Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imation Posts: 284, Reputation: 36

Oct 21, 2008, 04:58 AM
    Use Ipod As External Hard Drive
    OK,

So I know that a iPod can be used as a external storage device (I have an 80G 6th generation)

I also know that itunes can still be easily used when the itunes music library is stored externally.

I want to merge these two ideas and have my itunes library in storage on my iPod, and still maintain usability.

Problems I can see are..
    My itunes telling me that it cannot sync with the iPod as there is no music library.
    This can be over come by telling itunes not to open automatically when the iPod is connected, and changing the itunes music pathway to accommodate the move

Are there any other things I should consider? Has anyone tried this? Will it work?
    There is surprisingly little on this specific topic online

Any input will help, thanks
    drdradle Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Oct 21, 2008, 09:58 AM

I would say just to go for it and try it out, if worst comes to worst you will have to just delete your itunes from your iPod, but most likely if something doesn't work you should be able to just move it off the iPod and back onto the original HDD.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

External hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

I am running a HP A1657C PC,I would like to purchase a external hard drive about 160 gig can you advice which one would be right for me. I want to back up c drive and at present only using about 30 gig but want room to expand. Thanks for reading this and any info you can offer Alan

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

External Hard Drive [ 2 Answers ]

What up, I just purchased a new PC and I would like to know if I upload all my music and pictures on the PC, will I be able to transfer all info to an external hard drive if I purchase one months down the road? Appreciate the help and Happy Holidays to all!

Need a non-USB external hard drive [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to utilize an old (read: OLD) Thinkpad to play .mp3's on my home stereo. Problem is, the laptop doesn't have a USB port. Are there (ok, were there) ext h-d's that weren't USB dependent, or do I need to find a USB flash card?

External hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Freecom External Classic Hard Drive, 153 GB Available. Attempted to “Microsoft Backup” my Laptop (approx 40GB of data) to External Hard Drive. After about 10 minutes of operating I got the following Message – “You have either run out space or the backup file (.BKF) is too large for...

View more questions Search