Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CrissyDi Posts: 250, Reputation: 5

Oct 26, 2008, 07:28 PM
    Period, but still pregnant?
    Has anyone had their period, but was still pregnant? What happened? When did you test? Is it even possible to have your period, but still be pregnant?
    Synntiera00 Posts: 19, Reputation: 4

Oct 26, 2008, 07:45 PM

My first pregnancy I didn't find out I was pregnant until I was 4 months along because I still had my period. It's called intermittent bleeding. It's completely normal for some people, and remember, every pregnancy is different. Good luck!

Oct 26, 2008, 08:00 PM

I found the following information via an internet search, but I am wondering if anyone has experienced this personally and what it was like and what was the outcome.

Another common cause of bleeding/spotting during the first trimester is something called decidual bleeding. Decidual bleeding occurs in early pregnancy, before the lining of the uterus has completely attached to the placenta. During this time, a part of the lining of the uterus can be shed, causing decidual bleeding. This sort of bleeding/spotting during the first trimester is thought to be caused by an imbalance of hormones. Decidual bleeding is not thought to be in any way dangerous or harmful to you or to your growing baby. Still, because you cannot be certain on your own that your bleeding or spotting during the first trimester is decidual bleeding, you should always contact your health care provider if you have any severe bleeding during the first trimester, or really at any time during pregnancy.

Oct 26, 2008, 08:21 PM

The flow was anywhere from light to heavy, varied from the beginning of the period to the end. It usually started light, became heavy and by the end of the week was light again. I had the normal cramping, not really any symptoms... unless you consider night sickness instead of morning! :/

Oct 26, 2008, 08:51 PM

Synntiera tell me what you think of this...

My last period was on September 26th and it was heavy for 3 days with serious cramping all days and then it suddenly stopped. (Normally it's 4-5 days, heavy on first day and no cramping.) Then about 5-7 days later I started having sharp and painful feelings in my breast and even some occasional blurred vision. About a week and a half later, I got scared and worried about my breast, so I did some research online to find that it's a pregnancy symptom. (The blurred vision too!) A few days later, the blurred vision stopped. (I just had an eye exam and everything was fine. I had in a pair of brand new contacts.) Today is October 21 and ever since the stopping of the blurred vision, I have experienced the following: swollen, enlarged breast, sore breasts, nausea, extreme fatigue by mid day, sever hunger pains every few hours, extreme thirst (I just can't get enough water!), I can smell a dog miles away, strong smelling urine, I hate the foods I loved and I crave the foods I didn't care for, I cry over everything, and I keep feeling tugging and heaviness in the bottom of my tummy, especially at night.

So, with all od this, I took a pregnancy test at a woman's center on October 20 and it was negative. I've been felling like my period is going to start any minute over the last 2 weeks, but it hasn't come yet. I'm due to start on October 27 (I'm on a 31 day cycle and it's soooooooo regular. I can give you the exact dates of my last 5 periods.) I normally don't have any period symptoms, just a little aggervation in my tummy right before it comes. I eat healthy and haven't had cramps or sore breasts in years unless I ate pork or beef right before my cycle. But that's my only symptoms.

Soo... that is what's been going on with me, then on Friday I started spotting for a few hours before I began a full flow and have been flowing all weekend. Tonight it seems to be drying up. I haven't been nausteous and my supper sore and swollen boobs went down some. Now, this evening, starting to have nausteous feelings and sharp pains in breast again. Confussing! What do you think?
    aaj2008 Posts: 139, Reputation: 7

Oct 26, 2008, 08:57 PM

It is possibly to have periods while pregnant... one of my girlfriends cousins actually had periods all the way through pregnancy.. one of my mothers friends in high school had her period and never showed signs of being pregnant (she didn't get bigger, have back pains, etc) and one day she complained about severe cramps and went to the hospital.. she had a baby within an hour of being there... crazy I know.. so basically yes it is possibly to have regular periods while pregnant and is actually very common among women

Oct 26, 2008, 09:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aaj2008 View Post
    It is possibly to have periods while pregnant...one of my girlfriends cousins actually had periods all the way through pregnancy..one of my mothers friends in high school had her period and never showed signs of being pregnant (she didnt get bigger, have back pains, etc) and one day she complained about severe cramps and went to the hospital..she had a baby within an hour of being there...crazy i know..so basically yes it is possibly to have regular periods while pregnant and is actually very common among women
    AAJ thanks for the reply. Didn't know it was so common. My mom thinks I'm crazy and has never heard of having bleeding while pregnant... so pretty much I'm on my own cause I can't tell many of my friends or I'll spark a flame and the whole city of Jacksonville will think I'm pregnant. So I don't have many people I can talk to about everything I'm experiencing in my body. My husband just thinks it's wishful thinking. (I believe he's afraid to get excited because he doesn't want to be disappointed.)

Oct 26, 2008, 09:17 PM

Well if you want to know if you are pregnant I would suggest a pregnancy test... go out of town and get one from another store if you are shy about it. Or try a local health department. Where I am from we have a local place that distributes free condoms and birth control to people who cannot afford it for free. They also do exams, pregnancy tests and things too.. might want to see if something like that is available.

Oct 26, 2008, 09:26 PM
    Well if you want to know if you are pregnant I would suggest a pregnancy test...go out of town and get one from another store if you are shy about it. Or try a local health department. Where I am from we have a local place that distributes free condoms and birth control to people who cannot afford it for free. They also do exams, pregnancy tests and things too..might want to see if something like that is available.
    This city is big enough to stay in town to test. I did so last week and it was negative. I'm going to try again once I stop bleeding. Based on my research, if I am having decidual bleeding, I may also not be able to test positive with a hpt or a blood test. Argh! I'm just going to continue to proceed with caution and buy the dollar store tests until some more definites come about... such as a growing belly or a positive hpt.

I've been searching blogs and I've discovered that many women are experiencing the same thing. It is only through this vehicle that I am able to find those out there who HAVE experienced it in the past and can tell me what the outcome was.

Thanks again for the replies!

Oct 26, 2008, 09:30 PM

Yeah if you are bleeding you will get false readings. Also what might help is it is suggested that you do a pee test first thing in the morning after you get up... ya know the morning "i gotta go" for best results :) best of luck too you

Oct 27, 2008, 10:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CrissyDi View Post
    Synntiera tell me what you think of this...

My last period was on September 26th and it was heavy for 3 days with serious cramping all days and then it suddenly stopped. (Normally it's 4-5 days, heavy on first day and no cramping.) Then about 5-7 days later I started having sharp and painful feelings in my breast and even some occasional blurred vision. About a week and a half later, I got scared and worried about my breast, so I did some research online to find that it's a pregnancy symptom. (The blurred vision too!) A few days later, the blurred vision stopped. (I just had an eye exam and everything was fine. I had in a pair of brand new contacts.) Today is October 21 and ever since the stopping of the blurred vision, I have experienced the following: swollen, enlarged breast, sore breasts, nausea, extreme fatigue by mid day, sever hunger pains every few hours, extreme thirst (I just can't get enough water!), I can smell a dog miles away, strong smelling urine, I hate the foods I loved and I crave the foods I didn't care for, I cry over everything, and I keep feeling tugging and heaviness in the bottom of my tummy, especially at night.

So, with all od this, I took a prego test at a woman's center on October 20 and it was negative. I've been felling like my period is going to start any minute over the last 2 weeks, but it hasn't come yet. I'm due to start on October 27 (I'm on a 31 day cycle and it's soooooooo regular. I can give you the exact dates of my last 5 periods.) I normally don't have any period symptoms, just a little aggervation in my tummy right before it comes. I eat healthy and haven't had cramps or sore breasts in years unless I ate pork or beef right before my cycle. But that's my only symptoms.

Soo... that is what's been going on with me, then on Friday I started spotting for a few hours before I began a full flow and have been flowing all weekend. Tonight it seems to be drying up. I haven't been nausteous and my supper sore and swollen boobs went down some. Now, this evening, starting to have nausteous feelings and sharp pains in breast again. Confussing! What do you think?

Well everything you have listed here from the tummy aches to the wonderful sense of smell you have seemed to acquired are all different signs of pregnancy, especially enlargement and sensitivity in the breast areas... some women even have extremely weird dreams during pregnancy even if they are the kind of person that NEVER remembers a dream. If you have taken a test and it came out negative yet you continue to have major cramping and pain in the abdominal region you should get to your gyno asap. Not trying to scare you or anything, but there is that small possibility of an ectopic pregnancy which is a danger to you as well as the baby if any, or it could just be that you are still too early in pregnancy and not producing enough hormones for a home test to pick up. Another thing is if you have gained a few pounds in a short amount of time this can mess up your hormones and your body may need some time to adjust. With all the possibilities we're looking at here the only choice that seems to be best for you is to get to your gynecologist or even just a regular doc. And have them take a look at you. One more thing is when you have a chance, lay down and press on your lower abdomin next to your hips, if it's painful when you press down it may be an infection in the pancreas that can make you sick and nauseous... so please get to the doctor!

Oct 28, 2008, 06:21 AM
    Syntierra, I pressed on my lower belly and there's no pain... it's just fuller and harder than ususal. Also, I am still bleeding so I cannot test at this time. Once I stop bleeding then I can see if I am still experiencing the symptoms apart from the bleeding which very well could be my period.

At this time, my husband is changing jobs, so I don't currently have insurance which is why I haven't gone to the doctor yet. That should be changing soon, so I'm just playing the waiting game. That's why sites like this are so helpful to me. Yet I've also seen on these sites, that those visiting the doctors have no more answers than I do. In fact, some doctors will not see pregnant women until they are 8 weeks along. And women who are having decedual bleeding are not testing postitive even with the doctor's test and therefore are waiting it out, just like me.
    missteetee Posts: 60, Reputation: 2

Oct 28, 2008, 10:28 PM

Yes, this is possible! This has happened to me and I didn't find out that I was pregnant until I was like 2 months. I did stop having periods the next month but my doc said it was just implantaion bleeding. I had a really heavy flow and it sure felt like a period because I had aches and pains and bloating.

Oct 29, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by missteetee View Post
    Yes, this is possible! This has happened to me and i didnt find out that i was pregnant until i was like 2 months. I did stop having periods the next month but my doc said it was just implantaion bleeding. I had a really heavy flow and it sure felt like a period because i had aches and pains and bloating.
    Missteetee- Thanks for your reply! This whole situation is sooooo crazy! So I guess I'm not crazy for thinking that I could still be pregnant. What happened with your symptoms during and after you stopped bleeding? So, far, my breast aren't sore anymore, but the occasional weird sensations are returning. I stopped bleeding yesterday after 5 days! (Longer than my usual period.) Yesterday, the 5th day, was only some brownish fluid. (Hope it's not TMI) I just wanted to see if it was the same for you. Also, my nausteousness returned yesterday. I'm not sure if I will get the other pregnancy symptoms back or not that I had before I began the bleeding. Would you mind giving a few more details about your experience? Like when did you take a test, what kind of test, etc.

Here are the symptoms I am having: Nausteousness, food aversions, hightened sense of smell, fatigue (argh!), weird sensations in my breasts, slight headaches, bloating (my usually flat stomach has now popped out and is harder than when I normally get period bloating.)

Before the bleeding I had: all of the above, swollen and sore breasts, a few bumps popped up around my nipples, cramps and tugging in my stomach, and some weird activity going on in my ovaries.

Let me know what you think about these symptoms, like whether you had them or not. It seems weird for me to have had all of this before implantation even occurred. I do have a sensitive body and I'm pretty well aware of when my egg drops on a monthly basis, etc. What do you think?

Thanks for everything!:D

Oct 30, 2008, 06:48 AM
    Yeah if you are bleeding you will get false readings. Also what might help is it is suggested that you do a pee test first thing in the morning after you get up...ya know the morning "i gotta go" for best results :) best of luck too you
    I stopped bleeding the day before yesterday, so I took a test this morning and it was negative. But so far, I've still been experiencing pregnancy symtpoms. I sure hope I'm not one of those people who will not test positive on a home test because of the decedual bleeding. This is crazy! I'm going to see if the symtpoms still persist over the next week and if they do, I'll test again and if they stop, then I'll know I just had a wacky hormonal month and a wacky period. Argh!:mad: Lord, please help me... I need clarity.
    kpangor Posts: 357, Reputation: 2

Oct 31, 2008, 01:58 AM

Hey crisstyd, I think am kind of in yr shoes.. I was supposed to have my period on the 25 which did not come and days before my period is supposed to come I was having all type of pregnancy symptoms from my temperature rising at night to headackes to constipation ,my breasts were sore with no spotting at all[which never happened to me in history].. and then all of the sudden on oct 25 in the ev ening I was spottin it was light pink after I pee and I wiped.. and then I had sex with my husband in the early hours on oct 26 trust me the sex was raw[loooooooooool like all the position] anyway.. when I went to the bathroom I started leaking and then it stopped.I took a good shower still no bleeding I went to sleep when I woke I was soaked in blood[like dark red blood]with no pain at all believe me when I say it I did not feel any kind of pain to say it was my period... so it was heavy for like 2 days I say and started to get light and lighter[not like greenish when yr period is about to finish] lasted I'll say 5 days it stopped yesterday[oct30]now am feeling very very hungry with this tugging feeling in my stomach,crasy dreams nausea,cant sleep at night,my breasts are fuller all of the sudden and I feel like there is something in my lower belly looooooooool and no I did not take a test yet.. which I don't know why but I will on Monday[nov3]and keep you update.. damn itd like I wrote a book looooooooooool sorry.. by the way I still want to know what kind of bleeding was tha?? never happened before
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2008, 05:07 AM

Periods can be off for a number of reasons and often times for no apparent reason. It is not unusual to have one be different from your norm... maybe more bleeding or less, more cramping or none at all, a bit shorter or longer than the norm, etc..

You could still be pregnant with some spotting or bleeding, although it technically isn't a period, it will sometimes be very similar in many respects.

If you are pregnant, the hcg will be in your urine regardless of whether you are bleeding, it sometimes does not get picked up as soon for some women as for others however. Some women won't get a positive result from a urine test for several weeks, others will get a positive a few days before their period is even due.

Since you are having bleeding that could still be a period, even if it is a bit different from your norm, you'll have to wait and see what happens next month... and/or keep taking a test every now and then. You could always go to your doctor and ask about having a blood test done. A quantitative test will give you an actual level of the hcg hormone, while a qualitative test will just tell you positive or negative.

Keep in mind, it is very easy to feel symptoms when you are hoping to be pregnant and many will be similar to those many women feel around the time of their periods... this can include breast tenderness, nausea, more trips to the bathroom, backache, being tired, etc. so it can be very confusing and frustrating sometimes when you don't feel you have a definitive answer and are still left wondering and hopeful.

While you wait to know for sure, it would be a good idea to treat yourself as if you were pregnant... eat well, get your rest, take your prenatal vitamin with folic acid, change some lifestyle habits that you know would be wise for a healthy pregnancy and baby, etc..

Good luck ladies... if it hasn't happened already, hope it isn't too much longer for you!
    kpangor Posts: 357, Reputation: 2

Oct 31, 2008, 05:14 AM

Thanks doulalc... guest what? I've been having nausea all night long I didn't even sleep yet... I smelled the grass from out of of my window I almost threw up am drinking som tea now.. but I'll will definitely take the test on Monday oct[3]I haven't take a test yet for some strange reason [i guess caus I was bleeding]

Oct 31, 2008, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kpangor View Post
    hey crisstyd, i think am kind of in yr shoes..i was supposed to have my period on the 25 which did not come and days before my period is supposed to come i was having all type of pregnancy symptoms from my temperature rising at night to headackes to constipation ,my breasts were sore with no spotting at all[which never happened to me in history]..and then all of the sudden on oct 25 in the ev ening i was spottin it was light pink after i pee and i wiped..and then i had sex with my husband in the early hours on oct 26 trust me the sex was raw[loooooooooool like all the position] anyways..when i went to the bathroom i started leaking and then it stopped.i took a good shower still no bleeding i went to sleep when i woke i was soaked in blood[like dark red blood]with no pain at all beleive me when i say it i did not feel any kind of pain to say it was my period ...so it was heavy for like 2 days i say and started to get light and lighter[not like greenish when yr period is about to finish] lasted i'll say 5 days it stopped yesterday[oct30]now am feeling very very hungry with this tugging feeling in my stomach,crasy dreams nausea,cant sleep at night,my breasts are fuller all of the sudden and i feel like there is something in my lower belly looooooooool and no i did not take a test yet..which i dont know why but i will on monday[nov3]and keep ya update..damn itd like i wrote a book looooooooooool sorry..by the way i still wanna know what kind of bleeding was tha????????never happened b4

I can understand your cause for concern. I too am baffled at the changes in my body. As Doula said, the bleeding could be any number of things. It could be just an off period, it could be implantaion bleeding (although not usually heavy, some women have told me they thought it was a regular period, but Docs told them implantation), or it could be decedual bleeding. All of these things you can find via a Google search or by simply looking at this and my other pregnant question that I posted.

So far, I'm not sure what's going on with me, but since I'm further along in this process than you, I'll be sure to let you know the outcome. Although it is still likely that you could be pregnant and I'm not and vice versa. It is rather helpful and comforting to know that you're not alone in this drama. Argh! Hee Hee

As for the dreams, why have I been remembering my dreams lately and that only happens once in a pink moon. Don't know... maybe we are! I know I wasn't trying so there is surely no reason for me to be having emotionally projected, pregnancy symtpoms. And my husband seems to be driving me nuts lately! His chewing is louder and really annoying, I can smell anything within a 5 mile radius and I keep wanting to cry for no reason, but I don't even have the tears to do so... and this is days after the bleeding has stopped. My poor husband feels like I better be pregnant or he's going to body slam me cause I've really been on his case and he's such a sweet guy. (Trying not to hurt his feelings. Eeeeek!)

Oct 31, 2008, 08:03 AM
    :D
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    Periods can be off for a number of reasons and often times for no apparent reason. It is not unusual to have one be different from your norm....maybe more bleeding or less, more cramping or none at all, a bit shorter or longer than the norm, etc..

You could still be pregnant with some spotting or bleeding, although it technically isn't a period, it will sometimes be very similar in many respects.

If you are pregnant, the hcg will be in your urine regardless of whether or not you are bleeding, it sometimes does not get picked up as soon for some women as for others however. Some women won't get a positive result from a urine test for several weeks, others will get a positive a few days before their period is even due.

Since you are having bleeding that could still be a period, even if it is a bit different from your norm, you'll have to wait and see what happens next month.....and/or keep taking a test every now and then. You could always go to your doctor and ask about having a blood test done. A quantitative test will give you an actual level of the hcg hormone, while a qualitative test will just tell you positive or negative.

Keep in mind, it is very easy to feel symptoms when you are hoping to be pregnant and many will be similar to those many women feel around the time of their periods...this can include breast tenderness, nausea, more trips to the bathroom, backache, being tired, etc., so it can be very confusing and frustrating sometimes when you don't feel you have a definitive answer and are still left wondering and hopeful.

While you wait to know for sure, it would be a good idea to treat yourself as if you were pregnant.....eat well, get your rest, take your prenatal vitamin with folic acid, change some lifestyle habits that you know would be wise for a healthy pregnancy and baby, etc..

Good luck ladies....if it hasn't happened already, hope it isn't too much longer for you!!
    Doula, you're always right on point. Thanks for doing what you do, you do it well. I hope you know how much people appreciate your time and words of wisdom. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I be Pregnant if I'm on my period? [ 2 Answers ]

I had sex on the 12th of July and the guy nutted in me twice that night and my period started that Thursday after it was normal for 2 days,but then it went to light to me not having it for a day and going to very light again. I've felt tired lately and hate the smell of food and don't hardly want...

Can I be pregnant if I got my period? [ 4 Answers ]

I got my period last month like I always do. But yesterday I noticed secretion on my breast and lately I've been very sentimental and in a bad mood I'm always hungry when I eat I get nauseated.. I also feel movements in my stomach I'm kind of scare should I go buy a pregnancy test? My boyfriend...

Can I be pregnant the second day of my period? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone. OK I am 21 years old and am engaged to be married in August. I already have an 81/2 month old with my fiancé and want to have one more kid as soon as possible, but only AFTER I get married in 3 months. On the second day of my period my fiancé and I had intercourse and he finished...

Odd period.maybe pregnant? [ 20 Answers ]

I recently posted about doing a HPT and getting a confusing result ( a negative line with half a positive line) but then I got my period right after I posted that. My periods are usually VERY painful and pretty heavy and last about 7 days. This time I got very mild cramps and it wasn't very...

Can I be pregnant and still have a period? [ 4 Answers ]

I have had two miscarriages in a row at 6 weeks each about 6 months ago and my Hubby and I have been trying ever since. I have symptoms of pregnancy such as morning sickness and breast tenderness but yesterday I got my period and it is about the normal bleeding that I get every month. I am not...

View more questions Search