Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nae89 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2008, 06:22 PM
    Planning to buy a house that has settled
    My husband and I are looking to buy a house that has settled. The back side of the house was built on land fill and that's where the major setteling has occurred, there is a crack in the basement wall. What and whom do you suggest we do and contact. We want a fixer upper and the rest of the house is in great condition. I'm a first time buyer and absolutely clueless.
    Thanks,
    Naila
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2008, 06:33 PM

I for one would not buy this "fixer upper" unless I had a LOT of money to spend fixing it up. The settling will continue as landfills are not generally compacted down and will continue to "settle" until the house is broken in two. Would suggest you keep looking instead of settling (no pun intended) for this house. Landfills are not the best real estate to own either due to toxic stuff that would/is in the dumped garbage. You could get ill from the dump as well. I am sure that there are more fixer uppers out there right now that would be less hazardous to your health. Also, don't forget the methane gas that is released from garbage could affect your health as well. Are you sure you really, truly want this house? Please take a good second, third, fourth look at what you are getting into. You could regret your decision to buy this home real quick once you or your family gets ill and you are stuck with worse than a white elephant to get rid of.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 21, 2008, 07:23 PM

A houses settle, how big is the crack and exactly where is it located, maybe the corner of a window well?
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Oct 22, 2008, 05:29 PM
    I agree with Twinkie's post. Nobody would touch a house like this, regardless of the low price.

This is not a fixer upper, it could be your worst nightmare!!

Roger

Oct 22, 2008, 07:09 PM

All I see posted that describes the damage is " there is a crack in the basement wall" I do not see or hear anything that says this house is not worth fixng. Before we go further nae needs to get back to us and tell more about the foundation. Also many land fills are actually filled land, not necessarily garbage dumps but low spots filled with dirt and clay from another site.
    nae89 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Thanks a lot for all the great information and input it's kind of nice to have outside points of view. And I'm really glad that things didn't go through with this house it would have been a serious nightmare instead of joy a lot more was going on with this property than what I can handle. Thanks everyone.

Oct 23, 2008, 06:21 PM

Glad to hear that the fill was just dirt after all. It probably could have been a good investment had the FHA not messed things up.
    all about brick Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Nov 2, 2008, 05:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nae89 View Post
    My husband and I are looking to buy a house that has settled. the back side of the house was built on land fill and that's where the major setteling has occurred, there is a crack in the basement wall. what and whom do you suggest we do and contact. We want a fixer upper and the rest of the house is in great condition. I'm a first time buyer and absolutely clueless.
    thanks,
    naila
    Run away as fast as you can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sued for settled debt [ 5 Answers ]

We settled a credit card debt for less than the amount. They sent a letter saying "final payment for settlement of account received, settled in full. Credit Bureau report will say settled for less than full balance." We will get a 1099-C for the unpaid amount. A few months later, we received a...

Settled Debt;creditor wants more [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I was sued by Crown Asset Management (Pollack & Rosen). I settled before the court summons for 2400 out of the 3000. When they sent me the stipulation, it claims that I owe 2777+300 court costs. I paid 1200. And plan to pay the other 1200 in the next few weeks. The weird part was that the...

When will the HD-DVD format issue be settled? [ 20 Answers ]

Does anyone know when the powers that be might be deciding which format for HD-DVD/Blu-ray is going to reign surpreme? I'm waiting for that before I buy.

Divorce settlement may not be settled. [ 1 Answers ]

My close friend is engaged to a woman who has 3 kids and an Ex husband. A lot to sort out... Her divorce was settled out of court through 2 mediator attorneys. She got what was in the checking account and the home equity. He got his salary and moreover - a trust fund that kicks in in 2...

Is it really settled? [ 9 Answers ]

I was sent a settlement letter by a collection agency the debt was $307. They offered my a settlement $215 to settle debt paid. I sent them the money via Money order and return receipt in plenty of time. BUT the difference of $92. Is showing up on my credit bureau as an owed balance. What is...

View more questions Search