Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ohbrother Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 08:41 PM
    Sheriff is the process server, do I have to meet him?
    If the sheriff has contacted me and asked me to meet him so that he can serve me papers, can I get into trouble if I don't set up a meeting time? Can I legally get into trouble, as in arrested? This would be in King County, Washington
    lisa1122tx Posts: 39, Reputation: 3

Oct 24, 2008, 11:45 PM
    If he has civil papers to serve you then no. However, if he makes several attempts to serve you and cannot, then they can mail you the paperwork and or post it on your door and you are considered served. You might want to know what the paperwork is. You have to commit a criminal act to get arrested and that is not a criminal act.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2008, 11:56 PM
    Hi, ohbrother!

I know that it can really make a person nervous when the sheriff, or some other police type official, is wanting to meet them in some way to serve them papers. If you know that you haven't committed a crime of any kind, then I would suggest setting up the meeting. The sheriff, deputy, or other agent of the court oftentimes have to be the ones to serve things in order for them to be processed properly and officially.

I'm sure that someone else can explain about that much better than I have above, though.

If you know what this is concerning and that you haven't committed any crime, then why be afraid?

Thanks!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2008, 05:09 AM
    Hello oh:

No, you don't have to meet him... But, somebody is suing you, and you're going to get served one way or another. They can do it by publication, meaning that it's published in your local legal journal for a couple weeks, and then you're considered SERVED.

Then, of course, you won't know anything about it. You won't show up in court. They'll get a default judgment, and the first time you're going to be hearing about any of this is when they empty your bank accounts.

Sooooo, ifin it were me, I'd want to know who's suing me, and I'd want to go to court to defend my good name (well as good as the name excon can be defended).

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 25, 2008, 05:46 AM

Yes, hiding will not make it go away, and not finding out just means they will have a court hearing without you and you will lose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Process server at my house left without leaving anything [ 8 Answers ]

Help I have beenaway on vacation and I come back and a process server came to my house my stepson told him I wasn't in and he left, and I have no idea what this is about, how do I find out if there is a court date, I live in Florida. Thank you

Can a process server get into trouble for lying? [ 9 Answers ]

The process server filed that he served me when I was at work. He placed the paperwork in my door.

Server 2003 use as a router and connect susulinux server [ 1 Answers ]

I have configure suselinux 10.0 webserver with two nic one ip:192.168.1.3 sub:255.255.255.0 And another is 10.10.1.3 sub:255.0.0.0 and primary dns server(suselinux 10.0) 192.168.1.2 sub :255.255.255.0 and secong dns server(suselinux 10.0) with differenet ip:10.10.1.5 and sub:255.0.0.0 Now one...

Process server lied about service date! [ 3 Answers ]

I was recently served an Unlawful Detainer by the son of the Landlords attorney. He served me on the 18th of April but claimed to the court through his documentation that he served me on the 16th! When I went to the court house to file my Answer to the Unlawful Detainer the clerk told me a Default...

How to make Cleints server from Main server? [ 3 Answers ]

I am having Internet connection at one computer and I want to share the internet with other computers. Will that is possible the same connection is used with other 4 to 5 computers or at least one computer.

View more questions Search