Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    regis47 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2008, 02:14 AM
    Felon with a HazMat wants to drive OTR
    Here we go again, I am a felon convicted in 11/2001 of statutory sex crime. There was no violence involved and no pictures. I served two years inside and three on probation. Completed all the required classes and therapy. I take responsibility for all that I did.
    Since I was released I have driven a Straight Truck some 33 months, have a Class B with an X endorsement. For those who don't know an X endorsement is Tanker/HazMat/ Air Brakes. Yes that is correct.. I have a HazMat issued 6/2007. Read the rules and you will see that not all felonies keep a person from getting a HazMat. It's the word felon that keeps me out of a job.
    Does anyone know where I can get an OTR or even Local Class A CDL job?

God Bless us everyone?

The Job I had for 33 months was driving for a DHL Express Contractor. DHL restructured and got out of the large freight business. This took some of the delivery route my contractor had. DHL gave them to another contractor. My contractor let me go because a Full Time Straight Truck driver was not needed anymore. I can't find a delivery job with so many people in the labor pool to choose from. I get put back because I am a felon.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2008, 03:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by regis47 View Post
    Here we go again, I am a felon convicted in 11/2001 of statutory sex crime. There was no violence involved and no pictures. I served two years inside and three on probation. Completed all the required classes and therapy. I take responsibility for all that I did.
    Since I was released I have driven a Straight Truck some 33 months, have a Class B with an X endorsement. For those who don't know an X endorsement is Tanker/HazMat/ Air Brakes. Yes that is correct..I have a HazMat issued 6/2007. Read the rules and you will see that not all felonies keep a person from getting a HazMat. It's the word felon that keeps me out of a job.

God Bless us everyone?
    Hi, regis47!

So, what happened with the job that you did have for 33 months, please? It would be helpful for those that do come along to respond to your question to know that.

Thanks!
    sept162002 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 28, 2009, 09:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by regis47 View Post
    Since I was released I have driven a Straight Truck some 33 months, have a Class B with an X endorsement. For those who don't know an X endorsement is Tanker/HazMat/ Air Brakes. Yes that is correct..I have a HazMat issued 6/2007. Read the rules and you will see that not all felonies keep a person from getting a HazMat. It's the word felon that keeps me out of a job.

God Bless us everyone?

The Job I had for 33 months was driving for a DHL Express Contractor. DHL restructured and got out of the large freight business. This took some of the delivery route my contractor had. DHL gave them to another contractor. My contractor let me go because a Full Time Straight Truck driver was not needed anymore. I can't find a delivery job with so many people in the labor pool to choose from. I get put back because I am a felon.
    Hey regis47 you have accomplished already what many felons have failed to do and that's obtain a Hazmat endorsement. Congrats, please inform me how you did this, it would be helpful in my case. [email protected]
    turbomustang Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2009, 06:40 AM

From what I have found is that is't pretty much up to the companiy and what they want to do. Some say they hire felons, but it has to be between 5 and 10 years old, and even then it depends on the crime. Since yours was a statutory sex crime, they may not want to touch you. Criminal records kind of screw you real good if you have a CDL. I have a class a and a misdemeanor stemming from a bar fight and I'm having trouble. All I can say is Google 'companies that hire with felony records' and you'll find a bunch of 'head hunter' websites that will send your application to a bunch of companies at once. Some will even put their criminal requirements, accident, and moving violation requirements right there on the table before you even apply. The other thing is, see if you can get your record expunged if this is your first and only offense I don't think you'd have a problem, but you'd have to check the requirements in your state. Best of luck, this isn't really the best time to be looking for a job in many fields, but if you do happen to find one keep it at least 3 years no matter how bad you hate the place. Job stability say's a lot too. Peace.
    Gunter99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2011, 09:48 AM
    Have you tried local water hauling for the gas and oil industry? You may have to start at nights,but it gets you on the payroll. I to had a felony but I applied and received a pardon for my crime. Have you looked into that as well?

Fellow Driver

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Win 2003: Permanent drive letter 4 removable drive [ 2 Answers ]

I have set up a backup system on Windows 2003 Server using 2 hot-swap removable drive drawers with hard drives in them. I have a pair of backup drives for each day of the week, with one drive imaging the OS partition and the other drive imaging the data partition. The system is working beautifully...

A convicted felon marrying another felon [ 2 Answers ]

I am a felon and my fiance' has just been picked up by the feds and we were going to get married in 2 weeks. I am wondering if I can still marry him in the federal jail. I know that the government shuns felons around other felons but, we have 3 kids together and I would think that they would allow...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Felon with HazMat wants Trucking Job [ 4 Answers ]

I have a felony that is six years old and I want to get into OTR Trucking. The idea that I can't because of not being able to get a HazMat does not apply. I received my HazMat in June of this year and have a class b cdl. Any good ideas wherer I can go to actually get an OTR Trucking job?

View more questions Search