Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2006, 01:59 PM
    Christian Debt Relief, Credit counselors, etc...
    I posted this in here because I really want religioun-based answers...

I work in the financial solutions/debt/credit industry... I do a lot of marketing and such and always run into these sites:

"The borrower is servent to the lender - Proverbs 22:7
    No one who is financially bound can be spiritually free. "

"Our mission: To bring His followers closer to Him
    By working diligently in these areas, we receive an unparelled blessing: the knowledge that thousands are going forth better equipped to do His service in the world."

"Discover the Christian Advantage Today!"

"Free Credit COunseling and Debt Management Ministry"

This kind of stuff just makes me sick. What exactly does the Bible say about this?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2006, 02:39 PM
    No need to cite scripture. The advertisers you mention are deceivers. Proverbs is correct: Borrowers serve Lenders. So what? There is no sin. The sin is in this sort of advertisement that misleads the less than astute Christian person in debt.

We both know that the company has no interest in bringing people closer to God.

That sort of crap - pardon my french! - just burns me up too!!

... sorry to rant and rave.. . :o
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2006, 10:36 PM
    Well I'm not a Christian, but that's just plain weird. Not to mention insulting to "real" Christians... it cheapens the Christian faith, IMO. And I can't help thinking, if they said something like,

"Discover the Jewish (or Muslim or Buddhist) Advantage today" instead of Christian, the site would be considered racist / prejudiced.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 6, 2006, 10:56 AM
    The closest to real "christian" debt advice comes from some of the authors and radio people like Ramsey who basically tell you not to borry any money ever for anything except maybe your house. They recommend a budget and paying your bills off in a program to pay your debts.

Cheating people out of a portion of an agreed to contract is not christian in any form.

But being in debt at all is not a christian idea either, christians should not be borrowing money to buy things
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2006, 10:56 AM
    Rickj, I didn't quote scripture... those are quotes straight from the websites!

Yeah, I didn't have so much of a question here just a little rant myself! Its just so obvious, I don't get it! And to think of all the people that fall for that... isn't that exactly the reason Jesus drove those venders out of the temple??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anyone work with Superior Debt Relief? [ 18 Answers ]

Let me know if anyone has ever worked with them!

Credit Card Debt - How to Get out of IT? [ 12 Answers ]

I have a large credit card debt of $26000+ on a single card, and a few debts of $900-$1450 on three other cards. I am on a student fellowship, so I don't get very much money each month, but I really need to get out from under this debt - this month the interest rate seems to have drastically...

Credit Card Debt Should I Pay? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi My Father Was Given A Credit Card Several Years Ago And Was Financially Unable To Pay It Off. Now He Has Been Served With A Court Date To Pay This Credit Card. He Does Not Own Anything And Is On Social Security, I Heard That There Is Nothing They Can Do To Him To Make Him Pay This Now. Please...

Credit Card debt [ 3 Answers ]

Is it legal for a credit card company (Sears) to garnish your wages? And have access to your bank account? i.e to know when and how much money you deposite in your checking account.

View more questions Search