Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsmith78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Want custody of friends baby
    I have a friend that wants to give me custody of her child. I need to know how to get full custody of this child so I can raise he/she as my own? The child is not born yet.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 24, 2008, 10:35 AM

I'm not an expert in the law, but I'll give you my opinion. Hopefully someone with more knowledge in this area will come on soon.

As far as I know the mother and father of the child would have to sign over their rights to the child. You'll need a lawyer in order to get custody.

You will have to be declared fit to parent this child, I'm sure that your finances, life, home, and everything else will be looked at before you can gain custody.

Like I said, this is just a guess, I'm not an expert in the law.

Please check back frequently, we have many experts on this site, we all do this in our spare time and we have members from all over the world, it may take some time before you question is answered.

Good luck.
    div2wice Posts: 103, Reputation: 1
    -

Oct 24, 2008, 01:34 PM
    I agree... nor am I an expert but in all adoption cases the parent and/or parents need to sign over their parental rights.
    Even though it's a friend, it may be a good idea to go through an adoption lawyer, to insure everything is handled correctly. Legal wise... Have papers drawn up that are detailed (i.e. whether it will be an open or closed adoption, who will pay the fees, medical care during the pregnancy, etc)
    The lawyer would also help in filing the adoption papers after the baby is born, etc. Its expensive to go through a lawyer, but it is really essential in a case like this where an adoption agency isn't involved. Just safer this way.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custody of a new born baby? [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend just broke up with me and I am due July 2nd with his baby but he is mean and drinks and I don't think that he should have any rights how do I go through with this situation.:confused:

Custody of baby [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: I, have a situation where the mother threatens the father that if he does something she will take the baby away from him and never let him see the babyh again. The child is now only a few months old. Her sister is now also telling the father he has NO rights then to see the baby if she...

Adoption of a friends baby [ 8 Answers ]

I have a friend who is pregnant. She can't take care of the baby and she wants me to take her. I want to but we are not sure about the laws and how to go about it. Neither one of us has a lot of money and we don't know what to do. We live in pa.

Custody of my unborn baby? [ 9 Answers ]

Got married in February I found out I was pregnant in March and My husband is now living with his mother because he says " he will never put nothing before her" She is "the most important thing, the only person who stood by him for 13 years that he was in prison" Our baby is due in November and...

How to get legal custody of ex-friends children [ 1 Answers ]

An Old Friend Called Me In Feb. 07 Asked Me And My Husband To Be Temorary Legal Guardians Of Her Children Ages 9 And 13. She Is On Drugs And Has Been In Jail Recently For Drug Arrest And Stealing Her Ex-mother-in-laws Credit Card, Father In It With Her Also. They Both Are Un Fit To Raise The...

View more questions Search