Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DSJ05 Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Oct 24, 2008, 09:45 AM
    What is a healthy way to gain weight.
    I use to lift weights all the time when I was in high school because I played baseball. Now I'm almost 20 and I haven't lifted weights for a good year now and I find myself out of shape. I've always had a hard time gaining weight. When I was lifting I had a lot of muscle mass which made me weigh more. But now I've lost a lot of that muscle mass in my arms, shoulders, and stomach and I'm very thin. My question is what would be a good way to make myself start lifting again and what would help me gain weight in a healthy way??
    bronzebelle Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Oct 25, 2008, 02:35 PM
    Hi,

I have been training for over 10 years and had a partner who had the same issue as you.
    He was very slim and wanted to bulk up.
    Unfortunately lifting weights makes up only 20% of this equation. If you wish to gain weight healthily and turn it to muscle you have to eat eat eat.
    Now I don't mean stuff yourself full of Burger King and Pizza Hutt!

The best way to achieve your goal is to eat regular balanced meals which are high in protein.
    Before you check out the site I've recommended remember - to get big takes A lot of work so you won't end up looking like Arnie if you eat big and lift weights.
    To look like a body builder means training every day for hours, so don't be put off by the beefcakes:)!
    Good luck. Bodybuilding.com - Planet Muscle - Eat Big To Be Big
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2008, 10:11 AM

To gain weight, the first rule is not to eat junk food, it's greasy and has a high content of transfat and saturated fats. Start by eating 3 large snacks and 3 large meals. Good sources of protein are Omega 3 fatty acids sources like tuna, flax, walnuts, salmon, lean meatsn skinless poultry, nuts, seeds, legumes, chickpeas, kidney beans, peanut butter, omelets, whole grain cereals, rice pasta, granola, bagels and cornbread. You can also add veggies like avocados, olives, potatoes, peas, corn, squash, and fruits like canned fruit in syrup, and fruit nectars. I would also add nutritional suplements and protein powder drinks, such as Ensure and carnation instant breakfast,or soy protein powders, for instance. When cooking cereals, soups, sacues mix milk instead of water, Add cooked chopped meat, wheat germ, nuts, beans or cheeses, to your meals, casseroles.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Healthy weight? Or lose weight? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to raise my fitness level and loose wieght around my stomach, and upper legs. Although my family and friends say losing wieght would be dangerous, but I think there just saying that. Im so confused, I see myself as overweight and my family sees me as fine. I hate being so self...

How to gain a healthy body? [ 3 Answers ]

I am so worried that I am very thin... I am 18 years old. I want your suggestion that how to gain a healthy body without spending a lot of money. Please suggest. You can put your suggestions to my email address [email protected] you.

Dog is underweight - What is the healthy way to get her to gain some weight? [ 14 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Boxer. She is a fantastic dog. However, I am concerned that she is underweight. From the day we got her, she has not been food motivated. Initially, I tried the feed her 3 times a day and only leave it out for 15 minutes. The theory goes that they will learn that the food...

Lose Weight, Gain Muscle the healthy way. [ 9 Answers ]

Aloha, My name is Grace from Hawaii, and I was wondering If anyone had a good way to lose weight and gain Muscle at the same time... the healthy way. My area of work requires a fit body, well only If you require success. I just want to feel good About the way I look. Can anyone help? ...

Am I at a healthy weight [ 3 Answers ]

At the beginning of 8th grade I weighed 141 and I was 5ft 4inches, Now I am 130 and 5ft 5inches. I lost weight but I want to loose more. Am I at a healthy weight. I am a girl, and I have been dancing since I was 3 and now I am 14. I dance 4 nights a week.

View more questions Search