Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Foil Posts: 178, Reputation: 4

Oct 25, 2008, 04:56 AM
    When discount broker fails what happens to my stock, IRA ?
    I own savings, stocks, and a Roth IRA all set up using ETrade. Lately with eTrade Financial's stock price circling the bowl near ~$1.90 I'm wondering what happens to my stocks, savings and Roth IRA if Etrade goes belly up or is purchased by another company. The website says SIPC at the bottom, does this cover me?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 3, 2008, 12:15 PM

You are covered with respect to the individual stocks and funds you have in your account. Any cash in your account is covered by SIPC insurance up to $250K (the limit may actually be higher - not sure). Of course there's nothing to prevent losses if you actually invested in E-Trade company stock, but other than that there should be no problem. If E-trade is bought by someone else your account would eventually move over to that new company, so you would end up with a new web site and account number. But other than that it would be painless.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2008, 12:18 PM
    Hello Foil:

Emaines is correct... Of course, one would have to assume that the US would never default on its debt. I don't make that assumption.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Calculating Preferred Stock and Common Stock Dividend [ 1 Answers ]

I want help understanding calculating dividends on preferred stock, here is the question: Golf-Easy Company has 10,000 shares of 3% preferred stock of $50 par and 25,000 shares of $100 par common stock. The following amounts were distributed as dividends: Year 1 $40,000 Year 2 ...

Absorption Costing - Opening stock and closing stock query? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys, I have an absorption costing query on the profit statement, here are the notes: Selling price per unit = £20 Sales for year 1 = 10,000 Production = 20,000 Production Cost Per Unit = £10 YEAR ONE

Stock broker [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone please name the Online stock brokers for trading in International Stock Excahnges other than USA ? Also, Please Rank the best one if you can... I appreciate your help. Thank you.

Adjusting entries for common stock and preferred stock. [ 1 Answers ]

This is a question off my problem. I am hoping that someone can help. The corporation has stocks of preferred stock with a number of shares of 400 that cost $6,000 and common stock of shares for 300 that cost $9,000. The common stock has purchases on march 30 of 25 shares for the cost of $950 and...

View more questions Search