Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cadilacgirl01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Forcing my ex to resign his rights.

My ex has nothing to do with my girls. He doesn't call, write, or see them. They both saw him 1 time in 2007, and not once in 2008. He lives in the same city as we do. I am getting married on November 22, 2008. My oldest is 19, but my youngest is 13 and desperately wants to be adopted by my future husband. My ex pays child support when he has a job, only because in Oklahoma, you have to as they garnish wages. He is thousands of dollars behind and has no insurance on the youngest as required by the decree.. What are my options? Can I force him to surrender his rights? He basically has abandoned the girls. Can my youngest request the court to allow his rights revoked?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Oct 22, 2008, 11:38 AM

You can't FORCE anyone to relinquish rights.

You need a lawyer for this, badly.

Your best bet is to start pressing for back child support, and agreeing to drop it if he relinquishes his rights, but you will need a lawyer to do this.
    div2wice Posts: 103, Reputation: 1
    -

Oct 24, 2008, 01:43 PM
    No you cannot do anything to make him relinquish his rights, I wish you could... I had the same question about my ex.

I agree, you do need a lawyer. Especially if he is not following the divorce or child support/custody agreement. The lawyer will let the court know about him "not following the rules".

The only way I could get my ex to relinquish his rights was to point out the fact that he would not longer be required to pay child support. After a day of him thinking about that, he contacted my lawyer and agreed to sign over his rights. (You do know once he signs over his parental rights you will NO longer get child support from him). It worked well for me... hit them on the pocket, they're usually quick to compromise!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I resign or be terminated? [ 19 Answers ]

I have been a county employee for 4+ years. About a year ago I took a promotional position in another agency which has a one year probationary period. I received my nine month evaluation on 4/30/08 and was told that I needed to make improvements by 5/30/08 and if I did not the agency would...

How Do I Resign [ 7 Answers ]

I have been working in a bank for almost a year. It has been by far the worst experience of my life, I have encountered racism, victimisation, harsh and unfair criticism and double standards apply to me and not my colleagues. It is apparent to everyone apart from management! I was put on a...

Asked to resign lease 5 months early? [ 9 Answers ]

Recently I got a letter informing me I must re-qualify and re-sign my lease but my first lease is not due to be re-signed until 5 months from now is this a legal move their pulling on me? Or are they trying to up my rent to get more money from me?

Forcing someone to give up their parental rights [ 14 Answers ]

I have a 3 1/2 yr. old little boy. His father has done the bare minimum to be in his life. We haven't gone through court to get a set child support because I haven't been wanting to take it there. I have been taking care of my son on my own for almost 2 yrs. Now with no to little financial help...

Forcing for too much sex [ 2 Answers ]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

View more questions Search