Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gina C Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jun 6, 2006, 06:16 PM
    Can I use this to take someone to small claims?
    I am going to make it short and sweet. We went to settlement on the our purchase of a home and, because I thought I knew the person we bought our home from I did not take a written agreement. BIG NO NO on my behalf realizing that now...

The agreement was for the seller to come back and repair the counter top that is cracked and, not affixed to the counter it is just sitting on the counter top. Because,I did the big bo boo of no written agreement. Will a message left on my ansering machine by him hold up in small claims as proof? The meassge left states. Hi, Gina I am just calling to see when I can come with my contractor to fix the counter top. Please help!!
    Thanks a lot... :rolleyes:

Gina
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 6, 2006, 07:56 PM
    Maybe, verbal agreements are often all small claims court has to go on.
    And often just the fact that they are sued makes them settle.

I would go for it, what do you have to loose except for the filing fee

I would try it even without the tape on just my word
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2006, 11:06 PM
    And once you trap him, bring out the tape!!

Someone did that on People's Court once
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2006, 07:38 AM
    Hello Gina:

I think you absolutely CAN use the evidence you have. And, I think you'll kick his butt.

excon
    SusanTis1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2013, 09:54 PM
    Yes as this shows his intent to repair the issue... Also I'm not sure what state you live in... but in most US states there is no such thing as a real contract which is NOT IN WRITING. Real estate contracts must be in writing to be enforceable and valid. So you might check but you may not even have a contract for the purchase of your home since it was done verbally.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 9, 2013, 03:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanTis1 View Post
    Yes as this shows his intent to repair the issue...Also I'm not sure what state you live in ...but in most US states there is no such thing as a real contract which is NOT IN WRITING. Real estate contracts must be in writing to be enforceable and valid. So you might check but you may not even have a contract for the purchase of your home since it was done verbally.
    The real estate sale contract closed. That's a done deal.

What you are talking about is a "statute of frauds". You are in correct, in many states there is a statue of frauds, but typically part performance of the contract would be an exception.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Small claims limit in Ohio [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the limit for small claims court is in Ohio. I saw on one website that it was $3,000.00 and a free legal advice person told me it was $5,000.00. Which figure is it?

SE Tax: Small Claims awards $5000 for abruptly Terminating [ 1 Answers ]

Hi The Small Claims Awarded $5000 for Terminating the Indep Contractor agreement without giving the 2 weeks notice. I was employed through another company and was paid through that company - however, I was asked to leave w/o the required 2 weeks notice. I aksed for the 2 weeks pay and...

Small claims lawsuit question? [ 0 Answers ]

I am in the process of filing a small claims lawsuit for $3000. I bought a $7000 car as a gift for an ex boyfriend. We broke up two months after the gift was given, and I feel I should be paid back either half the amount I spent or be given back the car. I have all the receipts showing I paid in...

View more questions Search