Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    azg5009 Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Oct 26, 2008, 06:30 PM
    Bringing a Maltese on a plane cross country
    I live in Los Angeles and am going home to the east coast for the holidays and am bringing my 5 year old 9lb Maltese back for the first time with me.

I believe that he will be able to go on the flight with me and be under the seat. I still need to call airlines to figure out how much the price will be, does anyone know? I heard it would be around $150.

I am just wondering if anyone has done this before and has any advice. One main questions I have is if I should take a non-stop flight? Also if anyone has given their dog type of sleeping thing to keep them calm and relaxed for the flight.

Thanks!!
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Oct 27, 2008, 03:46 AM

Actually, yes I have taken one of my dogs w/ me on a few trips. Now, as far as the price... that one varies depending on where you live and where you're going, (and airline, etc... ), however I can say that the noises and so forth make my dog a little high strung on planes, whereas she's otherwise very calm and easy going.

I speak to my vet when about to leave town and she give my dog a little something to make her sleepy and calm. I don't remember what it's called, sorry for that. It does make her feel very relaxed... and glazed over, but not too much, lol. My dog doesn't sleep but she does chill out.

Make sure you do not give her anything to drink a few hours before the flight. Try to keep her tummy empty. If you can give her a tiny little bite to eat a ton of hours earlier and a little lick of water then her tummy can keep settled and you won't have any accidents on board. Your vet would even recommend this.

It's so awesome to be able to travel w/ your pet. And even more amazing when the dog isn't in cargo... but under your seat. Ahhhhhh, the luxuries of having a tiny dog, huh? Xo
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2008, 04:37 PM

I think each of the airlines have different regulations, so be sure to speak with your travel agent about it beforehand.

I had to travel with my old cat internationally, and although he was too old to take any medications, he was okay with it. I sure was worried though!

Someone recently recommended a dog travel company to me, and I just dropped by their site. It looks pretty fantastic! You can even travel with larger dogs in the seat next to you. They say "dogs of all sizes." you can find the link here:

Dogtravel Company Home

Oct 27, 2008, 04:52 PM

THANKS SO MUCH! Yup I got the tiny dog for this very reason!

Do you know the price of those meds to make them sleepy?

Also do you know if you are allowed to take the dog out of the carrier bag after take off?
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2008, 05:04 PM

Just a note...

I have been reading more about the site I listed, and while it's great for owners of large dogs, it's really expensive... if you have the cash, well, that's another story. :)

I'm wondering what the size limitations are for in-cabin travel. If anyone knows, that would be great...

Oct 27, 2008, 05:05 PM

I think it is 10lbs? HA I wish I had the cash!
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Oct 29, 2008, 03:45 AM

In Canada, so I can't speak for the U.S. but the dog has to to have a crate that fits under the seat. If the dog can fit comfortably in his crate under the seat he can weigh anything... as long as he's not a squished GSD in a shoe box, it's all good.

As far as the price goes, well it's TWO pills (one for on the way THERE and one for one the flight BACK), that can't run a huge bill. It's just two...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to transport a dog cross-country [ 8 Answers ]

The thread about seatbelts inspired me to post this. I am actually contemplating this for a cross-country move that is coming up. The cats travel in cages (not that they like that, and I'm not sure that it actually does much good in the case of an accident) since it makes it much less likely that...

Tranquilizers for Bringing Small Dog on Plane [ 8 Answers ]

I will be traveling at the end of this week with my 3 yr old Pomapoo and would like some feedback regarding the use of tranquilizers. It is about an hour flight, and he will be flying in a soft carrier in the cabin with me, under the seat in front of me. He is an anxious little dog and is very...

Writing off a cross country move [ 3 Answers ]

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I couldn't seem to find a similar question. This year, my husband and I moved from Texas to Minnesota. The move cost us roughly $5000.00, and I have kept every receipt involved in the move (Uhaul, gas, lodgings, etc). In past cross-country...

Cross country move in a rental truck [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am moving from San Francisco, CA to Pittsburgh, PA (2700 miles) and based on where the house I am living in is located, my only option in moving is to rent a truck and tow my car behind it. I am renting a 16 foot truck and a car carrier (not tow dolly) for my Honda Accord and would like...

Cross Country Move [ 3 Answers ]

I will be renting a trailer to move across country. (San Fran to Atlanta) I will be using a Honda Civic Hatchback to tow the trailer, moving about a studio apartments worth of stuff. I will be taking the southern route so there will be less hills than the northern route. I've never done this...

View more questions Search