Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2006, 12:19 PM
    I think too that it's hard to compare the US to Canada... Canada in general doesn't have the same level of threat of gun crime that many part of the US have. So where you may need to carry a gun or have guns in your home in order to feel safe in many parts of the US, that's quite uncommon here. So it's like comparing apples and oranges. I've never even handled a gun (I don't hunt) and I hope my children never have to handle one for non-recreational purposes, either.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2006, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Well of course I am a retired law enforcement officer, with hours of weapon training, but I go the other way, I think if almost everyone carried one, there would be alot less crime
    Again, I disagree.

If everyone carried one, then the chance the gun would be used would increase since it would be much easier to use it.

You get drunk, you pull out your gun and boom, shoot someone.

Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Relinquish my personal owned firearms? NO, that is a right as an American Citizen, with which I have been for over half a century.
    I think that is the difference b/w Canadians and Americans. Americans seem to cherish every “right” like its gold. Owning a firearm can be dangerous, sometimes having a dangerous item is not such a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    To be honest guys if I lived somewhere where I absolutely felt like I needed a gun to defend myself, my family or my property I would probably move.
    I wish I hadn't just commented on your other post because I sure wish to comment on this one.

I agree with this.

If I was living in an area that unsafe, then I probably would leave that area, not make it worse by adding yet another gun to the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by phillysteakandcheese
    I am frightened by the "armed population" of the USA. American tourists show up here from time to time, and come "armed" ... I shudder to think what life would be like in a place where so many people walking the streets are armed!

Contrast to where I live - Western Canada - where many people own guns, you won't find too many people walking the street with them. So no need to be afraid of being shot at...

I believe in the right to have a gun, but I don't think it should be something you carry around with you all the time. American culture seems to dictate otherwise, which is what I think leads to so many problems with guns in the USA.

And yes - Gun control (in Canada) is a joke. It does nothing but force the law-abiding citizen to turn in or register their hunting rifles while leaving criminals able to buy all kinds of weapons illegally.
    I agree.

Owning a gun at home is one thing, but carrying it around on the street is an entirely different subject.

Re: Your Gun Control Comments.

Even the left wing party NDP and Jack Layton said in the last election campaign that criminal sentences for gun crimes need to be strengthened.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2006, 03:11 PM
    Guns? In my opinion, the right to bear arms is fundumental and cost many of live to obtain these rights. Your forefather saw tha there was a problem that when government usurps people rights, those people must have a way to defend themselves.

Government today would like to remove the guns from average people hand so that there can be no resistance to them.

Down under, since guns were outlawed, crime increase over 400%.

As Mr. Bush stated the Constitution is only a piece of paper.

IN CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776
    The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

If our forefather did not have any weapons to defend themselves we would still be a colony under England today.

One other thought, it is people who kill people and a gun is only a tool they use, most people have values, and will only use a weapon to defend themselves, I for one.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 5, 2006, 08:51 PM
    You would have a hard time getting Americans to give up there guns. For the most part law abiding citizens are very responsible, but unfortunately criminals and gang bangers can get a gun anytime they want and that's who you worry about. Evenso Americans will always keep their guns and wo to the ones who say different!
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Jun 5, 2006, 09:08 PM
    I believe that we should keep them with us at all times.
    I don't go anywhere with out them.
    My feelings about it are it is my god given right to keep them and they are going to pay hell taking them away from me.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2006, 09:10 PM
    Where in the Bible or whatever religion you believe in does it say that God allows you to carry a gun with you?

So, how can it be your God given right? Aren't all rights given by the state, and not by God?

Jun 5, 2006, 09:11 PM
    If you take guns away from law abiding citizens only the criminals will have them.
    Then what do we have no way to protect ourselves from the people who would take mine away from me.

Jun 5, 2006, 09:14 PM
    Where in the bible does it say we are not allowed to protect myself.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2006, 09:58 PM
    I'm personally not telling anyone to give up their guns. I'm all for people protecting themselves. And I'm not against using guns for recreational purposes like hunting. But like I said before, Canada and the US are different countries with different circumstances. I don't even think we have "the right to bear arms" in our constitution here, or at least I've never heard of it. When you don't grow up around guns, you don't really see a need for them. I'm just glad I don't have to carry a weapon around with me to feel safe. I agree with what NeedKarma said earlier... if I lived in an area where I had to carry a gun for protection, I'd probably move, too.

Bottom line, I think different countries just have different experiences regarding guns. And that doesn't make one way right and the other wrong. You do what you have to, depending on where you live.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2006, 08:55 AM
    So there I was, with my sawed off shotgun and my 9. I would have won if it had not been for that darn bunker buster bomb, the f-18s and those tanks... well, so much for protecting myself from a tyrannical government! They outlawed anything that comes close to what they have. I guess that tells us a lot about the odds. Just ask that lady at Ruby Ridge, Idaho and her dead children as well, when you cross over.

Your pea shooters and BB guns are not a threat to anyone except to the person standing in front of you when you think it's unloaded! Guns only scare the citizens that don't know how to use one and are much too refined and civilized to learn.

As far as executing capitol crimes... does no good what so ever. Just scares the hell out of sane people. Even sane people commit crimes of passion.

I agree with Demonspeeding 2005. Where I grew up, I believe it was against the law to not have a gun!
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Jun 6, 2006, 09:29 AM
    Magprob brings up a good point...

If a "tyrannical government" came to power in the USA to a point where armed citizens were fighting with soldiers in the streets, do you really believe US soldiers would engage their own citizens in combat?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2006, 09:35 AM
    I don't believe that US soldiers would engage US citizens, I do believe if neocons get their way for the New World Order it would not be US soldiers, they would try to bring off shore troop, which would only create a total all out war.
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2006, 11:12 AM
    There already are foreign troops on U.S. soil. The government knows that U.S. troops would turn over if ordered to shoot Americans in the street. Remember all of those bases they shut down a while back? They are still top secret and no tresspassing. What could those bases really be for? Hummmm!:confused:

But, some troops would shoot their own if ordered to. Some folks just can't survive without being told exactly what to do. Such a shame.
    Jonegy Posts: 166, Reputation: 37

Jun 6, 2006, 07:14 PM
    Where they foreign troops I saw firing on students during the demonstrations in the 60's?? Didn't look it to me;)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 6, 2006, 08:04 PM
    Kent state will be repeated unless we have learned our lesson!
    Marj Ann Posts: 17, Reputation: 7

Jun 6, 2006, 09:52 PM
    Remember Katrina? Remember seeing armed military kicking in doors on relatively undamaged homes & literally dragging homeowners out, confiscating any weapons they owned? Can anyone tell me "What the HECK for"! That WAS AFTER a hurricane & those were families that had weathered the WORST! They were the fortunate ones; NOT flooded out, asking for HELP or homeless, right? Then what about Article 1V: "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers & effects AGAINSTUNREASONABLE SEARCHES & SEIZURES SHALL NOT BE VIOLATED". Sad to say All of America just watched it happen on TV & to my knowledge, none QUESTIONED, objected or said ANYTHING! ~ Kinda' reminds me of a couple of other similar instances most heard about or watched on TV. In New Orleans, these were ordinary, peaceful Americans just weathering a STORM for pete's Sakes!It was never suggested any of those people had been accused of or were violating ANYTHING. Still, I saw them treated as roughly as hardened criminals and saw their lawful weapons being confiscated. DISARMED [by those who WERE, of course] From what I heard and saw, there was PLENTY for police & military to DO without kicking in the doors of people that had and were continuing to MANAGE on their own, peacefully in their OWN homes. Hummm I'd hate to suspect that part was a DRESS REHEARSAL; for what ALL of 'We The People'; FREE Americans can 'expect' during the NEXT 'emergency'?? Bird Flu? Another 'terror alert'? Does anyone realize that at any SECOND the President can announce & declare MARTIAL LAW? Sad to say, the Constitution AND Bill of Rights are being shredded as we're discussing the matter. Have we been sold out? That would be MY opinion. Scary, isn't it.
    Lungie Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Jun 6, 2006, 11:29 PM
    I agree with Phillysteakandchees, I'm frightened with the Armed population of America it seams like everyone wants one in their home JUST IN CASE someone else comes into your home with one. I guess it just sound strange to me as its just not like that in Australia. If someone came into my home I would be terrified but it does not consume my thoughts enough to have a lethal weapon in my home at all times JUST IN CASE. I agree that there are several objects that crimes are committed with like knives and needles but almost everything could be a lethal weapon. NeedKarma I agree with you totally if I HAD to have a gun to protect myself at all times, or frightened I'd have to protect myself with a gun.. I'd move!
    Lungie Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Jun 6, 2006, 11:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    But, my question Lungie is

Don't only criminals carry guns in your part of the world?

People here really do not carry knives, except maybe a pocket knife used to open things. Criminals here carry guns, and we have to be prepared to defend ourselves if necessary.
    Yes criminals carry guns but I don't see the need to carry "in case" they target me, I hate the thought of millions of people carrying guns, it just seams so unsafe. Also our guns don't appear to be as accessible as in the USA, although if you really, really want one you can and if someone wants to kill you they will not wait until you draw your gun and have a shoot out. I don't believe that Australians have the opinion that we need to protect out selves at all times.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Jun 7, 2006, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    There already are foriegn troops on U.S. soil ... Remember all of those bases they shut down a while back? They are still top secret and no tresspassing. What could those bases really be for? Hummmm!:confused:
    Do you honestly believe that formerly closed military bases house a secret "invasion force" that is just waiting to emerge and take over the United States? Do you think the country with the largest military force in the world is somehow preparing or keeping its enemies fed, clothed, sheltered, and supplied right in their own back yard so that some mysterious day it can be unleashed for a fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Marj Ann
    Remember Katrina? Remember seeing armed military kicking in doors on relatively undamaged homes & literally dragging homeowners out, confiscating any weapons they owned?
    It makes complete sense in context of the event. Everyone is armed. There's no food, no water, no power, no law and order... basically, everything you need for a complete breakdown of civility. Without that authority exerting control, it would have continued to dwindle down into an "every man for himself" fight with citizens killing each other for a can of soup...

Gaining control over a paniced public is required to maintain public safety. No one likes that, but it's necessary. Single individuals can be rational, but a mob mentality is dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Marj Ann
    Does anyone realize that at any SECOND the President can announce & declare MARTIAL LAW?
    And this is nothing new - When was the last time the entire USA was placed under martial law? Even on 9/11 there was no martial law imposed for the "public safety". This is a scare tactic you use to profess why your "gun love" is so important.

It's this kind of conspiracy theory that scares me... All these irrational fears, people runing around with guns, any attempt to bring order from chaos seen as "government oppression" ... where does it end?
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2006, 09:00 AM
    Lungie, if you take the passive stance and just let an armed person control you, if it ever happens, then that is your choice. I, on the other hand, wish to be on an even playing field. I believe in killing before being killed if there is even just 1/2 a chance of survival. With that, you must be aware of your surroundings and prepared to do what is needed. Most people are not. Criminals know that, therefore, you present easy pray.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to slimmer my arms [ 2 Answers ]

My arms are getting fat and loose. Anything I can do to make them slimmer but I don't want to widen my shoulder.

The Atheist and the Bear [ 3 Answers ]

=: The Atheist and the Bear := An atheist was walking through the woods. "What majestic trees! What powerful rivers! What beautiful animals!" he said to himself. As he was walking alongside the river, he heard a rustling in the bushes behind him. He turned and saw a 7-foot grizzly ...

Numbness in arms [ 1 Answers ]

::)What could cause my arms to suddenly go numb and feel so heavy.I can't lift them when this happens. They feel like dead weight. It comes on suddenly,just out of nowhere.It will last for about five or so minutes,then they just feel funny for a little while after.Thank you for any help you can...

Bumps on arms [ 3 Answers ]

I started shaving my arms a week ago but I have noticed a lot of red bumps along my arms what is this and is there nehting I can do about it

View more questions Search