Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akhil999in Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Why begin with the Alphabet ?
    Why begin with the Alphabet ?

Man must have developed the Alphabet (which is an abstract idea) long after he evolved
    spoken Language (which is a set of concrete objects).

He must have discovered words and grammar (both abstract notions used to analyze
    Complete Expressions) long after he discovered phrases and sentences.

Would it not be more Natural and healthy to teach complete expressions before we burden
    children with abstract ideas like Words, Grammar, and the Alphabet ? More so since at that
    age they are probably not ready to learn abstract ideas and analytical thinking ?

Is there any empirical evidence ?

Is it possible to test this hypothesis ?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 23, 2008, 09:23 AM
    I wasn't aware that we do start with the alphabet at all.
    We have been teaching our kids how to talk and what things are called before simple letters. Even numbers come before single letters.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2008, 06:11 PM

I agree with Curlyben... children are usually read to, or exposed to, stories and books from an early age, long before formal education. These books are often picture books with simple words and phrases that the children will hear repeatedly.
    Children will pick up on these simple words using the pictures as clues... as well as in everyday conversation. They will start to learn environmental "reading" as they frequent familiar shops and other locations.
    Phonemic awareness is just one component in learning to read and most often comes well after the child has already had much exposure to a wide assortment of words, phrases, and expressions.
    The education of reading has gone through many cycles, often repeating itself with just new buzz words and catch phrases... an emphasis on phonics, then whole language, etc..
    Currently it is probably at it's best simply because most educators realize one size does not fit all and children often do best when they have exposure to all of the components.
    Certainly it will depend on where someone lives and goes to school. Different educational systems in different countries will often have varied approaches.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spanish Alphabet [ 11 Answers ]

When I was a kid I learned the spanish alphabet without "k" and "w", as they were just letters borrowed from foreign words. And now I have heard conflicting info regarding the letters "ll" "ch" and "rr", are they still considered letters? Or are they considered 2 letters, similar to english, such...

Need alphabet drawing programe [ 3 Answers ]

My wife wonts do do some art work around the house and she would like to try something with the computer. She asked me the other day about is there any programme out there that has alphabet drawing that she can upload a picture and have it converted to an alphabet drawing. Can any body help me...

Geriatric Alphabet [ 3 Answers ]

The Geriatric Alphabet... A is for apple, and B is for boat, That used to be right, but now it won't float! Age before beauty is what we once said, But let's be a bit more realistic instead. A's for arthritis; B's the bad back,

An Alphabet For Living [ 1 Answers ]

An Alphabet For Living Associate with the wise who try to correct you Bitter is the fruit of evil Control your mind, cultivate good friendship Death takes the sensual unaware

View more questions Search