Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kabloom123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 07:47 PM
    Upstairs sink won't drain despite snacking and clean trap
    My upstairs bathroom vanity sink is giving me problems. When it wouldn't drain, I took apart the trap (PVC accordion on sink end), cleaned it and the sink drain, and snaked in as far (not real far) as I could go into the drainpipe. After I reassembled everything, the sink was worse then before, with water backing up the trap and leaking out through the slip nut on the sink tail piece end. The local hardware store suggested I may have an air vent problem or a clog further down the drainpipe. I'm trying an enzyme based clog remover but still not remedied. Any suggestions?
    Synntiera00 Posts: 19, Reputation: 4

Oct 26, 2008, 07:50 PM

I always found the simplest things worked the best... Draino!! :)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 27, 2008, 04:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synntiera00 View Post
    I always found the simplest things worked the best... Draino!! :)
    I bet you've never had to get ina a cabinet and remove a trap that's full of caustic lye. A little cut on your hands or a drop in your eye would make a believer out of you. I don't ever recommend putting harsh chemicals in your drainage system. Besides, they only seem to work in TV commercials. In my opinion snaking a line's the best way there is to clear a blockage. Regards, Tom

Kabloom,
    I snaked in as far (not real far) as I could go into the drainpipe.
    But evidently not far enough.(see image) After you hit a elbo about 8 inches in you will have to put out 6 more feet to hit the stack vent. If snaking the horizontal drain didn't get it then the clog's in the stack vent. Snake from the lavatory roof vent, Put out enough snake to reach the base and 15 feet more, Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wall Drain and sink trap [ 8 Answers ]

I replace my original sink with a new sink that is much deeper. The problem that I have is that the wall drain is now higher than the sink trap approximately 2.5". Is there a trick of the trade to fix this or do I need to lower the wall drain completely that is in the wall? I hope not as this will...

Second p trap for bathroon sink drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have a sink that when the water is first turned on you get a sewer gas smell that comes from the overflow hole in the sink. You can also feel air along with the smell coming out of the overflow. I have checked the vent pipe going to the roof and it is clear. I replaced and lowered the existing p...

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

Bathroom sink drain trap [ 1 Answers ]

I've installed a new bathroom vanity. The drain line, which comes through the floor, not the wall, is in the exact center of the vanity; the drain from the sink is likewise centered. How do I install a trap given the two pipe are centered exactly above one another and are not offset? Do I even...

Upstairs bathroom sink slow drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, again I am at my end with this sink... but still can't afford a plumber! It is the only drain in the house that has this problem. I just tried using my hose and a small nozzel to put high pressure water through the drain in an attempt to unclog it... well here is the funny thing......

View more questions Search