Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2008, 07:09 PM
    Connecting printer to wireless network
    What is the best way to use a printer for more than one computer in a wireless network? The printer is now connected to the desktop computer and I would like to be able to print from my wireless laptop. I know that windows XP has this feature, but I have tried several times to make it work with very limited success. Can the printer be connected to the wireless router directely?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2008, 08:26 PM

Is the desktop wired or wireless?
    What interfaces does the printer have? USB, parallel, ethernet

"Best" depends. Cheapest is to share the printer on the desktop, but the desktop would have to be powered on to print. Is this acceptable?

There are wired/wireless printers. There are wired/wireless printservers. Possibly the best solution would be a USB serial server. There are networked printers.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Thanks for the quick response.

Desktop is wired, USB. As I mentioned, I have tried printer sharing with the Windows XP networking option with limited success. (works sometimes) I would prefer to not leave the desktop powered up if at all possible. I have been researching wireless printer servers. Is this the best way to go, in your opinion?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2008, 09:09 PM

Look at these:

Keyspan | Products | USB Products

All products should support WIFI when connected to a wired router.

At home I have a Laser printer with USB and Ethernet which is connected via Ethernet.

I also have a wireless/wired printserver for an HP Inkjet which is now operating in wireless mode. I went for an expensive one because they work and a Linksys didn't. Now it goes to standby, prints and goes back to standby like its supposed to.

I have one of the Keyspan devices, but haven't taken it out of the box yet. I want it for a disk drive. They don't share audio or video USB devices.

Printers seem to work with fixed IP addresses and they are a little better behaved in wired mode.
    tbacha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2008, 10:55 PM

Dear can you please give detail about network coniguration /ip setting ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weird Wireless Issue, laptop shuts down wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, here it goes. I am in the process of fixing a buddies computer. He has a dv8000 HP. When I got it, he said that it will not connect to the internet either through wireless or cat5. I brought it home, were have a wireless network and tried to connect. I get no connection and limited or no...

Connect to wireless printer and wireless router at the same time [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I can connect wirelessly to my router and I can connect wirelessly to my pinter one at a time. If I'm browsing the internet and want to print I have to break my connection to the router and connect to the printer. This is a pain in the .(especially when listening to pandora radio) ...

Pc not always connecting to wireless network [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Running XP and have a Linksys wireless router connected to cable modem. Problem I have is when starting up laptop it doesn't always connect to wireless network (there a cross through the TV monitor icon at bottom right of screen) if I right click and repair this will solve the problem most...

Not on college network, my computer says it cannot detect wireless network?Belkin [ 2 Answers ]

I took my Dell laptop with me to college and used a cable to hook it up in the dorm. When I came back for the holidays my parents had gotten a new wireless card (BELKIN) for their laptop but said that they didn't change anything else. My computer used to run wireless at this home and my parents...

Sharing a printer across a wireless network [ 2 Answers ]

Can a laptop share across a wirless network a printer physically connected to another laptop?

View more questions Search