Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaegun Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2008, 10:46 AM
    Landlord may sue for breach of lease, evnethough he asked us to move.
    Hello,

Thanks in advance for any answers or suggestions.

My husband and I are dealing with a situation with a former landlord. The landlord told us he wanted us to move out two months before our lease was up. It actually worked in our best interest to do so. We found a new house and told the landlord, who then informed us that he had changed his mind and didn't want us to move out early.

After several conversations with him, he finally told us (on a Wednesday) that we had to be out by the upcoming Sunday. So, we were. About a week after we moved out we received a letter from him stating that we had abandoned the property.

My husband and I feel that he is setting up a lawsuit. Including charging us for utilities since we have moved out and a $50/day late fee. Any ideas on what we should do? We thought that we were doing what the landlord wanted us to do... move out! And did I mention that the landlord was my husbands best friend! I know we should have demanded a letter from him stating he wanted us to move out, but with the friendship we just didn't even think about it.

I'm mostly wondering if the verbal agreement on the phone for us to move out is sufficient enough to hold up if we are sued.

Thanks,

Katie
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Hello Katie:

I don't know. If HE has a written signed lease, and all you have is his word, he's got an advantage over you.

However, lots of small claims court judges look to what the actions were of the participants, rather than what was written. If you're sued, just tell the judge what you told us. He'll believe you, or he won't.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Has landlord breach lease agreement? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently signed a two year lease with the owners of a cooperative apartment bldg. the lease was signed by the president of the board for the cooperative at the time. Verbal consent was given to me by the president of the board who signed the lease to bring some of my furniture two days before the...

Is the Landlord Breaking the Lease.CAN I MOVE? [ 12 Answers ]

I have spent two months at a new apartment complex. I have a 12 month lease and the landlord pays for water, trash, and sewer. My problem is that ever since I have moved here the landlord has turned off our water a total of 8 times for the duration of 3-6 hours. Once we were without water for 2...

Landlord breach Of lease Agreement. My rights? [ 3 Answers ]

I moved in on Jan14th and in the 6mos lease a agreement we signed the landlord agreed to have the back yard put in within 90 days time. This a brand new house so the front yard is in but not the backyard yet. I just renewed another 6 os lease as of July 14 08 and with the same terms and conditions...

Landlord Breach of Lease [ 2 Answers ]

I live in NYS and signed a lease on 2/29/08 to rent an apartment on 4/18. The landlord called me on 4/1 to tell me that the apartment that I rented was not available anymore and they will not have another apartment available until 5/15 (4 full weeks after I was originally supposed to move). Under...

Landlord rights in breach of lease [ 6 Answers ]

Under Georgia law, may a landlord charge a tenant that breaches the lease agreement Within the first three months of the agreement, the full year's rental price or the offset Amount of whenever a new tenant is procured?

View more questions Search