Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amw4819 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 06:51 PM
    Pilot will not light - intermittent
    We have a Kenmore gas counter flow furnace, 75,000 BTU the ignitor clicks and tries to light, sometimes it works perfect, other times it takes three or four attempts. Gas company has been out 4 times this week, because the problem is intermittent, they are telling us to replace the furnace. Example: sometimes if you put the outside door panel on, the ignitor clicks but will not light, remove the front door and the pilot lights. Other times it will light perfect with the door on. The ignitor has been replaced, the Gas company wants to replace the pilot, but we found out it is no longer made. The gas pressure coming into the furnace/house has been tested, it is good. The model number of the furnace is 867.768070. Any help/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 24, 2008, 07:26 PM
    I would first check for loose wires especially ground wires in your furnace. Also if the blower door has a safety switch I would check it also. Intermittent problems are the most difficult.

You might post a picture of the ignitor. Sears never made a furnace they always buy from some other company and put there name on it so it might still ba available.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does putting gas hot water heater dial on PILOT put pilot light out? [ 5 Answers ]

My gas hot water heater dial has OFF to the left, PILOT in the middle and ON to the right. If we are going away and want to not have the water heated can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would...

Gas furnace has an intermittent pilot, pilot lights, furnace tries to start [ 3 Answers ]

Have a 25 plus year old furnace pilot will start when signal sent furnace tries to start makes noise as it tries over and over but will not start. Thanks

Carrier 58GS050C intermittent pilot issue [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier 58GS-050-C-161EA furnace. It was installed back in March of '92 and in the past few weeks I've been having issues. At first it would run fine for a few days, and then shut off. If I cycled the power to the unit it would start again, run fine for a few days and then shut off...

Gas furnace intermittent electric ignition won't light pilot [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier gas furance with a pilot that lights by an intermittent electric ignitor. Occasionally, when the thermostat calls for heat, the electric ignition will spark repeatedly but ultimately, the pilot will not light. If I turn the thermostat off and then back on again, the problem...

Intermittent Pilot Ignition Control Wiring Help? [ 2 Answers ]

I have an older Carrier gas furnace. The Intermittent Pilot Ignition Control is short cycling. I ordered a replacement one. However, with everything else now days, the newer one does not match the older one. The older one (p/n 50D49-401) has three brown wires, one red wire, one white wire, one...

View more questions Search