Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helgainaz Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2006, 07:59 AM
    Hampton bay ceiling fan-light works-fan doesn't
    I installed a new Hampton Bay ceiling fan outdoors and the light works from a wall switch but the fan doesn't work at all. There is a white, black, red and ground wire coming from the ceiling. There is a white, black, black/white stripe (light) and green ground coming from the fan.

I attached the white to white, black to black, red to black/white stripe and green to ground. The light works when the wall switch is flipped but the fan doesn't work from the wall switch or manually from the chain.

The wall switch is a double switch. One switch works the existing patio light and the other switch now works the light on the ceiling fan but not the fan itself. There is no remote for this fan.

Should be fairly simple. What have I done wrong? Any advide would be helpful.
    Thanks
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2006, 09:52 AM
    You've wired it, theoretically, correct. But the thing is, since there is not a separate switch for the fan, we don't know what the black wire connects to. It could be on a another circuit or simply not connected. OR it could be connected and there is something wrong with the fan-- a volt meter will discover this one.

Try this. To confirm the problem is not the fan, wire both the black and the striped wire from the fan to the ceiling's black wire. If the fan and/or light now works, the problem is with the fan. More than likely it will not.

So you can determine what the black wire is (supposed to be) connected to, or, just connect both the black and striped wire from the fan to the red wire, and have them both controlled by the switch.

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...fan-wiring.php

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...ng-and-FAQ.php

Jun 5, 2006, 10:05 AM
    Thanks so much. I'll give it a try.

Jun 5, 2006, 07:19 PM
    I connected the black and black/white stripe wires from the fan to the red wire and the fan and light now work off the wall switch. Thanks so much for the help.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2006, 11:16 PM
    Glad it worked!
    pcastaneda35 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2014, 10:50 AM
    I'm having the same problem n I tried connecting both fan n light to red n now neither works! M considering connecting black to the other three because apparently nothing works without it. Please help!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 2, 2014, 12:27 PM
    M considering connecting black to the other three because apparently nothing works without it.
    With electricity it is not a good idea to go connecting wires together just because nothing else works. That approach tends to have undesired consequences.

Described the wires coming from the ceiling, the wires in the switch box and the wires from the fan/light.

Note: a wire is a wire, a cable is two or more wires in an outer covering. Provide the number and type of cable, i.e two wire cable with black and white or three wire cable with black, white and red.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay ceiling fan light fixture stopped working but fan still works why? [ 14 Answers ]

New light put in my Hampton Bay ceiling fan, but then after a few days, no light bulbs work but fan runs fine, why is this happening?:confused:

Hampton Bay Remote Ceiling Fan - light works - no fan [ 2 Answers ]

After about 4 months of use, this began to happen. I would try to turn on the fan (either Low Med or High) and the fan would barely turn. Sometimes it would work - this lasted for about 5 days. Since then, if you try to turn on the fan, you get no response. Now, the light will still turn on...

Hampton bay fan remote works the speed not light [ 3 Answers ]

I installed this fan OK... it was fine for 2.5 years now the remote only works the fan speed. It does not work the lights. I removed the fan and checked connections which are good.Luckily the fans lights are in the on position and POWER is through a wall switch,that controls the lights. But I wish...

Ceiling fan works properly only when light is on [ 3 Answers ]

I just installed a ceiling fan, and though the fan works great when the light is turned on, when the light is turned off, all power seems to be drained from the fan. I've tried to rewire, but no luck. And when the light and fan are on together, any small imbalance in the "fan" disappears. Does...

Hampton bay 7 light Track system... Nothing Works [ 3 Answers ]

Okay I installed a track light about a year ago and it has worked for that time. A few weeks ago everything failed on it. None of the lights work. I took it apart and tested the main power coming into the light, from the breaker, it tested out okay. Insdide the fixture is a transformer and...

View more questions Search