Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vivia12 Posts: 143, Reputation: 15

Oct 22, 2008, 05:44 PM
    Has anyone seen La Grande illusion and 4oo Blows?
    Hello,
    They are all French films,I believe 400 blows mean quatre cent cours,
    I just want to know what's anyone's perception of Jean Renoir's Film
    Le Grande Illusion and Francois Truffaut 400 Blows
    I am taking a French Film class, and I would like someone's opinions of these films
    I will add on more French films made around 1930's to 50's

Opinions,insight on those movies would help
    Thanks
    lenrely Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Oct 23, 2008, 09:06 PM

Here is my take on Le Grand Illusion. It makes clear how WWI ended the class system between the old aristocracy and the masses. When the French officer and his pilot are captured, he is treated better than the pilot and never truly sees him as an equal, until he befriends the German commandant and uses his influence to free the other prisoners. There is also a moment of anti-semitism when the pilot escapes with the jew, but this is only added so he can overcome it as they become friends. This film broke a lot of convention by showing not all prisoners were treated equal in the concentration camps, and the fact that the pilot falls in love with a german single mom in the countryside and settles down, even though he doesn't speak a word of german. Hope this helps.
    vivia12 Posts: 143, Reputation: 15

Oct 24, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Thanks Lenrely for your insight on this, your name sound french : )
    It helps a lot to hear others opinion
    Its funny in :e Grande Illlusion how French Lt. Marachel was quite suspicious of the aristocratic officer Capt. De Boedlieu would hinder their escape but in fact. Capt. De Boedlieu was the one who has helped them escape by proviint a distraction.
    Would you call it a sort of anti WWI movie? The prisoners at the german Barracks were treated humanely
    And the German Capt. Wasn't some sort of mpnster,even thoughhe looked stiff and rigid like one

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cool Illusion! [ 10 Answers ]

I'd forgotten about this one. It's not new; some of you have seen this before... if you haven't seen it, you're in for a treat! http://www.johnsadowski.com/big_spanish_castle.php

Illusion and architecture [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a 4th yr student of architecture and I have to do a research on the topic - illusion and architecture :rolleyes:... illusion has always been used in architecture in some form or the other... from exteriors to interiors... the parthenon is the best example of illusionin architecture... if anyone...

I fell in love with an ILLUSION [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: Im Chelsea and I need someone's help.. ANYTHING! My ex-boyfriend told me he loved me and we got into so many fights that would always make me break down crying. He told me that he went to the movies with this girl and she made out with him in the theater but she didn't know that he had...

A/C blows hot air [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two year old Bryant package unit 582ANW0420. Nothing but trouble with the unit. This was installed by warranty company and they say only warranty remaining is if problem is compressor or fan. Last year the house (which is in the hot San Fernando Valley and 1300 sq ft) would hold...

View more questions Search