Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ronka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 02:08 PM
    Fiberglass Exterior Door
    Advice needed...

What kind of paint should I paint my door with? Is a water based paint.. okay to use?
    Where can I read step by step how to paint a fiberglass smooth exterior door?

Thank you
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 26, 2008, 04:45 PM

Cleaning and preping is almost more important than the top coat. Wipe the door with liquid sand paper or a towel with laquer thinner and then prime with Zinsser's Bullseye 1-2-3 After that two coats of a good name brand water based acrylic enamel should be what you need. A good china bristle brush or short nap roller but not foam. I add Floetrol to help the paint to flash which makes a very smooth finish. Floetrol® Latex Paint Additive

Sealer - Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Water-Base Sealer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painting Exterior Fiberglass Door [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I'm replacing a metal exterior door with a pre-primed fiberglass exterior door and I'm wondering what is the best painting method and the best paint to use. Also, if I paint with a brush, should the paint be thinned. Thanks. LocoE

Painting a fiberglass door [ 2 Answers ]

I've already added a touch of water to my latex paint in hopes of a smoother finish on my smooth, pre-primed, exterior fiberglass door. I've stripped the door and am starting over (long story), can I still add a bit of Flotrol I read about on this site to the same can of paint? And, what on...

32 exterior door [ 10 Answers ]

Hello All, I scored an awesome deal the other day. I bought an 32 in exterior door, got it home and realized it is a 6 1/2 jamb for a 2x6 opening. I have 2x4 framing. So I need to make this fit. Where can I get another 2 inches at ? Should I rip cut a couple of 2x4's and add to the...

Fiberglass vs. Wood Front Door [ 3 Answers ]

Any thoughts on replacing my front door with a Fiberglass Door vs a real wood door. The fiberglass door I'm looking at is http://www.masonite.com/PRODUCT_GUIDE/pdfs/BarSierraCraftsman.pdf . I would think for the long run the fiberglass door is the better value and more durable than wood. Anyone...

I painted a fiberglass door without primer [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a new 15 light exterior fiberglass door and painted it with latex paint. I did not know to sand it, prime it, or wash it. THe paint is not sticking to the plastic around the 15 light panes and even though I allowed 5 hours before closing the door it stuck to the weather stripping and...

View more questions Search