Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vmchieu Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2008, 11:51 AM
    First Year Choice: worldwide income
    A person worked in France from 1/1/2006 to 9/14/2006. Then she worked in the US from 9/15/2006 to 12/31/2006, and continued to work in the US the whole 2007 year under a H1-B visa.

She decided to choose First-Year Choice option for paying tax in 2006. She already paid tax in France.

Is that correct if she did not count her income in France in the tax forms? If it is not correct, how should she do to cancel the First-Year Choice option and to use the Non-Resident option?

Thanks,
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Oct 23, 2008, 12:49 PM

If you file resident tax return, they you must report your worldwide income. This does not mean that you will also pay tax in the U.S. on your foreign income. You will file Form 2555 (foreign earned income exclusion) and/or Form 1116 foreign tax credit.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

Oct 23, 2008, 01:16 PM
    She already sent tax forms in 2007 and received tax return. How should she do to correct the tax forms?

Thanks,

Oct 23, 2008, 06:47 PM

Also note that the correction is to send form 2555-EZ and to update the form 1040 a little bit. The Gross Income Adjusted is unchanged because the foreign income is exempted. But not sure how to update the form 1040.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 24, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Vmchieu:

You need to amend the return using Form 1040X and attaching the Form 2555 or 2555-EZ to the Form 1040X.

Contact me at the email address below if you need professional help doing this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First Year Choice. [ 1 Answers ]

Dear: I have one question about the first year choice, I read your post about all the issues and my doubt comes for my condition. I arrived to US in July 16th, 2007. I have not been in US before that date. I have been working with H1B status the rest of year. If I count the number of days of...

F1-OPT-H1B using first year choice [ 18 Answers ]

Great site for all of us.. thanks a lot My case:- Came to US in 2002 on F1, got my opt in feb 2005, and h1 in oct 2005, married and my wife ( was on F2, now on h4) doesn't work. Last year I filed 1040nr and 8843. I tried using 1040NR as my previous year but ended up getting very little...

Worldwide Income [ 1 Answers ]

I have just become a Permanent resident (got a green card) and would like to know 1. Since I got it in Dec. 07 (which is almost end of the year) do I qualify for filing worldwide income 2. I file taxes in India, how do I file worldwide income tax and how does it work ?

F1 status, worldwide income implications of H1B for spouse [ 9 Answers ]

I have a somewhat complex international tax situation. 1) F1 non-resident or resident? I was on an F1 visa from Aug 1999 - Jun 2003, and filed non-resident taxes. I then returned home to Singapore from early Jul 2003 to late Sep 2007. I am now back in the US on an F1 visa again for...

Worldwide income [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am filing taxes as a resident and have a question About declaring my worldwide income. I have income from India from bank account and bonds interest And dividends from mutual funds. However in India dividends are not Taxable and bank interest below INR 12,000 is not taxable. Also...

View more questions Search