Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Risso Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2004, 04:55 PM
    A/C on a 98 Ford Explorer
    I recently had a new engine put in my '98 Explorer and now the a/c doesn't work. When I talked to the service manager at Ford I was told that they didn't go near the a/c and that they weren't responsible for fixing it. This is what they told me was wrong with the a/c; I needed a new accumulator, new water valve and a new orifice tube. What are the chances of 3 things going wrong with the a/c at the same time after replacing the engine? They basically told me that I had to "prove" that they were at fault.

THANKS for any replies
    Risso
    teeceeum Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2004, 09:45 AM
    A/C on a 98 Ford Explorer
    If you had witnesses to the fact that the A/C was working fine just before they got it and that it never worked from the time you picked it up, you will pretty much have proven your case. I also would not hesitate to get Ford Motor Company involved. You would be surprised how helpful they can be.

Oh yeah, Since about 80% of the A/C system is under the hood, they most certainly did go near the A/C. They had to remove the compressor from the engine, for one thing. And they had to make sure that all the lines were out of the way if they didn't open the A/C system. I strongly suspect that they disconnected the compressor from the coolant lines.
    raymond47 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2004, 02:22 PM
    Re: A/C on a 98 Ford Explorer
    I checked the Mitchell on Demand for r+r instructions for both 4.0 and the 5.0 engines and was instructed to remove the air compressor and condenser on one of the 4.0 engines. Replaceing the componets mentioned is good proctice after a system has been open to the atmosphere. Since they did not mention any other components I would suggest the system was opened as oppsed to having a leak... When you get the system fixed make sure those parts are replaced as they are especcially important to keeping the system working properly. Don't mind the spelling errors as spelling was not one of my better subjects in school.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brake lights on ford explorer [ 5 Answers ]

My brake lights on my Explorer are out. The problem is not the bulbs. What should I be looking for that would cause this problem? Appreciate any help. Mickey

98 Ford Explorer ac problem [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 98 Ford explorer with 5.0 V8. Last year I experienced ac problems where it just quit blowing cold. I read forums on the internet about the accumulator being wrapped and rusting (which mine was pretty bad), so I replaced it. After I recharged the system it worked fine for about 3-4 weeks...

Ford Explorer Brake Lights [ 4 Answers ]

My 2003 explorer brake lights will not turn off when I turn off my car. Can you help?

RABS Ford Explorer [ 1 Answers ]

The rear anti-lock brakes light on the dash is on on my 1992, is there a likely problem to cause this? I took the sensor out from the differential to clean it but it did'nt help. What's the first thing to check or replace? Thanks Rudy

Transmission Problem Ford Explorer Sport [ 3 Answers ]

My 97 explorer sport does not shift into overdrive. What is the problem?

View more questions Search