Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lpj99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2008, 07:30 PM
    Pouring a cement slab
    I just removed my rotten floor in my home I just purchased. It's an 80yr old home which I plan to resale. I added plumbing fixtures in one room which is now the bathroom and as well in another room for a future kitchen. Here is the dilema, I have about 8" to get to where i want to be in height. I want to pour cement. I had 2 people tell me 2 different things. I was told by both that I need 3/4" rock. One guy said I should put polyurethane (for insulation)then mesh then pour cement(25kpa). The other told me I don't need to spend the money on polyurethane and I don't need mesh. I'm better off adding fiber to my cement instead of the mesh and since it is minimum 4" thick I'm OK. He also said that 20kpa is all I need because it is not a garage and that 15kpa is the minimum anyway.What do you think I should do.
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Oct 22, 2008, 08:30 PM
    Sounds like you want to do a good job, but don't want to spend a lot on a house you will sell.

I think if you are in a wet area, use plastic. it will keep the slab dry later. If the area is dry you really don't need the plastic.

I would use mesh, it will hold the slab together if it cracks, but the minimum mix is OK, doesn't sound like there is a lot of stress on the slab.

Good luck roger

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cement slab [ 1 Answers ]

I have a cement slab that is rough and uneven. How can I put brick over it to make a patio?

Pouring new Concrete slab over OLD basement slab [ 2 Answers ]

I have a house placed on its exsisting foundation and basement concrete floor in 1934. The floor is solid, uncracked, and level but has several areas that are very uneven. To the point, the basement is unusable for living space. Is it possible, and reasonable, to pour a new slab over the...

Pouring interior concrete slab over existing, cracked concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am turning part of my carport into a new living room. I am going to pour a concrete slab about 4 inches thick over the existing carport floor which is a concrete slab. The existing slab has a few cracks, the largest of which is about an 1/8in. Wide and raised about an 1/8in. What would be the...

Pouring Concrete Slab over Electrical [ 4 Answers ]

We are going to pour a concrete slab in a shop that currently has no floor. My husband wants to lay the electric in/under the slab instead on going overhead. Can we do this? If so, what's the best process?

Pouring concrete slab outside garage [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I am replacing my garage door with a wall and 36" wide steel door to make it a main entrance to the house in the winter and also into a workshop area. It has been recommended that I pour a concrete slab across the front of the garage for the wall to sit on and have that slab just high...

View more questions Search