Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tovarem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2006, 05:06 PM
    Can I break my lease to buy a house?
    I have been trying to research online and I'm not getting anywhere. I live in Iowa, and my lease automatically renewed May 1 for another year because I didn't give 62 days notice. I unexpectedly was able to buy a house, which was not something I thought I would be able to do. Now my landlord is saying that I will be responsible to pay rent here until another tenant can be found. I heard from a friend that there is an exception to the lease laws when you give proper notice (which I gave over 45 days notice) and are buying a house. Is there any validity to that? Can anyone help me find the right places to go online to look this up for myself? I'm not trying to get out of the work, I just don't know where to go. Thank you to anyone who can help me.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 3, 2006, 05:21 PM
    Check this link. It is the Iowa Landlord Tenant Laws, you should be able to find it here
    http://www.thelpa.com/lpa/landlord-t...enant-law.html
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 3, 2006, 06:39 PM
    Your rental agreement is the first place to look, since it should contain all the reasons and the notice for either party to terminate the lease.

Next will he or does the lease allow you the right to sublet,

If not, what is the rental situation, if you give him a 30 or 60 days notice that you are moving, should he be able to find a tenant ? He does have a legal obligation to actively look for one. If he does not, then normally that relieves you of any rental payment due. ( but of course it would end up in court)

Not saying there is not a code in Iowa about it, but all I could find is that it would be up to the rental or lease agreement that you signed.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2006, 09:24 AM
    The key here will be whether it's enforceable to have the lease automatically renew for a year. In my state it is not permitted. Read through the above link to the laws - and ask a local attorney whether the renewal is enforceable if you don't find it addressed specifically in the laws.

Most attorney's would answer a simple question like that at no charge I'd think.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a Landlord Break Their Own Lease? From Wisconsin [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We've been having problems with quiet enjoyment in our new apartment home. We have neighbors next door to us with a surround sound system. The repetitive base noise has made living here very difficult to enjoy. Additionally, we have adjoining porches with this neighbor. They smoke on their...

Can I break the lease early [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I signed a 1year lease 3 months ago. We just broke up and I can't afford to pay the 1500 a month alone. I need to move out. I live in Florida and will move to NY with family. Is it true that in Fl you can break a lease if you move out of the state?

Need to break lease due to Relocation [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - Can you please help me! I move to VA just 7 months ago and have a 2 year lease. My job is relocating me to another state. Is there anything I can do to get out of the lease? Thanks in advance

Can I break the lease? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm in a one year lease on a house and I've decided to buy a home instead of rent. I'll be closing on the house that I'm buying at the end of this month and I have notified my landlord verbally but not in writing yet. He said that I would be stuck in the lease until it was up so I'll be paying my...

Break up... Or not? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, My boyfriend of a little over two months and I recently broke up... I think. He told me that he loves me and that he honestly feels he could spend the rest of his life with me... and that that frightens him a little, since he's only 17, and I'm 15. He said we needed to "put our...

View more questions Search