Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kath00 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2008, 02:43 PM
    Can I homeschool Kindergarten to start my child early?
    Hello. So glad to have found this sight. I have an almost 4 year old (late Dec Bday) girl who is now reading and writing. She is very mature and clearly gifted. I asked my elementary school principal about starting her in K early and she said they never do that due to social reasons, etc.

SHe is in preschool and will need ANOTHER year of Pre-K before entering K, which to me seems like a crime. She is mature, smart, friendly and well adjusted. I was thinking maybe I can start to home school her (in addition to her pre-K school) next year and then move her into 1st grade early. She misses to cut off by 20 some days only.

I still plan on continuing her in pre-K next Fall but I thought I could round out her education with home schooling and then ask the public school here to admit her to 1st grade. Can I do this?

As an FYI, I also have a gifted 8 year old who skipped a grade (2nd) after it became clear that she was very bright. It was a big hassle because no one had skipped a grade before in this school. And it was disruptive to her to have to miss 2nd grade more so than I think it would be for my younger DD to enter K early (via home school if the district won't take her) and then go directly to 1st grade. My older DD is doing great (now in 4th grade) with absolutely no social or academic problems so I knew for her it was the right decision. I am trying to make the same decision for my younger one.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Katherine
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2008, 03:30 PM

By all means you can educate your child at home at any time you wish prior to attending regular school. Most schools that I have had the displeasure to deal with are basically know it all jerks. Am extremely surprised that your older daughter was able to skip a grade and go on with her education. Have your younger one at least attend K and then first grade so the school can see she can handle school and hopefully skip a grade as well. If they test for IQ so much the better for her.
    kath00 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    By all means you can educate your child at home at any time you wish prior to attending regular school. Most schools that I have had the displeasure to deal with are basically know it all jerks. Am extremely surprised that your older daughter was able to skip a grade and go on with her education. Have your younger one at least attend K and then first grade so the school can see she can handle school and hopefully skip a grade as well. If they test for IQ so much the better for her.
    Thanks for the advice! The principal told me that "off the record, between friends" she would recommend that I put my younger DD into a private K a year early if I want to have her start early as they under no circumstances would start her early otherwise. So I figure if I home school her for K (and continue with our private pre-K), they SHOULD accept the home school K as "credit" for time spent in K. But I have no guarantees.

Are state schools required to accept licensed home school curricula? If so, I guess there would be no trouble. I just wish I went into labor a month earlier! LOL. I just KNEW this was going to happen. Her B-day is the 29th of Dec and the cut off is the 2nd...

Katherine
    jessicafay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2012, 02:15 PM
    I was browsing the internet and fell upon your post. I know it has been a few years, however, I am in the same boat as you once were. My daughter is 4 and will be 5 September 30. The cut off in our state is September 1. My daughter is reading at a 3rd grade level and advanced in all other subjects/areas. I was hoping you could let me know if the home schooling thing worked? I am toying around with the idea of home schooling her for K and trying to get her into first grade the following her in the district.

Thanks in advance if you have any information you might have!

Jessica

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Public kindergarten vs. Homeschool kindergarten [ 24 Answers ]

I am a concerned grandma. My son & daughter-in-law are going to homeschool my grandson for kindergarten and then send him to public first grade next year when his sister will go to public kindergarten. He will be 6 the end of December. He is very bright and the actual learning part of...

Should my child skip kindergarten? [ 14 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old daughter who has attended headstart (pre school) since she was three. She is now ready to move on to "regular" school and start kindergarten this fall. Her teachers have told me that she is very excellerated for her age and that I should check into having her skip kindergarten...

Wpt shld my 27 month child join pre-school or kindergarten? [ 3 Answers ]

Hey... I am actually confused as to what should my 27 month old child join pre-school or kindergarten? Wots appropriate for her age? And wots the exact difference between these places? Thanks..

Can I still homeschool my child [ 6 Answers ]

I want to know when I can start haomeschooling my daughter she is 3 but, is already learning what you do in 1st grade. I use to be a aide in a dayschool( it's kind of like preschool but, a bit diffrent) but, when ca I start is it too early to start now? I'm have a mild form of desexlia(with both...

K-SEALS and VMI testing for early entrance to kindergarten [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone, My 4 year old son turns 5 on October 7, 2007. The cut off for automatic admission into Northwest Local School district in Cincinnati, Ohio is August 31, so he misses the cut off by 1 week. The district has put him through a series of "early entrance tests" to see if he "is...

View more questions Search