Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snowalps Posts: 141, Reputation: 7

Oct 24, 2008, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aaj2008 View Post
    This quote struck me as odd as I was reading....it actually takes millions of sperm to penetrate the outer layer of an egg...
    But it takes just one to fertilize, and in fact after one has made contact with the egg, the others do not make any contact with it, there is a kind of shield that prevents others from reaching the egg.. just one does the job.
    spyderglass Posts: 434, Reputation: 34

Oct 24, 2008, 07:17 PM

That is why we needed this thread, J_9 is an expert, and Alty should be one-
    aaj2008 Posts: 139, Reputation: 7

Oct 24, 2008, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by snowalps View Post
    but it takes just one to fertilize, and infact after one has made contact with the egg, the others do not make any contact with it, there is a kind of shield that prevents others from reaching the egg..just one does the job.
    I did not say the egg itself... I said the outer layer...

Oct 24, 2008, 07:21 PM

The outer layer of the egg is the egg.
    snowalps Posts: 141, Reputation: 7

Oct 24, 2008, 07:22 PM
    I did not say the egg itself...I said the outer layer...
    Then it's the egg..

Oct 24, 2008, 07:27 PM

An egg cell is 150 microns in size, and is colourless and semi-transparent. It is the shape of a sphere and its outer part is surrounded by a soft yet tough membrane. Within the structure of the egg there are extra nutrients like fat, sugar and proteins. This reserve of nutrients will ensure that the egg cell is nourished on its journey and, if fertilization occurs, will take care of its needs until it reaches the uterus...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 24, 2008, 07:32 PM

Here you go (from Wikipedia) --

Penetration
    Fertilization starts with a man and a woman initiating sexual intercourse. The man inserts the penis into the womans vagina, penetrating her vaginally. When the man experiences orgasm, semen containing millions of sperm are ejaculated from the penis and deposited in the vagina. Propelled through the female reproductive tract by flagellation, some of these sperm may reach the cell membrane of the oocyte, and a single sperm may penetrate the membrane. To reach the oocyte, the sperm must pass through the corona radiata and the zona pellucida; two layers covering and protecting the oocyte from fertilization by more than one sperm.

Corona radiata
    The sperm passes through the corona radiata, a layer of follicle cells on the outside of the secondary oocyte.

Acrosome reaction
    The acrosome reaction must occur to mobilise enzymes within the head of the spermatozoon to degrade the zona pellucida.

Zona pellucida
    The sperm then reaches the zona pellucida, which is an extra-cellular matrix of glyco-proteins. A special complementary molecule on the surface of the sperm head then binds to a ZP3 glyco-protein in the zona pellucida. This binding triggers the acrosome to burst, releasing enzymes that help the sperm get through the zona pellucida.

Some sperm cells consume their acrosome prematurely on the surface of the egg cell, facilitating for surrounding, having on average 50% genome similarity, to penetrate the egg cell.[1] It may be regarded as a mechanism of kin selection.

Cortical reaction
    When the sperm penetrates the zona pellucida, the cortical reaction occurs: cortical granules inside the secondary oocyte fuses with the plasma membrane of the cell, causing enzymes inside these granules to be expelled by exocytosis to the zona pellucida. This in turn causes the glyco-proteins in the zona pellucida to cross-link with each other, making the whole matrix hard and impermeable to sperm. This prevents fertilization of an egg by more than one sperm.

Oct 24, 2008, 08:43 PM

Thank you wondergirl, I hate going back and forth :)
    Mrcuddlesworth Posts: 96, Reputation: 2

Oct 24, 2008, 08:57 PM

Is it true that mastubation is healthy for the males body?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2008, 07:23 AM
    An egg cell is 150 microns in size, and is colourless and semi-transparent. It is the shape of a sphere and its outer part is surrounded by a soft yet tough membrane. Within the structure of the egg there are extra nutrients like fat, sugar and proteins. This reserve of nutrients will ensure that the egg cell is nourished on its journey and, if fertilization occurs, will take care of its needs until it reaches the uterus.....

Yes, many are trying to be the first in as they surround the egg, but once that soft, yet tough membrane is penetrated by just one, a reaction takes place that causes that membrane to harder to all other sperm trying to get in.

In actuality there are very few (given the number that started the journey) who even get to the egg. Many are misshapen, are too weak, or have no sense of direction (and certainly won't just follow the others because that would be conceding that they don't know where they are going in the first place). Given that, along with several other steps along the way... secretion of necessay enzymes, penetration, acceptance by the egg, available proteins, etc. having any of those functions fail, will cause the egg not to be fertilized. When you think about all that has to be in place for it to happen, from both the male and the female side, it is no wonder it can take quite a bit of time for conception to occur.

Even more simple... Think of it as a pie eating contest... all the members are trying to be first to finish as quickly as possible and win the prize. They aren't helping each other, just focusing on the job at hand, and they will vary in what they bring to the table and how they tackle the job. There can be only one winner who finishes first. Once that one finishes, the others stop the race... :)

Oct 25, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    Yes, many are trying to be the first in as they surround the egg, but once that soft, yet tough membrane is penetrated by just one, a reaction takes place that causes that membrane to harder to all other sperm trying to get in.

In actuality there are very few (given the number that started the journey) who even get to the egg. Many are misshapen, are too weak, or have no sense of direction (and certainly won't just follow the others because that would be conceding that they don't know where they are going in the first place). Given that, along with several other steps along the way....secretion of necessay enzymes, penetration, acceptance by the egg, available proteins, etc., having any of those functions fail, will cause the egg not to be fertilized. When you think about all that has to be in place for it to happen, from both the male and the female side, it is no wonder it can take quite a bit of time for conception to occur.

Even more simple.....Think of it as a pie eating contest....all the members are trying to be first to finish as quickly as possible and win the prize. They aren't helping each other, just focusing on the job at hand, and they will vary in what they bring to the table and how they tackle the job. There can be only one winner who finishes first. Once that one finishes, the others stop the race....:)
    Yes... I know this... I'm not retarded.. they said it takes one sperm to get someone pregnant... so you agree with me... one sperm entering the vaginal canal has a low chance of getting someone pregnant
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 25, 2008, 08:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrcuddlesworth View Post
    Is it true that mastubation is healthy for the males body??
    Yes, this is true actually. It helps keep the prostate healthy.
    Expert

Oct 25, 2008, 08:39 AM
    Yes....I know this...I'm not retarded..they said it takes one sperm to get someone pregnant....so you agree with me...one sperm entering the vaginal canal has a low chance of getting someone pregnant
    No one called you retarded, so please keep those comments out of this thread.

One sperm is not going to enter the vaginal canal it's impossible for a man to release just one sperm.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2008, 09:12 AM

I think the emotional side of sex ed is important too so here are my questions:

If I have sex with my boyfriend will that make him love me/ stop him leaving me?

If I haven't had sex by the age X will I be a loser/alone forever/uncool etc?

All my friends are having sex and I'm not, does this mean there is something wrong with me?

It always makes me sad for the kids who ask these questions.
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Yes....I know this...I'm not retarded..they said it takes one sperm to get someone pregnant....so you agree with me...one sperm entering the vaginal canal has a low chance of getting someone pregnant
    I agree with you in part... You said "it takes millions of sperm to penetrate the egg" and that they make a hole for that one sperm. Perhaps it is somewhat a case of semantics, but yes, while millions of sperm will be ejaculated, only a few hundred (at best) reach the egg. They are not working together to make an entrance for one lucky sperm, the ones that are able to even get close enough to attach to the egg (just one of the many hurdles to overcome) are all trying to be that first one in.
    Others have said "it takes just one"... referring to the one that gets through to the egg (which is true), not that just one will be present in the ejaculate (which no one has stated).
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by templelane View Post
    I think the emotional side of sex ed is important too so here are my questions:

If I have sex with my boyfriend will that make him love me/ stop him leaving me?

If I haven't had sex by the age X will I be a loser/alone forever/uncool ect?

All my friends are having sex and I'm not, does this mean there is something wrong with me?

It always makes me sad for the kids who ask these questions.

Depends on a person's perspective, but IMO:

1) Having sex may or may not strengthen someone's feelings towards the other person. If often depends on what the feelings are to begin with. It certainly won't stop someone from leaving... even though girls (in particular) are often told that. One thing young girls, and even older women, should consider is that if their partner truly cares about them, there will be no pressure to have sex. No "If you loved me you would"... "I'll stay with you if you get pregnant". No guy is worth hanging onto if it means you have to compromise your values, or what you believe to be right for you, in order for him to want to be with you. In a healthy relationship, you don't try to persuade someone to go against what they are comfortable with.

2) This goes for both girls and boys... as both often get mixed messages about what they "should" be doing, usually under the assumption that everyone else already is. Guys sometimes feel they are expected to at least try to get their girlfriend to have sex with them and girls sometimes feel if they don't "give in" their boyfriend will find someone else who will. Unfortunately, guys will get the better end of the deal in regard to reputations... they are often seen more as a "real man" with a number of conquests under their belt... whereas girls are more often seen as being easy if they have a number of partners. The pressure to fit in and not stand out is tremendous... which is unfortunate. In time, when these kids are older... much of the time, the girls in particular, wish they hadn't slept around as much or given in to keep a boyfriend and would do things differently if they could go back. Guys will often still say they prefer a wife who has not slept around... the adage that some girls are for sleeping with and just having a good time, while others are the type you would want to actually marry, raise children with, and spend your life together.

3) Many times, not ALL of the friends really are having sex... and even if they were, it wouldn't mean there is anything wrong with someone who wasn't. In some cases, it could even be that that person knows themselves better, is more mature, is not going to take any chances, and is able to stand up for what they believe is right for them and their future. Just as with a boyfriend or girlfriend, your friends should support you in what your decision regarding when to have sex is. Even friends, in their own insecurity, will sometimes make comments simply because they have a sense of guilt or regret about their own actions and it is much easier if others they know are also in the same boat. Many probably wish they could go back and do things differently, especially if they were the ones who believed the lines used to get them to have sex in the first place.

Now, saying all of that... I know full well that many young people will find it difficult to overcome those feelings of thinking they don't fit in if they aren't having sex, of wanting to have someone like or love them, of needing to hang onto a boyfriend or girlfriend for fear they will be alone, or simply feel that they really are in a loving and committed relationship... those are the kids in particular who need the education of ways to keep themselves as safe as possible if they are deciding to have sex.
    Expert

Oct 25, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Doula, it is so good to have you here!! Glad you found the thread.
    anxious_RN Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2008, 10:55 AM

I know this is a little goofy since I am a sophomore in Nursing school and I still don't know this... but hey all we have learned so far is about the body. Nothing about birth control.

HOW exactly does birth control help to prevent pregnancy? I'm under the impression that it is made up of hormones.. estrogen and progesterone to help prevent ovulation? Is that the only thing it does?

If the pill is made to prevent ovulation - how do some people get pregnant while taking it? No ovulation = no egg to get fertilized = no baby.

Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 15, 2008, 11:06 AM

AnxiousRN, There are many different birth control pills out there. Some contain estrogen and progestin, others contain only progestin.

The pill is meant to stop the ovaries from releasing eggs, it's also supposed to make the mucus in the cervix get thicker, making it harder for the sperm to enter. Also, the lining of the uterus gets thinner making it hard for a fertilized egg to attach to the wall.

Notice that nowhere in that description did I say, "It will do this and that." I said "it's supposed to do these things". No birth control is 100% effective.

Also remember, the pill is only effective if taken daily, around the same time each day. In other words, there's lots of room for human error.

The pill and a condom is a good combination, but still not 100% effective in some cases.

Having said that, using birth control is still better than not using anything, you will lower the odds of pregnancy with birth control, but you won't completely take away the possibility of becoming pregnant.
    sammyjazel1974 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2008, 11:00 PM
    Hi I just want to ask...
    If we had sex and he inject the sperm inside the vagina...
    Is the sperm going to fall off if the girl have pee after the sex
    ... just curious:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Are You Pregnant Or Think You Are? Have Questions? Post New Questions Here.. [ 21 Answers ]

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you think you might be pregnant, or are pregnant, post your questions here, as the other thread is getting so large that it's hard to keep them organized. Also, if you are a teen and have questions and/or fears, let us know and we'll help as best as we can, or find...

Two questions. [ 6 Answers ]

When a girl has sex with a guy unprotected and he finishes inside her.. how long does it take for the to come out of her? This next question is extremely personal and has to do with STD's but I don't know where else to ask it so I'll ask it under this topic.. I had sex with my boyfriend like...

Car questions [ 3 Answers ]

Okay I have some questions about cars. Is it better to buy a used newer car with more miles or a used older car with less miles? Also if I buy a car from a individual, not a car company, do I still pay a tax on the car? In addition to that, once I buy the car, how I get a license plate...

Tax questions for the EIC [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, my sister is married and has 3 kids, 2 of the oldest were born normal but the 3rd was born with profound mental retardation and is now 13 years old and lives at home with his parents, she use to claim the oldest kids on here taxs for the EIC but has never claimed the 13 year old before until...

Three questions... [ 6 Answers ]

I've read through just about every question posted trying to find information on Daschund pregnancies. What I've found is not any help at all! The reason being is that we have only had our dog for just about a month now. We got her through some people who had picked up the abandoned dogs... the...

View more questions Search