out-of-state office space used by local staff, with a sleeping room 4 staff travelers [ 1 Answers ]

Can I rent an out-of-state office space used by local staff, with a sleeping room for other staff travelers? I run a tutoring program out of state, that requires me and the other officers of the company to visit for training and managing. Instead of paying exorbitant hotel fees, if our company...

Anyone know what my staff is crossed with [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 16 week old staff and don't know what she is crossed with. People keep saying a boxer and others say a pitt. Please help.

Staff infection [ 2 Answers ]

Is it 100% guarantee that you can get a staff infection after you had a contact?

Snappy staff! [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2 yr old staffordshire bull terrier, I got her as a rescue 3 months ago. The previous owner couldn't home her but had bred her excessively. I also have a male labrador and 5 children. Up until now the staffy has been fine but last night when my son was petting the labrador she went and...

View more questions Search