Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Jun 5, 2006, 05:30 PM
    Basement outlets
    Ok, I wanted to clarify something that was said in another thread but wasn't sure if I should add to that one or start a new one. I have heard that you should place GFI outlets in your basement. TkRussell stated that you do not need them ot is not code for fridges, freezers, washers, sump pumps. I have all but the fridge and was going to add a GFI to the washer, freezer, sump pump and dehumidifier. Is it necessary TK? I wanted to make sure I read your post correctly. Thanks.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2006, 06:10 PM
    No not necessary and not recommended. Code only requires outlets for general purpose, which means, for portable drills , drop lights, etc be GFI protected.

Only those that are readily accessible and could be used by people with cords and portable equipment. And there must be at least one outlet at the electrical panel, which usually is in the basement.

GFI protection is not requires for stationary equipment, such as freezers, frig, or for critical equipment, such as permanently installed sump pumps. These appliances actually require a single receptacle.

Or a duplex , which can feed two cord connected critical appliances.

Jun 5, 2006, 06:27 PM
    Only those that are readily accessible and could be used by people with cords and portable equipment. And there must be at least one outlet at the electrical panel, which usually is in the basement.
    What do you mean by an outlet at the electrical panel? Sorry to be so dense I just don't see the logic. Thanks TK for being so patient. :)
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2006, 02:24 AM
    This is a requirement of National Electric Code. Who said anything about logic?

At least one outlet must be installed in an unfinished basement, and must be GFI, so they require the first one at the panel.

Jun 8, 2006, 05:39 AM
    Oh I see. I have an outlet that sets next to the panel. If I change that to GFI hopefully that will satisfy. I believe it is the first one on that particular circuit. Thanks for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too many outlets on a circuit? [ 5 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into our home 2 years ago(newly built) and the home had an unfinished basement(2 car garage and 2 unfinished rooms). The basement is currently on 1 circuit. Both rooms are now finished and each have 4 electrical outlets. The garage has 3 eletrical outlets, and there are also 2...

Wire size for Outlets in basement family room [ 6 Answers ]

I am finally getting around to doing our family room in the basement. I was wondering what size wire to pull for the outlets should I use 12/2 with ground or 14/2 with ground. Also putting in recess lights should I use 12/2 with ground for them or 14/2 with ground. Thanks T

GFI outlets [ 6 Answers ]

I have an older home with no GFI outlets. What is involved in installing them, and how many do I need? Thanks, Roca

Outlets not working [ 3 Answers ]

I posted a question a couple months ago about some outlets that aren't working in my house. I have done some further investigating and here is what I know as of now. The outlets that do not work are all on the same circuit - with the exception of one which is outside in the backyard. I have...

No power to outlets! [ 2 Answers ]

Just recently noticed that one of the bedrooms outlets and the switches in the adjacent half bath were not getting any power... they worked just fine earlier in the day. The light in the bedroom works fine but the outlets do not. I checked all my breakers traced them and they all seem to do...

View more questions Search