Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akhil999in Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2008, 08:25 AM
    Why does Fat in food have anything to do with Fat in the body ?
    Why does Fat in food have anything to do with Fat in the body ?

Fat in the Body ought to be the stored form of surplus calories in food.
    Surplus calories are dependent on total calories in food and total expenditure
    From Body. Total calories have no direct relation to Fat calories. Similarly
    Expenditure too has no direct relation to calories of Fat.

Does eating more Fat actually increase obesity ?
    Is it not the other way round, that more fat in food produces premature satiety
    And therefore reduces food intake ?

What is the reasoning about Causes and what are the observations ?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 23, 2008, 08:32 AM

I think the following website will actually answer your question better then anything. Its about good fat and bad fat and how each effects the body and our metabolism, and most importantly, the downside and health risk of consuming bad fat.

If this doesn't explain what you need, akh, then I apologize, but just the same, the website has some good advice.

Nutrition Advice by Registered Dietitians - HealthCastle.com
    boron Posts: 38, Reputation: 5

Oct 24, 2008, 08:09 AM
    Practically anything you eat and has callories, can be converted into fat in the body. Fats, proteins, carbohydrates, and alcohol can be all converted into fat.

It is easy to get "surplus calories", and it's not always the body that tells the man to stop eat.

Oct 24, 2008, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by boron View Post
    Practically anything you eat and has callories, can be converted into fat in the body. Fats, proteins, carbohydrates, and alcohol can be all converted into fat.

It is easy to get "surplus calories", and it's not always the body that tells the man to stop eat.
    All that seems to imply that there is no rational basis for asking people to avoid fats in food because
    It will make them fat, because Fat in Body is from Surplus Calories, and not directly the Fat in food.

Is it so? It is not very clear to me. I think the matter is still open.

There is a related question that is even more confusing:

We are told that certain foods are preferable because they have less cholesterol content, which
    Helps keep blood cholesterol down. I think that all food is first digested and taken into blood
    And liver. Later on the body synthesizes its own cholesterol depending upon the body's
    Internal factors.

What that means is that cholesterol in food doesn't matter as far as blood cholesterol levels
    Are concerned.

Is that so ?

Oct 24, 2008, 10:16 AM
    Someone who wants to lose weight should cut down some food, not only fatty food, but also fatty food.

Blood cholesterol comes from body synthesis and from food. It is true that cholesterol from food will be broken down in intestine, but it will be rebuild in cells from obtained building blocks.

The major factor which affects blood cholesterol levels are hereditary factors and fat (not only cholesterol) from food.

So, someone can control his/her cholesterol levels by avoiding fats, and by eating fats with non-saturated rather than saturated fatty acids.

This would need a short article to explain though.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 24, 2008, 03:54 PM

I only know one thing, which I have always known because of the work I do in the healthcare field.

You get complete blood work done to see where your cholesterol, sugar level and liver and kidney functions are and then you get appropriate medication to get you out of the stroke field. Most important. No one wants a stroke, minor or major and that is what high cholesterol, high blood sugar. Sediment in your kidneys will provide you with.

I have a good doctor who got me down to normal levels and took me out of the high risk area for which I am grateful. Women unfortunately ae more susceptible to heart and stroke ailments.

Why all the questions. Akhil, do you have a health problem in any area, or are you just curious ?

Oct 24, 2008, 07:45 PM

I am just curious for now.

However my wife is very obese and refuses to do anything to
    Reduce it. In fact she does everything as if she wanted to
    Put on even more weight. She has cultivated the same habits
    In our 11 years old daughter too.

One of her arguments is that it is purely genetic. Another is
    That the body needs energy, more of which comes from
    Fats than any other food.

Although I have always been strongly opposed to fats in food, I
    Realise now that I do not know any convincing reasons for it.

That is why I am trying to find out whether avoiding fats in food
    Has any effect on obesity, given total input calories the same.

Still not got any convincing, to - the - point answer.

Oct 25, 2008, 01:43 AM
    Fats have twice as high calorie content as carbohydrates. But again, you can't eat the same amount of fat and sugars. Anytime tried pure fat, like oil or high fat food like butter? How much of them you can eat at once? On the other hand, you can ingest quite some sweets (sugar) at once without difficulty.

You are right about avoiding fats. Food fats will more likely go into body fats and cholesterol. If you'll insist with this, I'll link you to some metabolism scheme, but it's pure biochemistry.

It's important to cut down food, or to work to burn excess calories. It may be pasta, even fruits(!), potatoes or meat, what makes you fat.

Obesity is a strong risk factors for developing atherosclerosis (and then stroke or heart attack), diabetes, and arthroses (joint degeneration, especially knees). Scarring an obese person with these probably won't help. Roughly, I believe, an obese person will start to diet from two reasons: a strong wish to achieve something in life (and obesity being an obstacle), or experience of a scarry health issue connected with obesity.
    RNDavid872 Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Nov 11, 2008, 08:08 PM
    Where carbs and protein each yield 4 calories per gram, and alcohol yields 7 calories per gram, fat yields 9 calories per gram. Excess calories are stored in the muscles and liver in the form of glycogen and in fat stores in the body to be used (burned) when your caloric intake is below what your body requires for weight maintenance. To summarize: because fat provides 9 calories per gram, it's easier to overindulge on calories from fat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Food invention (registration of a food product?) [ 12 Answers ]

I have thought up a good idea for a new food product and would like to offer it to a company, but to do that (I was informed by my dad) I need proof that this idea is mine so no one can steal it and such, registration of a food product? I need to know how to go on to this. A website perhaps? Please...

Food poisoning, or Food allergy? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello. Greetings first of all. Well, see, on Tuesday morning I felt fine, nothing seemed to be wrong. Went to work at a restaurant, 3 hours cause it's split shift. Came back home and was supposed to go back to work at 5pm. Right around that time I started to feel bloated, and had lots of gas. Then...

Dry food or wet food for puppy? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just got an 8 week old Daschund puppy and I'm not sure if I should give him wet food or dry food? Thank You. :confused:

New food/old food/keep it the same or change? [ 4 Answers ]

Our cat has been acting a little weird lately, over the past week we have noticed that he doesn't seem to be eating the same as he did. Over the last week he will get excited that its feeding time, then I put his bowl down for him and he will lick his meat until all the jelly? Is gone off the meat...

Food and the body [ 1 Answers ]

How does food get absorbed by the body?

View more questions Search