Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tifflovett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 06:04 AM
    How to go by getting custody of your boyfriends niece
    My boyfriends niece is very mistreated he mother takes her to parties and just doesn't care about her she's a year old. The mother also had 2 other kids that were taken away by the dads sister. I want to know how to go about doing this and what steps to take
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Oct 24, 2008, 06:21 AM

Since you aren't even related, you're going to have a hard time getting custody. Then, too, you and your boyfriend are not married, and therefore (in the eyes of the court) not in a permanent relationship.

If you want to get custody, you're going to need a good lawyer.

If you just want the child in a safer environment, you need to call CPS.
    div2wice Posts: 103, Reputation: 1
    -

Oct 24, 2008, 01:40 PM
    I agree completely...

First, if you're concerned about her safety you need to contact CPS. At that time, they'll do an investigation to see if the child needs to be removed.

If your boyfriend is interested in adopting or fostering the child he will need to contact CPS, tell them he is family & inquire about fostering or adopting. He will need to go through the same process as any other foster parent or adoptive parent. Just because he's family doesn't exclude him from the adoption rules/protocol. They may be able to grant temporary custody to him if the chid is in extreme danger, but its most likely she'll be removed to a foster family.

From what I understand, they (CPS) usually want to keep the kids in the family. So if your boyfriend is interested in adopting, he needs to make it well known that he wants the child. Most CPS workers will do what they can to help the family member get custody.

You really don't have a say or anything in the situation. If you two were married you would, but since you are not it would be him contacting CPS and him going through the process.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Nov 3, 2008, 06:47 AM

Michelle Miller,

It is the policy at AMHD to give all of our advice in the forums.

Please either give your advice in the forum, or at least stop trolling your email address and nothing more as your answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Want to take custody of my 5yr old niece [ 9 Answers ]

Hi everyone, my name is Tanya, I'm 21 yrs old, single and in the military. I want to take custody of my 5 yr old niece and also find a good place for her sisters 17 month old twins. Their mother uses drugs and does not take care of them like she's supposed to. My brother who's her father is going...

Want custody of my niece [ 1 Answers ]

About 12 years ago my brother in-law and his wife got divorced and gave up custody of there 2 kids. The younger one lived with a great uncle and his wife. They recently got divorced and she now lives with the woman. She is no blood relation. The little girl has rotten teeth and her head has...

Want custody of my niece... [ 6 Answers ]

I want to take custody of my niece but I'm not sure where to turn. She is three years old and has already lived through more stuff than I have. My brother is in a bad situation and she is not being taken care of. I would like to approach him with this but I want to know the facts first. I also know...

View more questions Search