Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    j_keller Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2006, 10:48 AM
    Help! Sick puppy won't eat...
    We got a husky/lab pup on Friday afternoon from the local humane society. He had eating some on Friday, and very little on Saturday morning. Then we noticed he had worms after some diarreha. We gave him some worm med. And took him back to see the HS vet on Monday. They also gave us a antiboitic for Kennel cough.

Anyway, he has not eaten since Saturday morning, and that wasn't much. We got him to eat a bit of ham on Monday, but he didn't keep it down. Now he just turns his nose up any everything (tried beef/rice mix, and wet puppy food), and we are starting to worry! He's weak and needs to eat.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Saluki-Sue Posts: 21, Reputation: 5

Jun 7, 2006, 07:17 PM
    Get your pup to a vet. Is he drinking? If not then he will need to get some IV fluids. But go to a vet you trust and make sure there isn't more going on than just worms and kennel cough. Until you can get to a vet, you can try offering your pup some baby food ( chicken or beef) it is tasty and easy to digest.

Good luck
    VLynn123 Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

Jun 8, 2006, 01:26 PM
    I agree with the last answer, the dog needs to see a vet, I hope your dog is at least drinking. When my dog wasn't eating, the vet recommended I try feeding the dog boiled chicken, or rice with chicken broth. Good luck!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 8, 2006, 01:33 PM
    Okay, run, do not walk to your vet! I am not kidding here! I got a puppy form a local humane society and she too had kennel cough.

I say this not to frighten you, but you may be able to catch it in time, I was not that fortunate.

My situation was EXACTLY like yours except my pup was a springer spaniel. When I got her to the vet he did blood work and determined that she had distemper. Distemper is a neurological disease and is almost always fatal. He gave her several rounds of antibiotics, but did not guarantee that they would work.

About a week later she had to be put to sleep.

Feed your pup pedialite or gatoraide to aid in dehydration, with a dropper if you have to. Chicken or beef broth by a dropper also.

Is he weak and wantd to do nothing but lie around? If so, go to the vet as soon as you can!

Sorry this sounds like bad news, but it happened to me and I still miss my baby.
    j_keller Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2006, 03:55 AM
    We did take him to the vet last week. It was Cocidiosis (sp?) The Human Society refused to look at him and just gave us meds for kenel cough. We knew something wasn't right so we took him to a real vet. He's doing very good now after some fluids and the right medication.
    Saluki-Sue Posts: 21, Reputation: 5

Jun 12, 2006, 05:38 AM
    I'm so happy for you all. Now you can get on to the fun part... house training.
    VLynn123 Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

Jun 12, 2006, 08:57 AM
    I'm so happy for you. Hope things continue to go well.
    thelp Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 04:55 PM
    My puppy is having the same problem it is 10 weeks and won't eat anything the only thing he will drink is milk I'm very worried about him:( well I'm glad your dog is doing better!! :)
    SHERRYANDGREG Posts: 17, Reputation: 5

Apr 14, 2007, 09:51 PM
    Thelp,

It is not good to give dogs milk unless it is the milk replacement products you can buy from the pet store. Has your dog had any vaccintations? If it hasn't it could be a number of different things wrong. Please take your dog to the vet.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2007, 04:52 AM
    Read the ''My dog won't eat.'' section of the sticky, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171 If after reading the sticky, it isn't clear what your puppy needs, post back letting us know how long you have had the puppy, how long it hasn't been eating, whether it is fat or thin, other symptoms, etc. Unless it is very thin, Monday should be soon enough to see the vet if it hasn't started eating.

I agree Cows milk has lactose in it dogs can't digest.

You should find other sections of the sticky helpful too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My new puppy is sick! HELP [ 17 Answers ]

Well I just got a new puppy about a week ago and he is about 4weeks old! And he started sneezing and vomiting and won't keep anything down!! And I don't have the money to take him to the animal hospital! SO I was wondering if anyone knew what I could do at home to help my puppy!! PLEASE HELP

Very sick puppy [ 4 Answers ]

My puppy is 2 months old and he has roundworms. I gave him deworming pills and now he won't eat at all. He didn't eat for a full day and now going on another day. He throws up at least every hour but he is still drinking lots of water. He is pooping out blood and a little bit of water sometimes. He...

My dad is very sick [ 6 Answers ]

Hey everyone. I just found out last night that my dad is in the hospital with Chronic Leukimia. According to the doctors they said that this is a very treatable disease and that the disease itself is non-aggressive. The only thing that I don't understand is that my father had no symptoms. Such...

My dog is sick! [ 5 Answers ]

Hey my dog won't eat he has blissters on his mouth he is running a temp and has a swollen gland and I need 2 noe what it is fast so please help!! :eek:

Sick puppy has Parvo... Questions... [ 2 Answers ]

Well my poor doggy for sure has Parvo and is in the hospital. I got the pet shop I bought him at to treat him. Apparently they are scared of the outbreak (and they didn't have him adequately vaccinated for a 12 week old puppy!) They were going to put him to sleep and refund my $250 for him...

View more questions Search