Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IM4U Posts: 156, Reputation: 16

Oct 22, 2008, 02:11 PM
    Does running a vehicle actually replace energy into a "down" battery?
    Hi,

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 pickup that I have unfortunately allowed to "set up" for a while. The battery is down, but it responds to a slow charge and builds up enough for cranking. However, it then apparently drains down again. I am still not using the truck.

I have not run the truck after a slow charge for any significant length of time to see if the battery will "re-charge." In the past I have thought that the way to build a battery up again is to run the vehicle.

Someone at our local "Mr. Battery" store tells me differently. He says a down battery will not charge again just from running the vehicle.

What is your take on this?

Thanks.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2008, 03:58 PM

Car batteries are designed for high current and thus the lead plates are very close together. When you deep discharge these batteries for a long time, the plates short. The battery has a self discharge and there are systems that are always draining the battery in a modern car.

Take the battery out and place on a trickle charger. What your currently doing may destroy the battery.

The alternator will charge providing your above the voltage that makes the regulator work. I guess this would be about 8 V, but no confirmation.

MArine batteries are designed for deep discharge, but don't have high cold cranking amps.
    PalmettoFinesse Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Dec 3, 2008, 06:13 PM

Keepitsimple is right, you should use a trickle charger, but at the same time keeping the vehicle running does charge your battery. The battery won't charge completely but if you crank it and keep it running for a good while then it will be strong enough to crank up again and it will also charge while your driving, so you can charge it one good time to be able to drive it around

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Purchased vxss6spd for $25000 THEN a repairer discovered vehicle was a "Cut n Shut" [ 2 Answers ]

Im trying to find out if the car yard I purchased my 6 speed VVSS from is legally obligated to compensate me, after I discovered the vehicle had previously been involved in a serious collision, and that in actual fact the vehicle was the result of what they call a "cut & shut" the car has major...

Replace 1.5" galvanized steel (male threads) to 4" cast iron stack [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace a drain line from an old double cast iron kitchen sink. The existing pipe is 1.5" galvanized steel which threads directly into female threads on a 4" cast iron stack. The male threads of the galvanized pipe broke off in the cast iron. I'm guessing the easiest solution is to...

Enthalpy change, first ionization energy, determine "n", boiling point, vapour press. [ 0 Answers ]

Hey guys, I have about 8-9 questions, so I'm going to cut it down to about 4 per post. I'd appreciate any help that I can get, I have these sample problems, but no answers or workings, and my exam is tomorrow. 1. When 5.00 mL of a 0.60 M solution of a tribasic acid H3A(aq), is reacted with 45.00...

How to take "energy balance in diff frame of references" [ 4 Answers ]

Imagine there are only three bodies in the universe 1> A gun 2> A bullet already fired 3> A wooden block which is target of the bullet and is stationary wrt gun before impact with the gun All the three observers associated(stationary) with three bodies will see impact then they should have...

View more questions Search