Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    west72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 07:35 PM
    Breaking a lease in Iowa
    Simply put, I got a job promotion the requires me to move to another city. I have spoken to my landlords about this subject and they tell me that there is a breaklease fee equal to 3 months rent and that it was located in my lease along with the other ways to break a lease... sublet. When I looked at my lease there was nothing in there about breaking a lease or any fees regarding this matter. Closest thing in there was at the completion of my lease if there is no written intent to vacate the lease will automatically renew for a 2 month period and a rate equal to each months rent plus $100 dollars for each of those two months. Am I entitled to pay the "break lease fee" if it is not mentioned anywhere but word of mouth?
    Synntiera00 Posts: 19, Reputation: 4

Oct 26, 2008, 08:33 PM

If it's not in your lease then legally you're not required to pay all that, you didn't sign to agree. Although I would read everything very carefully before any actions are made, small print and all making sure you understand exactly everything that lease says. Congratulations on your promotion, and the best of luck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 27, 2008, 06:01 AM

If there is no clause, then you just can't break the lease, and they can hold you liable for the full amount of the lease.

This is normal, Actually them allowing you out with only paying 3 months is fairly nice.

In Fl for example they don't even have to try and rent your place, they can leave it empty and charge you rent to the end of the lease, in many places they are required to try and rent your place, and you will owe only to the point that they rent it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 27, 2008, 06:11 AM

Go back to the landlords and ask them to point out where in your lease you can find this clause. If you can't find it, then you are in a worse position, not a better one.

If there is no early termination clause then you are required to fulfill the terms of your lease. So, if they offer you a 3 month early termination charge, then you may be getting a bargain. However, if there is no clause in the lease you might try negotiating a better deal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collectible Pepsi Bottle for 1977 University of Iowa vs Iowa State Football [ 1 Answers ]

I need to try and find the value for a Still Sealed Commemorative 1977 University of Iowa vs Iowa State Football Pepsi Bottle. I need this for insurance issues. It seems the Post Office can't tell what F-R-A-G-I-L-E means. They managed to break one of the set even though they were wrapped in bubble...

Lease laws in Iowa [ 4 Answers ]

I've heard that lease laws in Iowa favor the renter, but the information I've found so far has NOT indicated this is true. My landlord no longer allows me to take my kids out to play in the yard in front of our building, he has harassed my friends (making inappropriate comments about one's...

Breaking a lease prior to occupancy.lease already signed [ 13 Answers ]

Help. My question is this... i signed a lease to rent a single family home... i gave a 200.00 deposit to hold it/toward security. I am unable to move into the home because i have to go out of state for a very ill family member (mother). ive tried to contact "LANDLORD" several times when i heard of...

Early lease termination for layoff IOWA [ 2 Answers ]

I hear a tenant can get out of a lease early if he or she gets laid off from their job. Again, the lease is in Iowa and I am a union boilermaker that works in many states throughout the country. Any insight would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks Doug

Lease Termination in Iowa [ 4 Answers ]

I am currently renting an apartment. There are 11 months left on the lease. I was recently approved for my first mortgage and have a lot hold on a townhome in a new development (yet to be built). If I decide to purchase I have to commit by signing a purchase agreement in October. Still have the...

View more questions Search