Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpt64 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2008, 03:51 PM
    Carrier furance backfires
    My carrier furance sometimes backfires like it is getting too much gas what could be the problem?
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2008, 05:03 PM

Could be dirty burners, gas pressure, cracked heat exchanger,or not venting properly. If the flame rolls out on start up it, probably dirty burners, Good luck, Mike
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2008, 08:56 PM
    I agree with acetc. I would start with checking the burners for rust build up.
    26kick Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2008, 05:13 PM
    Actec, would you please contact me at your earliest convenience regarding my post at diy, Replace Honeywell with Totaline - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum ?

Thank you,

Mark
    26kick Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Actec, My email address is [email protected]. Thanks
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 10, 2008, 06:17 PM

I also agree with acetc. Would also like to know more details about your furnace. How old? Natural draft, or draft induced. 80 percenter or 90+?
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Nov 10, 2008, 07:16 PM

What you have is referred to as delayed ignition. You should contact a reputable service company in your area. If you do have a cracked heat exchanger then the problem is only going to get worse until the furnace will roll out. Could be very dangerous.

Do you have a flue dampener by chance? I have seen them on older systems and they can seize up and cause similar symptoms.
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 10, 2008, 07:35 PM

I agree mark, my main concern would be with carbon monocide. There may be a simple fix to your problem, but there may also be a very dangerous occurrence happening in your house. We are not there so we cannot rightly solve your problem. Please call for onsite help. Take care, and please let us know what you decide.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2008, 08:06 PM

There is a pilot gas slot at the front of each burner, as the pilot lights one burner it lights the next until all of the burners are lit. If this little slot has stopped up from rust or dust the fire will not travel along the way it should, therefore the chamber that is not lighting the way it should has to overfill with gas until it puts enough gas out to reach the pilot slot. By this time the accumulated gas lights with a bang.

This may not be the problem is is just another suggestion.
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 10, 2008, 08:14 PM

Dead on info letmetellu, cross lighter bar could be dirty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & stratton backfires through the carby and won't run [ 8 Answers ]

My 12.5 hp B&S willnot runafter winter it is backfireing through the Carby & air filter

85 300ZXT Backfires [ 1 Answers ]

Aside from needing a tune-up, my 300zx backfires after shifting at low speeds. It does not backfire while driving on the highway.

Briggs 16.5 engine backfires [ 3 Answers ]

Took my Murray 42" select out of mothballs from winter storage. Replace the battery, checked and cleaned fuel line, checked float valve and needle, cleaned the fuel bowl, filled tank with new gas. Started first crank, but after a few seconds it began to backfire (shot flames) and continued until I...

Riding mower backfires when I try to start it [ 1 Answers ]

My 17.5 Briggs and stratton riding-mower motor backfires when I try to start it. It sounds about like a 20 gauge shotgun every few seconds. Why do I feel there's something wrong? And what can I do about it? Asks Zheem... :confused:

View more questions Search