Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhadsen Posts: 36, Reputation: 7

Oct 26, 2008, 03:24 AM
    Five most important questions to be answered regarding Catholics and Protestants?
    What would you say are the four or five most important questions that must be asked when examining the claims of the Protestant and Catholic positions?

Here are what I believe some of them would be:

1) Was the office of an infallibe Pope with absolute authority spoken of by Christ or the apostles?

2) Was the Apocrypha considered scripture by Christ and the apostles?

3) Were the believers to accept anything that the leaders of the church taught, or were they to examine teachings in light of scripture?

4) What was the state of the church on the eve of the Reformation? Did it have Christ and his followers in mind, or was it a self serving, corrupt bureaucracy? Does having "competition" from the Protestant (and Orthodox) churches help keep the Catholic church on course, or are we worse off since the Reformation? (I do realize that the RC/O split isn't part of the reformation.)

What do you think the four or five most important questions are? I'm not going to debate any of the questions. I'm just trying to decide which books to include in my reading list for the next year or so.

Thanks!

Rob
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Oct 26, 2008, 04:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rhadsen View Post
    What would you say are the four or five most important questions that must be asked when examining the claims of the Protestant and Catholic positions?
    Dear Rob : why should there be anything to be asked or said ?
    In my views these differences are totally irrelevant. You believe what you prefer, and others believe what they prefer.
    If you are a Protestant than enjoy your Protestantism.
    And if you are a Catholic than enjoy your Catholicism.
    You are all Christian brothers and sisters - although with reading the posts by so many of you I doubt the validity of their Christianity...

;) :) :p :D :rolleyes: ;)

NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2008, 05:38 AM
    Is it a new trend, to crap on the catholics? Christians are so fragmented and divisive.
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Oct 26, 2008, 07:29 AM

It's not a new trend. In fact some nursery rhymes talk about killing catholics.

Goosey Goosey Gander, whither shall I wander?
    Upstairs and downstairs and in my Lady's chamber.
    There I met an old man who wouldn't say his prayers,
    So I took him by his left leg and threw him down the stairs.

In 16th century Europe. There was a reward for any Protestant that would kill a Catholic priest. Hence the nursery rhyme. The old man who wouldn't pray is a Catholic priest because he would only know his prayers in Latin and a common way of killing these men was to tie their legs together and throw them down the stair hence the last line.

So this is nothing new and in fact they have gotten significantly more civilised about it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 26, 2008, 11:25 AM

I see this thread as only another bashing thread, Closed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Frequently Asked Questions Answered by our Experts [ 12 Answers ]

Please see below for information, and answers to Frequently Asked Questions, from our Tools & Power Equipment Experts; ballengerb1 - Home Repair & Remodeling Expert KeepItSimpleStupid - Engineering & Electronics Expert MOWERMAN2468 - Lawn & Garden Expert Feel free to...

17 year old male, a lot of questions I need answered. [ 6 Answers ]

Wow, I've thought for a while how I would do this and I am really quite nervous discussing this openly for the first time... Well, first of all, penis size.. Im around 15cm erect, and from what I've heard this is quite small.. I think I've practically gone through puberty, I've had a very deep...

Had my first period and need some questions answered [ 16 Answers ]

Igot my first period today and had a lot of blood. I was really freaked out at first. I called my mom and she told me to use a pad. (She's at work). I am kind of worried though. There is A LOT of blood and it isn't really... coming out. It is just there. I am worried this could be bad. I have to...

Many Questions To Be Answered! [ 4 Answers ]

1. Is it okay to tell the next relationship about how the old relationship went and to tell them who dumped who. Will any of it make a difference? 2. Is it possible for a very beautiful woman to really have guy friends that are just guy friends? 3. What are a few things to never ever say to a...

View more questions Search