Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bdesire Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2008, 08:35 PM
    Divorce with conditional green card
    HI

I am married its been almost 2 years and its been 1 yrs and 2 months I am in USA. I have conditional green card of 2 years. Currently living with wife, but its been 1 month we don't have good relationship, She treats me very bad. Even I explain her, try to convince her about any issue, or ask her to discuss the matter she always reject. So I don't what is in her mind.she is like that she don't want me to keep relation with anyone except her and I was rejcting her desire but now she is not accepting my as her husband and I am so tired of her, I want to leave her.

My question is What if I get separate from her. Still I can get 10 yrs of green card.
    Or Most likely I will file the divorce, Can I still get 10 yrs of divorce or I have to go back to my origin country.?

We have joint account in two different bank. That's the only proof I have.

Can I still eligible for green card?? Because now I am sure she will not claim for green card of citizenship

Please reply
    Thanks
    EbonieBarbie Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2008, 09:32 PM
    Unfortunately it will take her signing the finaly form in order for the condition to be released from your green card. If you divorce her before then it will be hard to maintain the green card because it expires if the condition is not lifted from it. You best bet is to hang in there until you all sign the final papers for your citizenship. I know this because I did extensive research because my husband is from a foreign country. There are exceptions but extremely rare and mostly made for abused spouses.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Oct 22, 2008, 09:34 AM

It is tough situation. When there is condition attached, you would need to fulfill tha requirement, which in this case is remain married with US citizen spouse. If marriage irretrievably broke down, you may file a self petition to remove condition if you have solid proofs that you entered marriage in good faith, you were mentally, physically abused, and being deported would bring extreme hardship to you and your family.

Each case is different, so even if you retain an attorney, it does not guaranteed 100% approval, the best bet is hang in there until you get the condition lifted.
    martufella Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2012, 04:32 PM
    If I file for removal of conditional status but then my still spouse demage the biometric invitation letter so that I won't have the document for my appointment at the USCIS. What can I do?
    I filed for the form I-751, he signed but when I left the country (for family reasons), he, got so angry (he has an anger problem) and while my absence when I received the reply form USCIS, he demaged the letter. Will my application be denied then?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting divorce with green card [ 7 Answers ]

I just got my green card and I want to get divorce, can I do it without losing my status?

Divorce before conditional green card [ 2 Answers ]

My name is Nodira and I'm from Central Asia, I've been married to my husband for 5 months now, I have my fingerprints taken and waiting for my work permit, our marriage was difficult from very beginning, I knew him for 3 years, my father's friend introduced me to him, I always thought of him as my...

Divorce after issuance of conditional green card [ 1 Answers ]

If divorce revokes the conditional green card, and all sponsorship is automatically withdrawn including the I-864, does that mean I am no longer responsible for the alien national. What about the 10 year responsibility. What if he manages to get conditions removed with the help of an attorney and...

Divorce after green card [ 2 Answers ]

I got my green card from my father, and I got married in Brazil and gave a green card to my husband, we have two kids, they were born here in U.S, so my husband just got his green card two months ago , we are separated for 2 years , we want to get the divorce, my question is, can we get the...

Conditional green card [ 1 Answers ]

My spouse was granted a conditional green card which is only good for 2 years after which we were supposed to file together for the removal of conditions to secure a permanent resident status. We got divorced 6 months after the issuance of the cond. Green card. Can we remarry and file together...

View more questions Search