Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    street36 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2008, 04:36 PM
    125 dryer cord, but 220 wall outlet
    Hello the dryer cord says it a 125 / 250 cord with the three prongs. The wall outlet is a new 220. The prongs do not match up. Can I get a new cord for the dryer and connect it or what should I do. Thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2008, 05:23 PM

There really isn't enough info to answer your question. Most driers ar 30 A 240 volts and wired with #10. Some are 3 and some are 4 4 wire.

You nned to determine the dryer requirements (20 A 240 V usually). The wire size used to wire the outlet and what it is fused at now. It might be easier to chance the receptacle.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 25, 2008, 06:03 PM

Is your dryer gas or electric. If gas you only need 120v outlet. If electric, need 240v. If indeed strictly electric, yes you can replace the whole cord with plug to match outlet, or replace just the plug on the end of the cord, or replace the outlet to match existing cord plug.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 25, 2008, 06:49 PM

You got some good advice so far. We really can say much more until you get back and tell us about your dryers requirements from the panel on the back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert Electric Dryer outlet to regular outlet [ 8 Answers ]

I just bought a gas dryer, leaving a funky 3 pronged outlet unused. The outlet was connected to the fuse box as a single circuit and I would like to let the new gas outlet take advantage of this. Is there any problem replacing the 'funky' electric dryer outlet to a regular three pronged outlet,...

220v dryer plug different than 220v wall outlet [ 16 Answers ]

Dryer has 2 flat and 1 round prong, outlet has 3 flat prongs. Is there an adapter for that? Also do they make a 220v extension cord or a two into one adapter for a 220v?

Dryer cord [ 2 Answers ]

How do I change an old 3 prong dryer cord to a new 4 prong cord. My dryer has 3 on it but new house has 4 prong receptale.

Need to Convert Wall Outlet to Fit GE Dryer Cord [ 2 Answers ]

Are there electrical cord converters that you can plug into the outlet. I just moved into a condo that was built in the 70s and my dryer is about 3 yrs old and has a L shaped prong at the top and wider bottom prongs. Is there a converter I can buy? The landlord doesn't want to upgrade to the...

In wall extension cord? [ 2 Answers ]

We had our TV mounted and installed a month ago and the installer said I should get an in wall extension cord because I couldn't run the tv's power cord through the wall. But when I googled the in wall extension cords it said that they weren't permanent fixes. What do I do to conceal the TV power...

View more questions Search