Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hissy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2006, 07:25 PM
    Help! My daschund refused to shower and refused to be carried.
    Help! Help!I am having 2 major problems with my male long hair red daschund:-
    1. He refuses to shower - every time he hears and sees me preparing his shower stuff, he will run and hide. I try coaxing him wz treats but that didn't help. He will growl and snap at whoever goes near him.

2, My daschund refuses to be carried... he will growl and growl and snapped at whoever who wants to carry him.

Really got no idea what's wrong with him? These behaviours just started to emerge about 3 weeks ago and it is not getting any better. Sigh... sigh...

Help! Help!
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 5, 2006, 05:18 AM
    This sounds like sudden and peculiar behavior for him. Please have a vet examine him ASAP - it could be something serious.

Only if its ruled out as physical, then its behavioral and needs training and I would suggest the following:

It sounds to me like he has become "alpha dog" (is now in charge) and you need to turn that around. To re-establish yourself as "alpha dog", I would try the following: when he is laying on the floor, try getting down there with him to play. If he tolerates the playing well, try rolling him over on his back. Watch yourself as he may resist. If you manage to roll him, hold him there as you speak soothing words about how you are in charge. Watch yourself, especially your face, as he may mount sudden resistance. At the first sign of him really relaxing, praise him, release him and offer a treat.

Do that often and then work into picking him up and holding him while you sit on the floor. If that works, then work up to standing and carrying him. All same porocess, with praise and treats while you make it clear you are in charge.

As for the bath, I would try using the sink instead, and don't let him see you making the arrangements first! Make the sink version a happy one - I liked singing to my dog whilst she was bathed as she was pretty apprehensive at first. Now she loves it. Always provide a treat afterwards, always! Again if the sink works, try the shower later but fool him into it a bit and make it happy.

As "alpha dog", you can coax your dog into many things but the trick is little steps and lots of reward for the good behaviors. I hope that helps.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2006, 05:55 AM
    Hi,
    I agree with your previous answer; very good.
    Your dog is getting aggressive; meaning something might be wrong in his chemistry body makeup, or could be something else.
    I agree with taking him to a Vet, since this is something that just started; a sign that something could be wrong.
    I highly recommend a video by Ceaser Millan, a Professional Dog Behaviorist. He rehabilitates dogs, and trains people.

He has his own TV program, the Dog Whisperer, on the NGEO (National Geographic) channel, on Friday nights mainly, but also comes on some other days. This video is available from:
    http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/
    I also ordered his new book, "Ceaser's Way", from Walmart online, around $15 US, and it's very good!

There are other good videos available on the web, but this one is really worth your attention.

If the Vet finds nothing wrong, then he is becoming aggressive; thinks he is the boss. You have to put a stop to that, by training him. You are the boss, not him. He will be much, much happier know you are boss, cause then he won't have to act differently.
    Do you take him for a brisk 45 min walk everyday? This releases tension, energy, and will tire him out somewhat. If you will exercise him, tire him out before trying to give him a bath, it will help! A tired dog will not put up the same kind of "fight", simply because they don't have the energy.
    Another good TV program is on Animal Planet, called Good Dog U.
    Best wishes, and have a great week.
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jun 5, 2006, 06:17 AM
    Doxies are prone to back problems. It is possible that he is having medical issues and may be in some pain( Possible not definite) the best way to rule this out is a vet visit like the others have stated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog refused to eat anything but chicken. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, My samoyed of 7 years, had glaucoma 3 weeks ago and had his left eye removed, a few days before the op to keep his strength up we gave him a whole chicken a day, and also a few days after the op, he now refuses his own meat although we have tried to ween him off the chicken, by mixing...

I'm 12 getting a Daschund, hopefully... [ 7 Answers ]

I'm 12 (almost 13) and my Nickname (I will NOT tell my real name, first or last) is Kanari. I'm allowed to get a puppy for my birthday (Apr.2) but it has to be a golden retriever. We have a golden retriever already, and they are cute and beautiful and stuff (And we've had another golden retriever...

Being refused to pay restitution [ 3 Answers ]

I wrote bad checks to a place also have been accused of several thousand of dollars being stoled what is the law on restitution if they refuse to take restitution a gave me a signed latter stating such can they press charges.

Daschund Ill [ 2 Answers ]

My daschund is turning four this Dec. 15, and she's having problems that aren't becoming of her personality. Meaning, she used to be active, and very energetic, but nowadays she's very lethargic, and has a habit of "sitting" everywhere. I hope it isn't her back, but I can't find a lot of...

New Daschund [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, We just got a new little mini daschund, a male. WE have had him about 10 days and he just turned 8 weeks. We are doing OK with the pottie training but are having difficulty with the crate. Our breeder suggested paper and out side training and we were doing both.. Taking him out...

View more questions Search